BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, saintsfan said:

I'm not sure if an update will be appreciated, as if I saw a Villa fan pop onto our forum to ask about Ings I wouldn't be too happy right now!

In terms of Obafemi, he has had a few fitness/injury problems which seem to be related to a lack of professionalism a while back. Our manager seems to believe that he's over these issues (https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19255734.hasenhuttl-happy-obafemi-back-fit---hints-spell-help-career/) and was apparently impressed with him coming into preseason this year. It looks like we're about to confirm Borja on loan from Chelsea who will be our new "third choice" striker option, behind Che and Armstrong. This is likely the role which Obafemi would have been aiming for, making it likely that we'd be happy to sell and he'd ultimately be happy to leave. I think we'd take anything upwards of £4m, similar to the Sam Gallagher deal.

He looked good in our preseason games against Championship opposition, and got an assist (https://youtu.be/2FhKbaB-uTY?t=57) against Cardiff from a high press which is a big part of his game. He also got an assist against Fulham I believe in our first preseason game. He's definitely a good player with bags of potential, and his attributes are similar to quite a few Championship forwards who've done well in recent years (Ayew, Gayle, Gray...).

I've read a few times that Armstrong is quite wasteful and takes 3/4 efforts to actually score a chance, would you say that's fair? Must have created an absolute shit tonne if he still managed to bag 28. I hope this has been somewhat helpful, and you've definitely got a good player if the deal does go through.

To be honest, he has his days when he's on it, he's likely to get you a goal. When he's not on it, he can't be wasteful, both by missing chances and also by not playing better placed team mates in. 

If he gets off the mark early for you, he will do well overall. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

if what Phil is saying is correct, it seems that if Obafemi doesn't come, that's 3 mill more from them, so would assume thats the valuation of the player. 18 mil - not what we all hoped, but its better than 15.

£18m would be a club record, no?

Mixed views on Obafemi tbh.

If he's being used purely as a make weight to bring the fee down for Southampton is his heart gonna be in it? Sounds like he might have a bit of an attitude to start with, I'd Mowbray really gonna get on with him?

Despite the above we do need to strengthen though in this window 100%. When Gallagher (who I'm not even the biggest fan of) went down injured on Saturday it was worrying, we're walking far too much of a tightrope.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neophox said:

Never heard about Obafemi... Says it all.. 

Oh you haven't heard of him must be a bad player then.

Armstrong wanted premier league football ,yes he should have been tied down to a longer contract and we should have got more money for him but after the season he had he was always going to leave 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

If he's being used purely as a make weight to bring the fee down for Southampton is his heart gonna be in it? Sounds like he might have a bit of an attitude to start with, I'd Mowbray really gonna get on with him?

Despite the above we do need to strengthen though in this window 100%. When Gallagher (who I'm not even the biggest fan of) went down injured on Saturday it was worrying, we're walking far too much of a tightrope.

He has to agree to the move , Southampton can't force him.He is out of contract next season.

Maybe he will look at Armstrong and see how the move to Rovers worked out for him

Just now, islander200 said:

He has to agree to the move , Southampton can't force him.He is out of contract next season.

Maybe he will look at Armstrong and see how the move to Rovers worked out for him

I known they can't force him but the worry is that it would be a reluctant move rather one filled with enthusiasm. OR he could view it as a chance to kick-start his career, just a bit wary that's all - although struggling to think of many realistic alternatives so.....

• Like 1

How do we pay Obafemi?

We've supposedly tried and failed to offer new deals to Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell.

If we had any sense we would be offering extensions to Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Brereton

Yet unable or unwilling to.

In the very unlikely event this Obafemi is on less money than all those players then it doesn't add up.

I also don't fancy taking him with a supposed value of several million and doing Soton yet more favours by taking him now against Armstrong's value when they are set to lose him next year for free.

I'd rather actually use the cash more effectively and in a more balanced manner, investing in 3 or 4 areas of the squad.

Suspect there's some chain yanking going on here just to keep concerned supporters quiet whilst they get Armstrong out the door.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

His attitude is probably more of a worry than his poor goalscoring record and his fitness

I wonder how he'll cope when he becomes part of Tony's Tombola..... dropped one week, playing out of position the next or (more likely) sitting on the sub's bench for months while he adjusts to Tony's "system"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saintsfan said:

I've read a few times that Armstrong is quite wasteful and takes 3/4 efforts to actually score a chance, would you say that's fair? Must have created an absolute shit tonne if he still managed to bag 28.

He had 745 shots though. (Okay more like 150).

Around half of those were just stupid attempts for infividual glory.

He has scored all types of goals (he is just very inconsistent), except he has a frustrating inability to round the 'keeper 1v1 and misses far too many of those chances as a result, which is baffling for someone of his speed. He's also fairly trash at penalties.

He will definitely have a few in contention for your goal (and miss) of the season.

Just don't expect him to make smart decisions in the final third as 9 times out of 10 will scuff a shot from a stupid area when he could play a simple (and killer pass).

Unless he has matured and will adapt to not being the preverbial alpha or big fish in small pond. 

If Josh King could be a solid Premiership striker, Armstrong has every chance.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

His attitude is probably more of a worry than his poor goalscoring record and his fitness

I wonder how he'll cope when he becomes part of Tony's Tombola..... dropped one week, playing out of position the next or (more likely) sitting on the sub's bench for months while he adjusts to Tony's "system"

Seems a good kid in his interviews. I know you haven't seen him kick a ball, but surely you have watched his interviews to be able to base a view on his attitude? 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How do we pay Obafemi?

We've supposedly tried and failed to offer new deals to Nyambe, Armstrong and Rothwell.

If we had any sense we would be offering extensions to Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Brereton

Yet unable or unwilling to.

In the very unlikely event this Obafemi is on less money than all those players then it doesn't add up.

I also don't fancy taking him with a supposed value of several million and doing Soton yet more favours by taking him now against Armstrong's value when they are set to lose him next year for free.

I'd rather actually use the cash more effectively and in a more balanced manner, investing in 3 or 4 areas of the squad.

Suspect there's some chain yanking going on here just to keep concerned supporters quiet whilst they get Armstrong out the door.

What cash? On who? 

We need a striker 

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yeah, from what I've read and heard he's not likely to be coming in with the lemon fancies,

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

He had 745 shots though. (Okay more like 150).

Around half of those were just stupid attempts for infividual glory.

He has scored all types of goals (he is just very inconsistent), except he has a frustrating inability to round the 'keeper 1v1 and misses far too many of those chances as a result, which is baffling for someone of his speed. He's also fairly trash at penalties.

He will definitely have a few in contention for your goal (and miss) of the season.

Just don't expect him to make smart decisions in the final third as 9 times out of 10 will scuff a shot from a stupid area when he could play a simple (and killer pass).

Unless he has matured and will adapt to not being the preverbial alpha or big fish in small pond. 

If Josh King could be a solid Premiership striker, Armstrong has every chance.

Jesus and I get accused of slating Armstrong 😆

Ah no fair play, we can all have an opinion on a player after watching them...and some even without ever watching them 😉😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

We need to get our players on long term contracts priority number 1. Mowbray spent 12 million on strikers, they should be able to do a job

We are getting Obafemi for around £3 million it seems, not sure how that and his wages could stretch to strengthening '3-4" areas of the team. The players contacts are a seperate issue, who knows what's going on there. It seems to me the salary cap has been lowered and its hitting those at the top. 

To be fair to Tony he's done okay with young players when they've joined - Armstrong himself being an example, Brereton has started looking decent, Rothwell obviously has done well. Not too many young players have turned out to be turkeys. So I will watch with interest how Obafemi does. I won't be writing him off. 

Does anyone know if we can invest further? Assuming we get Obafemi my priority list would be 1) centre back (Ayala is going to get injured very soon I am sure), 2) right back (Im assuming JRC is going to struggle to be fit), 3) centre mid, 4) left back. The squads so thin we could arguably use another CB and CM on top of that. But say we have £5m to spend we will be lucky to get three players.

(I know there's a strong argument that we need to replace Armstrong's goals, but if we bring in Obafemi that means we've spent £15m+ on three strikers - so we have to look to them to get the goals. Also McBride looks to me like he will score).

In terms of types of players to bring in I would focus on young players with potential unless there is genuine quality with experience out there who can stay fit. I'd be very cautious - so many of the "experienced" buys do not bring enough consistency and struggle with injury.... eg. Dougas, Ayala, Johnson. All those players were probs on wages at least 3x young players like Travis or Rothwell who play more games and add more to the team over a season.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He signed at the start of the 1966-67 post relegation season from Preston replacing Fred Else. We spent the Mike England money on Barton, Barry Hole and Alan Gilliver. 

1966-67 season  he played in all 46 games league and cup.

1967-68 season he played 33 games sharing the job with Adam Blacklaw.

1968-69 season he played 3 games with Adam Blacklaw the No 1 keeper playing the rest.

1969-70 season he played he played 9 games with Adam Blacklaw playing 32. We’d signed Roger Jones later on in that season and Barton was released.

I didn’t realise he played so many games.

He was short and stocky, and I’m being kind when I say stocky. He looked like he was a test pilot for “ Holland’s “.

His nickname was “the flying pig”.

Sweet😀