BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

56 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

....... because ManU are a quoted plc with access to public market funding and both United and Spurs have multi-multi-billionaire owners who ultimately will keep the clubs afloat because they are backed by rich assets like the players, the stadiums and the commercial interests

Brighton, like Rovers, are a smaller/medium sized club with wealthy owners but limited spending power

Debt ultimately for those sort of clubs is unsustainable

That's why it matters

Brighton still spend and are being linked with strikers who will cost in excess of £20 million 

In previous seasons 20 million on Maupay from the Championship.22 millon .

Adam Webster a central defender bought from Bristol City.22 million had never played above the championship

Edited by islander200

31 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm fine with that as long as he's happy being 5th choice and used in a midfield rotation.

I'd much rather play Buckley, Rothwell and Travis with Davenport off the bench. We need depth there, not starters.

I don't think that we should actively be aiming for someone not as good as those 4. We should aim to bring in first team quality, someone who in theory is better or at least as good as those, especially with the question marks over Buckley and Rothwell over a consistent basis. Of course, at this moment in time, that trio very much have those shirts to lose.

Regarding Clarkson, I am unconvinced that a player with only a couple of senior appearances would provide that to be fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Hes a one hit wonder in terms of producing a goal tally worthy of an epl club taking a risk on him.  If he hits another 25 or 30 goals this season its a different story

Armstrong is a goalscorer and his stats in the last 18 months back that up when played as number 9 striker position

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

....... because ManU are a quoted plc with access to public market funding and both United and Spurs have multi-multi-billionaire owners who ultimately will keep the clubs afloat because they are backed by rich assets like the players, the stadiums and the commercial interests

Brighton, like Rovers, are a smaller/medium sized club with wealthy owners but limited spending power

Debt ultimately for those sort of clubs is unsustainable

That's why it matters

Brighton owner Tony Bloom is a billionaire Jim. You say that Brighton are in debt by 279 million pounds but that is owed to their owner just like ours is owed to our owners. 

Plus they have spent over 200 million pounds over the last 4 years(seasons 18/19 to 21/22) and will continue to spend this summer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Regarding Clarkson, I am unconvinced that a player with only a couple of senior appearances would provide that to be fair.

does anyone know what type of midfield player is he?

Also if he can performed as well as Elliott did last season he will be good loan signing but I don't know anything about him, but it is a position where we need 1 signing in before the deadline

I am no expert but where has anyone seen a story that Armstrongnhas said he wants to leave?

All we have isnthatbhenhas so far declined to sign the contract that has been offered to him.

Any professional footballer who ‘strikes or sulks” whilst having to play in contract sends a totally wrong message out to any prospective employer so being professional he would have little option but to carry on performing both in training and for the first team especially if he was looking to move or attract additional interest in him. No performing means no real interest, injury fears or not.

Edited by 1864roverite

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

The longer it drags on, the fewer cards we hold. Other clubs know this.

As long as something happens this window the more it drags on the stronger our bargaining position becomes assuming the Club's who are interested are sufficiently desperate for a goalscorer.

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I am no expert but where has anyone seen a story that Armstrongnhas said he wants to leave?

All we have isnthatbhenhas so far declined to sign the contract that has been offered to him.

Any professional footballer who ‘strikes or sulks” whilst having to play in contract sends a totally wrong message out to any prospective employer so being professional he would have little option but to carry on performing both in training and for the first team especially if he was looking to move or attract additional interest in him. No performing means no real interest, injury fears or not.

Mowbray more or less said it in his pre match press conference 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he stays and does any kind of serious injury, he might never make it to the PL and I'm sure him and his agent know that.

Players (like managers) tend to have a healthy estimate of their own ability. Armstrong won't be thinking that if he stays this season that'll be his last chance at the PL gone. He'll be assuming that he'll have another very good season and if he ran his contract down he'd have his pick of Clubs as a free agent.

He could hypothetically get a serious injury here but realistically it's far more likely he won't.

I wouldn't necessarily be wanting to keep him if we stood to pocket £15 or £20 m from his sale but for a net £7 or £8m it's simply not worth selling imo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think Mowbray just truly believes his own waffle. He wasn't trying to elevate expectations last season. He genuinely believed he was going to take us up and with 5 subs possible he decided to spunk our money on a hugely inflated squad size with nothing left over for contracts. So nothing untoward, but putting his own career first as he wanted another promotion on his Cv. That and cushy contracts for the boys. Regardless of anything this situation is of his own making. 

That is what winds people up more than anything with hi. Often he just commentates on it, like he's a fan watching it all unfold rather than the fella in the middle of it all calling the shots and rolling the dice.

Strange that because other times he tends to end up making it all about himself when there's anything to martyr over.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would definitely take Elliott back if the opportunity arose. I wonder what's happening there? 

He's playing for Liverpool now in what's a strong team and basically not far off their starting 11 next week. Not sure why they'd do that if he's going out on loan as reported.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I suspect in a few weeks or months time Armstrong will give an interview and claim that there was never a contract offer from Rovers on the table.

I think the same happened with Ben Marshall.

If that happens it will be a choice for individuals as to whether they believe the player, who would have little reason to lie, or the people at Rovers, famed for their arse covering, who would have every reason to lie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Some good quality youngsters there.

We may have some good quality youngsters of our own as well but we'll never find out if they're behind those of City/Liverpool/Everton.

If said PL youngsters are getting us promoted, different story.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't agree with this point. He's young...making the wrong move now for the sake of it is just as bad a career move..   Nobody seems to really want him or they'd have sorted it by now.  He will be considering staying to run his deal down

If nobody paying enough for him now is a sign they don't really want him, clubs looking to get him for free want him even less if anything. The same at best.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We may have some good quality youngsters of our own as well but we'll never find out if they're behind those of City/Liverpool/Everton.

If said PL youngsters are getting us promoted, different story.

I agree but to get them in the squad to add more depth on a rotational basis makes sense. Not everyone will stay injury free. 25+ games in a competitve leauge is a win win for both parties.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would definitely take Elliott back if the opportunity arose. I wonder what's happening there? 

Noticed he is currently trending on twitter (although with Rovers not Liverpool for some reason)

Anyway, its just a load of Lpool fans saying how great he's been and want to keep him around.

Screenshot_20210808-182336_Twitter.jpg