BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

3 hours ago, DE. said:

He stepped in as caretaker when Wilder left, so assume it's more that than Heckingbottom being given the role permanently. Who knows, though. Not to dissimilar to us giving Bowyer the job back in the day.

Oh, it's more than that, he's signed a 4 year contract.

The bloke has been a terrible manager, bombing at Leeds and Hibs. Even his caretaker role earlier in the year with Sheff Utd he oversaw 8 losses in 11 games.

They'll be lucky to stay up.

• Like 1

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Oh, it's more than that, he's signed a 4 year contract.

The bloke has been a terrible manager, bombing at Leeds and Hibs. Even his caretaker role earlier in the year with Sheff Utd he oversaw 8 losses in 11 games.

They'll be lucky to stay up.

Didn;t see that... oh well, one less team for us to worry about.

• Like 1

extremely surprised by Sheffield United appointing Heckingbottom on a such a lengthy contract and by some of comments from the press conference. It appears that the finances aren't healthy at all and Jokanovic wanted more players in January and I doubt they were willing to back him again. Plus I read an article on the Athletic website about this also. 

On the Heckingbottom appointment, Its a very strange one. I suspect he will be bringing through their young players from the academy whilst selling or release a few senior players in the coming months. 

This comment from Sheffield United CEO surprised me today. 

"   New Blades boss Paul Heckingbottom will not be judged on his results as Sheffield United manager, chief executive Stephen Bettis has said, "

Sheffield United: New boss Paul Heckingbottom won't be judged on results, chief executive reveals | The Star

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

extremely surprised by Sheffield United appointing Heckingbottom on a such a lengthy contract and by some of comments from the press conference. It appears that the finances aren't healthy at all and Jokanovic wanted more players in January and I doubt they were willing to back him again. Plus I read an article on the Athletic website about this also. 

On the Heckingbottom appointment, Its a very strange one. I suspect he will be bringing through their young players from the academy whilst selling or release a few senior players in the coming months. 

This comment from Sheffield United CEO surprised me today. 

"   New Blades boss Paul Heckingbottom will not be judged on his results as Sheffield United manager, chief executive Stephen Bettis has said, "

Sheffield United: New boss Paul Heckingbottom won't be judged on results, chief executive reveals | The Star

How has it gone wrong financially? Teams go up and down, surely the money they made in the PL and from parachute money puts them in a better position than they were 2 years ago? I don't get how they are worse off than other teams in the league who never went up, they surely get good crowds too

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How has it gone wrong financially? Teams go up and down, surely the money they made in the PL and from parachute money puts them in a better position than they were 2 years ago? I don't get how they are worse off than other teams in the league who never went up, they surely get good crowds too

Well according to the Athletic article the finances aren't good as you think. 

3 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I think that the football authorities should be looking much more at agents and reducing their influence on the game.

It would be 11 years too late but yeah they definitely should be.

But then again the whole game probably needs complete overhaul. 

It seems Reading, like Rovers, were used as a way to make a lot of people rich with the best interests of the club no wherw near the top of the priory list.

The fans of course, as always are at the bottom of that list.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2021 at 18:10, JHRover said:

So the extent of Reading's punishment for exceeding permitted losses by almost £20 million is a 6 point deduction.

Better than nothing but not exactly a game changing sanction is it? With their squad they will likely have more than enough to survive and can go again with a clean slate. 

Not sure it is worth selling the training ground for or cutting costs back and risking Championship status over, or allowing all our best players to leave for nothing because we supposedly can't offer them better terms. Think I'd sooner ensure we had a good quality squad of contracted players and take the 6 points myself.

Understates it a bit...

They're essentially under a transfer embargo for two years and they only avoid that further 6 point deduction if they follow a business plan set out by the EFL, which limits them to a wage bill of £21m this year and £16m next year. That's a pretty hefty drop from a £38m wage bill in 2019-20. And that plans already includes having sold Olise for £8.4m this summer.

Reading may have avoided a relegation-guaranteeing points deduction, but this will do some pretty substantial medium-term damage. That wage bill pretty much guarantees they can't ensure a "ensure a good quality squad of contracted players". Swift, Yiadom, Cabral, and others all expected to leave on frees this summer.

(Note the above also already includes Reading having engaged in both stadium and training ground selling chicanery)

(btw, I obviously don't disagree about trying to get Rothwell, Nyambe, etc. tied down to new deals. The Armstrong and training ground sales should give us some decent headroom now. And for all our fucking up, we certainly aren't at Reading's level of financial bumfuckery in recent years. It's all endless speculation at this point so we'll see how that ends up...)

Edited by RoverCanada

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Sheff Utd appointing Heckingbottom is another weird decision which smacks of "I can't be bothered anymore" from their owner and should be looked into.

Its appears that Sheffield United hierarchy want to change their approach after an internal review into the club going forward. Look like they want to invest in youth and cut their spending massively after the spending massively over the last 4 years. Not really Heckingbottom is the right appointment but they seem to be backing him in terms of length of contract. He has already recalled 2 young players who was out on loan and will be available in January to play for hem 

after reading 2 articles in the Athletic, its appears that Jokanovic wasn't even on their original 5 man shortlist to replace Wilder. head coach of KV Oostende. Alexander Blessin, Lincoln City manager Michael Appleton and Paul Heckingbottom were 3 of their names on that shortlist. Jokanovic appointment there didn't suit their squad playing style or formation. So unless you were going to allow him time and back him with signings so he can play his favourite formation and style then why appoint him in the first place. The Sheffield united playing squad are used to playing 3-5-2 and Jokanovic's formation is 4-2-3-1 so straight anyway there is a problem. 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I just  found myself wanting PNE to get the winner!

Fulham a team and management of divers and constant bitching and Ref intimidation.

Really?!

They spawned a goal that was offside, had 2 hand balls, and a foul on a player.

Literally 4 offences. Unreal.

And Ched Evan's is a total bellend, but we knew that already. 

I wanted to see Mitrovic score a winner in the 94th min, and do a lap of Deepdale screaming in the home fans faces. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Really?!

They spawned a goal that was offside, had 2 hand balls, and a foul on a player.

Literally 4 offences. Unreal.

And Ched Evan's is a total bellend, but we knew that already. 

I wanted to see Mitrovic score a winner in the 94th min, and do a lap of Deepdale screaming in the home fans faces. 🤷‍♂️

Yes.

Payback for what should have been a red card against Fulham.

Bellend or not Evans is a handful for any defender.

(Edit: I cannot stand the fecking condescending use of 'really' when starting a conversation)

Edited by AllRoverAsia

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

(Edit: I cannot stand the fecking condescending use of 'really' when starting a conversation)

No problem, noted.

It was just an expression of surprise. 

But if u don't like it, I won't do it to you. 

• Like 1

The Top 7 all play each other on Saturday except ourselves at home to PNE. What an opportunity this is to put a bit of breathing space between ourselves and 7th.

Fulham v Bournemouth

Coventry v West Brom

QPR v Stoke

We could be 5 points clear of 7th with a win