BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall v rovers

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley on the ball was dreadful, I have always felt that people focus too much on his physicality when in fact today, he won the ball back a few times but the slowness of thought and his use of the ball was piss poor, bar one superb run that should have led to a penalty.

Couldn't disagree more with this statement so I've provided some video evidence to back up my point. Buckley was brilliant on the ball and I don't understand how you can say he wasn't? He showed good strength, moved us forward, made key runs, split the lines. He wasn't slow at all.

66:01 - The ball to Gallagher in the box for that shot in the 2nd half.
68:39 - The run into the box and ball across for Dack. [Penalty Claim]
30:52 - Wins ball back with some good strength, finds pass quickly and moves play on.
44:58 - Quick first time pass over to Barry Douglas. Smart move, moved it quickly and didn't dither.
18:42 - Key interception leading to big chance for us. Showed speed to get there and awareness to see it coming.

6 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The only difference yesterday was the (extremely poor) quality of the opposition.

The difference was Buckley, JRC, Dolan all starting for me. Some young, hungry aggression. Was needed.

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Couldn't disagree more with this statement so I've provided some video evidence to back up my point. Buckley was brilliant on the ball and I don't understand how you can say he wasn't? He showed good strength, moved us forward, made key runs, split the lines. He wasn't slow at all.

30:52 - Wins ball back with some good strength, finds pass quickly and moves play on.
44:58 - Quick first time pass over to Barry Douglas. Smart move, moved it quickly and didn't dither.
18:42 - Key interception leading to big chance for us. Showed speed to get there and awareness to see it coming.

I like the lad but he was playing in the first half wasn't he ?

17 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Was Dack playing further forward yesterday? 

Not sure why he wouldn't work with AA, it's not as if Dolan is a big target man. 

Having a target man who is prepared to turn a bad pass into a good pass with pure willingness to chase balls down is a massive asset in every team. That's one of the things that made Bellamy and Speedie such difficult opponents. Size isn't everything in a striker.

I don't think Armstrong is as keen to chase lost causes as Dolan is. Dolan's got a trick or two on the ball, Armstrong is just pure pace.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The only difference yesterday was the (extremely poor) quality of the opposition.

If we win the next 4 then we can give Tony some credit.

And we scored first with a lucky deflection. . That makes a big difference. Lucky goals are better than ordinary goals in one respect, you start to think " This is going to be our day for once ".

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You are forensically looking for stuff.  This is all very basic stuff you would expect,  like passing and tackling.  

The bar is very low in your book.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That last clip when he slots Gally in - sublime pass that even Gally was surprised to get.

I think a few have judged him a bit too early and have backed themselves into a corner. Can't wait to see him blossom in thstc team. He's a very talented lad. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That last clip when he slots Gally in - sublime pass that even Gally was surprised to get.

I think a few have judged him a bit too early and have backed themselves into a corner. Can't wait to see him blossom in thstc team. He's a very talented lad. 

The run for the Dack " trip " was a great piece of play. It deserved a goal.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You are forensically looking for stuff.  This is all very basic stuff you would expect,  like passing and tackling.  

The bar is very low in your book.

It's not forensic at all. I can find these clips quite quickly through the platforms I use. These five clips are just a snippet. There's an upload limit and I was also conscious of taking up an entire page with clips of JB. 

He wasn't perfect, but finding clips of him doing good things wasn't hard.

This stuff isn't basic. Not every midfielder in our team or in this league is making those passes and those interceptions for me. He's a good young player who keeps proving people wrong. He's got 1,500+ minutes under his belt now for us, which I think people forget, we need to get behind him!

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The run for the Dack " trip " was a great piece of play. It deserved a goal.

Or a penalty! Thought it had gone out on first viewing but he did keep it in to be fair.

59 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Highlight was easily Trybull. When substituted, he went off on the far side and proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the pitch to the dug outs, throwing all the available spare footballs into the stand. World class.

This aside, Trybull was very good yesterday.

• Like 4

I said way back in the first game he played that we had found something special in Dolan. For me above anything else the most impressive feature is the way the ball sticks close to his feet. Players daren't dive in at him or he's gone.  Doesn't matter how fast he's running or how hard the ball is fired at him that ball is glued to his toes. With that as his core skill the rest can be added or taken away as the coaches see fit. It's spectacular to see him dump players on their arses with tricks but yesterday showed he has so much more and the player he can become. Well impressed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I tink JRC exposed Nayambe's poor positioning and passing during his hour on the pitch.  He didn't seem to get forward to same extent though.  For me right back, as long as he can keep fit, is sorted for next season.  

Nyambe is the better defender in the truest sense. JRC is a more rounded footballer.

• Like 3

I thought Buckley played well yesterday, not necessarily from a standout point of view, but much better than usual. I’d be interested to rewatch it again and try and focus on Buckley like @JoeHobviously has. 

I’m quite wary of video snippets, but will give it the benefit of the doubt because it’s Joe posting them and not a generic stats account. I used to work for the biggest sports broadcaster in the world and we often used to create a narrative then find snippets to back up our agenda. I once produced a 2 minute segment on why Kovacic was the best central midfielder in the Premier League because we wanted to see if we could make a convincing argument. It was broadcast to millions of people and was entirely plausible. He’s not even the best midfielder at Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

He definitely also gave quite a number of very lax sloppy passes away yesterday. He was mixed in terms of his on the ball play. His main 2 contributions were very decent. The Gally pass and the run and pass for the penalty claim. But he absolutely did give it away under little pressure on multiple occasions. 

In saying that it was by far his best performance as he was actually brilliant off the ball. Some strong tackles, good interceptions and a lot more energy. Overall I'd say it was a good performance. But he was bloody sloppy at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

If we win the next 4 then we can give Tony some credit.

Not entirely true. We’ve played some real crap recently and made them look half decent. The performance yesterday was good. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Having a target man who is prepared to turn a bad pass into a good pass with pure willingness to chase balls down is a massive asset in every team. That's one of the things that made Bellamy and Speedie such difficult opponents. Size isn't everything in a striker.

I don't think Armstrong is as keen to chase lost causes as Dolan is. Dolan's got a trick or two on the ball, Armstrong is just pure pace.

Armstrong is an athlete, Dolan is a footballer.

• Like 1