BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

13 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Unless Blackpool beat Stoke……..

Yes.  I see this as a significant game.  Are we going to beat a top side, make a statement, at least show something for the 4/5 years in charge.....or do we just wither back into 9/10th as usual.....we need to put a big boy to the sword.

• Like 2

Strangely, I’m enjoying the games so far…..the QPR game was cack and the 2-2 draws were infuriating but the team is likeable.

I applauded the exodus of hangers-on and misfits last term……….Their replacements may be a bit flawed (or young!) but, with the exception of Poveda and Clarkson, they have put in some good performances. 
Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Pickering/Edun at the back are solid. Ayala has toughened us up no end…..what an influence! I like van Hecke…..what if he’d scored on that ‘full-length of the field’ charge v Reading??? And Carter.

The midfield needs more ‘bite’ ……teams waltz through too easily too often but Buckley is growing in stature and Rothwell is finding an end product at last. We need the pre-injury Travis back. Johnson was decent last time out.

Before the season started I really thought we’d struggle to score goals. Well, there wasn’t much optimism to be drawn from last year’s performances was there? BBD……..unbelievable…….it’s gotta be self-belief I guess but very, very impressive. Dolan can be quiet but on his day he’s a joy to watch. I’ve given Gallagher heaps on here but, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, he’s rated 6th best player in the Championship on whoscored.com!!! I dunno how they justify that but even I am now hoping he’ll stay fit. Khadra looks like he could make a contribution in attack too.

And there’s the BIG weak spot……..if 2 or 3 of the players I mentioned get injured we’re in big trouble. The squad is wafer thin Still, we’ve a chance to go into the top 6 tonight so I’ve set the alarm!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tonyoz said:

Strangely, I’m enjoying the games so far…..the QPR game was cack and the 2-2 draws were infuriating but the team is likeable.

I applauded the exodus of hangers-on and misfits last term……….Their replacements may be a bit flawed (or young!) but, with the exception of Poveda and Clarkson, they have put in some good performances. 
Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Pickering/Edun at the back are solid. Ayala has toughened us up no end…..what an influence! I like van Hecke…..what if he’d scored on that ‘full-length of the field’ charge v Reading??? And Carter.

The midfield needs more ‘bite’ ……teams waltz through too easily too often but Buckley is growing in stature and Rothwell is finding an end product at last. We need the pre-injury Travis back. Johnson was decent last time out.

Before the season started I really thought we’d struggle to score goals. Well, there wasn’t much optimism to be drawn from last year’s performances was there? BBD……..unbelievable…….it’s gotta be self-belief I guess but very, very impressive. Dolan can be quiet but on his day he’s a joy to watch. I’ve given Gallagher heaps on here but, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, he’s rated 6th best player in the Championship on whoscored.com!!! I dunno how they justify that but even I am now hoping he’ll stay fit. Khadra looks like he could make a contribution in attack too.

And there’s the BIG weak spot……..if 2 or 3 of the players I mentioned get injured we’re in big trouble. The squad is wafer thin Still, we’ve a chance to go into the top 6 tonight so I’ve set the alarm!

Good post. I think your point about the midfield lacking bite and being able to impose itself is spot on and why for me we perhaps aren't a top 6 starting 11. I'd also question whether we can guarantee the strikers (bar Ben) can impose themselves enough/stick it away enough for a really sustained challenge. However their goal return is pretty decent so perhaps that's me being overly negative. The midfield though, definitely needs to dominate more. 

As you say the squad is what lets us down. The loss of two or three key players makes a huge difference. No cover for Nayambe, I know we seem to get goals but without Bereton I would be worried, very few positive changes to be made after the first 11. The drop in quality after the first 11 is quite scary. 

Mind you I remember the Dingles getting promoted with a paper thin squad and few injuries so it is possible. But I do think, even if we avoid serious injuries, we are a bit of midfield dominance away from managing it if I am honest 

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree. 

Cardiff have no money to spend and more cutbacks next season plus having to bring through youth

I think oldjamfan1 was having a joke, about him taking on both jobs. I may be wrong, but that is my sort of humour. Eric Morcambes type of line

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Him and Gibson agreed before the game he would be sacked. 

Supposedly sacked cos Wilder will come and join Boro

I doubt the wording would be that Warnock agreed to be sacked,who in their right mind says yeah i should be sacked.More like he agreed to have his contract paid off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Hughton, McCarthy and Warnock have all been sacked this season by their club after poor starts to the season. 

I wouldn't want any of those 3 at Rovers to replace Mowbray. 

Yeah amazing how many were crying out for Rovers to take one of these instead of Mowbray and you can throw Pearson in as well, strange game.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I think Warnock is a little more complicated than just a poor start to the season. They're only 4 points off the playoffs so they aren't doing that badly. From what I've read it's more of a case of they know he's leaving at the end of the season anyway and had identified somebody available now who they felt would be a good long-term option - which appears to be Wilder. Makes sense to bring him in before the January window so that he can begin shaping the squad as he sees fit. They agreed to pay Warnock off for the time he had left and no hard feelings, judging by his interview after the game.

McCarthy and Hughton did have absolute nightmares this season, but let's remember Mowbray has had plenty of those himself. It happens - sometimes things just don't work out. In fact if Mowbray was being judged on the same criteria as those two were at their clubs he'd have probably been removed during the 2 wins in 17 run last season.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why? Would be a huge gamble.

Any appointment is a gamble. 

Just feel that his background in working in youth development and in Belgium. Plus his Cardiff links and the facts that Cardiff are in financial problems and want to use more academy players due to cut backs there

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

So Hughton, McCarthy and Warnock have all been sacked this season by their club after poor starts to the season. 

I wouldn't want any of those 3 at Rovers to replace Mowbray. 

8 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yeah amazing how many were crying out for Rovers to take one of these instead of Mowbray and you can throw Pearson in as well, strange game.

So there is a big question mark over whether these chaps have had their day but here's the thing: at least they had a day. All three have been massively more successful over their careers than TM.

McCarthy promotions with Wolves and Sunderland, managed an international team and had Ipswich punching above their weight. Houghton promotions with barcodes and Brighton who he also kept up. Warnock more promotions than hot dinners plus imo his best work keeping Rotherham up. All miles more successful than TM. Are they past it? Possibly - but all I think have shown they are better managers than TM will ever be. And if you had to appoint one of them for a club it wouldn't be TM. 

then there's the character side of things. After his latest comments I'd say Houghton and McCarthy are far better characters than TM - more integrity. Not the sole or most important factor in appointing a manager but my word it would be nice to have some integrity in the dugout. 

And here's another thing. When these managers have done badly they have been sacked by their clubs. TM has taken us on several similar runs and been kept in post. Would they have turned it round it they were so unsackable? I'm not so sure but at any other club TM would have been sacked several times over and labelled a failure. 

There may well be better managerial options out there. These guys may be past it. But on so many levels I'd say they are streets ahead of TM. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, unsall said:

But a lot of people act as if Mowbray has never been sacked before. I’m sure for most neutrals he’d be bottom of the pile.

• Like 1

Boro's appointment of Chris Wilder made my heart sink. 

The naive, deluded part of me that still dreams we might have a chance of sneaking into 6th place realises that Boro now have a realistic chance of squeezing us out of that equation, however we perform. 

Just hope that it takes Wilder a few months to get the team to play his way, but I doubt it will....

Edited by garnersfags

• Backroom

I wish we had the kind of foresight and future thinking that Boro do. Rather than wait until the end of the season with a manager they knew was leaving, they snapped up somebody available who they believed could take them forward in the long-term. Paid off Warnock without any quibbles and everybody leaves on good terms. A very professional way of doing things.

• Like 7