BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yes, essentially. They value Obafemi at 6 million so if what Nixon says is true (haha), we're essentially getting him for nothing which brings the overall deal for AA to 21 million. 

Expect a similar sell-on clause in that case. Free transfer but a percentage of any future fee

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roverthechimp said:

Expect a similar sell-on clause in that case. Free transfer but a percentage of any future fee

Just wonder about wages, what would this kid be on?

And yeah, once they knew we allowed a 40% clause on AA, they are probably starting to rub their hands together. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

Looks good on paper but Dack may never return to the form we saw early days here and as for Chapman----is he ever fit?

Dack was just unlucky but we have developed a habit of gambling on players with terrible injury records----probably because they're cheap. And its bitten us on the arse.

Aye. Don't disagree on Dack.  Would only play him off the bench this season.  He'll be very lucky to come back from doing both knees. 

We've almost always been willing to take a punt on injury plagued players.  Probably just the market we operate in.  Very hit and miss.  

Santa Cruz was made of glass but what a season and profit we got out of him. Then his injuries kicked in again.  Martin Dahlin never worked out.

Sometimes the younger lads struggle with hamstrings etc as they develop through their late teens.  Josh King is a prime example. Rapid but lots of niggles. As he got towards mid twenties, his injury record improved considerably.  

Still worth taking a punt on some of these players, High risk, high reward.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Reportedly more clubs than us are after Obafemi so guess they must have seen something they like, or are we the true experts here?

That doesn't make sense either.  It's all just fallen into place...🤷‍♂️ if I was a 6m player I wouldn't want to be sold for nothing with no signing fee etc....

All this stinks, that lad is either a crock or not coming. Why would he not sit and see his deal out if he's worth all this money?

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gavrover said:

Indeed.. we are getting 15 million and then in effect getting a player on a free in a sep deal. You could argue he could be worth 3 or 20 million but if he comes no money will be exchanged.. so it's kind of pointless discussing his worth

Let's hope the free player goes under the radar. Low key annoucement over the weekend?

23 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That doesn't make sense either.  It's all just fallen into place...🤷‍♂️ if I was a 6m player I wouldn't want to be sold for nothing with no signing fee etc....

All this stinks, that lad is either a crock or not coming. Why would he not sit and see his deal out if he's worth all this money?

How exactly would his price tag determine his signing on fee one way or the other? I highly doubt Southampton will pay £20-21m for Armstrong should Obafemi choose to run down his contract or play for a different club than ours.

One would hope the lad wants to play and prove himself in the early doors of his career, same as Armstrong did.

Just out of interest and from my own observations, Newcastle United are not an equation in the deal with AA or Obefemi. They are the recipients of 40% of the profit on AA only. So, by my reckoning the lesser cash value rovers get the lesser money they pay out.

They cannot interfere with the deal, they cannot even dispute it because the FA/Pl are the only ones who can intervene on a transfer deal.

There's a lot of arguing over what the fee is for Obefemi,i for one will wait until he actually joins before deciding if the fee is too much or not.There's no evidence that he'd want to swap the premier league for a mid table to lower Championship club.With only 1 year left on his contract are we sure he's not just going to run his contract down and pick his own team to join next summer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Darrenbot said:

There's a lot of arguing over what the fee is for Obefemi,i for one will wait until he actually joins before deciding if the fee is too much or not.There's no evidence that he'd want to swap the premier league for a mid table to lower Championship club.With only 1 year left on his contract are we sure he's not just going to run his contract down and pick his own team to join next summer.

Yeah we might all be speculating for nothing lol. We would never know the fee anyway. Will just be undisclosed.

Don't know much about Obafemi but there is enough about him that most Championship clubs would take a punt on the player - especially on a free in 12 months.   Also possible that some would be willing to pay a decent fee for him now.  

I doubt we would be able to beat off other suitors if he was on a free, so getting him now would be reasonably shrewd.

In my humble opinion.  I'd be surprised if he wanted to come here though.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We haven't saved money if the asking price for Obafemi is excessive or inflated.

I just think it is quite extreme that for a club supposedly in dire straits financially, one that is unable to even issue new contracts or sign free agents, that we are now 'paying' £5 or £6 million for this guy and however much wages he is on.

A club that also apparently cannot maintain or staff its ground properly, or is seeking to sell its training ground to raise much needed cash

• Like 1

Maybe Obafemi will see this move as an opportunity to enhance his reputation. He may see himself as a big fish in a small pond here and if he starts to bang in some goals he would hope that other clubs will start to take note. He really doesn’t have anything to lose as Southampton don’t want him, one season to  prove he is worth a decent contract back in the top league. If he does come then let’s hope he carries on where Arma left off.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

The fee will be undisclosed anyway

• Like 1

Straw poll:

Who'd rather we spent £3m - £6m on:  

1. A player with a long history of injuries and unproven quality who has had attitude problems in the past

2. Renovating and upgrading Ewood Park from its current unkempt state

3. Retaining a first class training ground that 25 years on is still the envy of many Premier League clubs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The first 11 on Saturday was respectable -with plenty of players capable of  room to improve over a season. 

We have players to return from injury: JRC, Wharton, Johnson, Chapman, Dack.  All of whom would be expected to be in the bench at least when fit.

We have lads such as Butterworth, McBride, Garret, Cirino, Pike, Carter that could slot in for the odd game or cover the bench.  We have a million keepers.

3 signings that can go straight into the first team are all that's needed at this point of time IMO.  A CB, CM and striker.

Not a problem if If we take a punt on a talented kid (from an elite club) on top of that but not essential. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not a group dripping with quality but the less players we have, the less Tony can tinker which may actually make us more consistent.

I'd agree with this if we didn't pick up so many injuries.

Jrc can't be relied upon at minute because he breaks down every few matches.It will take Dack until after Christmas most likely to be back.He hasn't had much of an opportunity but can we rely on Chapman.Cirino has had one friendly against Leeds looked good but maybe regular minutes for a season in league 1 or 2 would be best all round for his development

• Like 1