BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 21/22

On 21/12/2021 at 10:46, Admiral Nelsen said:

Certainly getting there, although a bad January on and off the pitch could change expectations very quickly. 

We'd probably need somewhere between 70-75 points to be confident of securing a top 6 spot. Our 6 fixtures before the end of January are:

Hull (a)

Barnsley (h),

Hudds,

Cardiff (a), 

Middlesbrough (h)

Luton (a).

If we keep the squad together, and get something like 3 wins and a draw from those 6 games, then really average form until the end of the season should be enough for the top 6. 

A very winnable set of games. Personally 10 points is the bare minimum I'd expect from these given our current form and with most fit. Ideally think 12 would be my minimum - 3 wins, 3 draws. That said it's such a topsy turvy league and anyone can have a shocker of a blinder so maybe that's over optimistic from myself. But I think if we are going to go up I'd be aiming high in this run of games. 

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Nobbers Boxing Day game against Sheffield United called off due to positive Covid tests.

I expect there to be a lot more games off in the next couple of days.

Or the nobbers don't want to play Sheff United whilst they are on a good run.

34 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Nobbers Boxing Day game against Sheffield United called off due to positive Covid tests.

Means that after boxing day this season Championship clubs have played a total of 20 games less:

Barnsley 1
Cardiff 2
Coventry 2
Derby 1
Luton 1
Millwall 1
Peterborough 1
PNE 2
QPR 2
Reading 2
Sheff Utd 2
Stoke 2
Swansea 1

Edited by Cherry Blue

39 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Presumably whichever team is affected will lose their midweek game as well. Any team which gets cases in the next day or two runs a big risk of having their next three games postponed.

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

Presumably whichever team is affected will lose their midweek game as well. Any team which gets cases in the next day or two runs a big risk of having their next three games postponed.

It's Preston who have requested the game be called off. After this mornings round of testing it looks like there have been a significant number of positive results shown. Two PL games have also gone bringing the total number of games cancelled in the EFL and PL to 16.

47 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's Preston who have requested the game be called off. After this mornings round of testing it looks like there have been a significant number of positive results shown. Two PL games have also gone bringing the total number of games cancelled in the EFL and PL to 16.

Presumably PNE's game at West Brom next Thursday will be looking very doubtful then.

I can't help thinking that pretty soon this is really going to mess up the league. By 3rd January some teams will be 3/4 games behind others. It might be great for any teams that manage to get their games played particularly whilst they're in good form like us but it can't be good for the game as a whole.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Presumably PNE's game at West Brom next Thursday will be looking very doubtful then.

I can't help thinking that pretty soon this is really going to mess up the league. By 3rd January some teams will be 3/4 games behind others. It might be great for any teams that manage to get their games played particularly whilst they're in good form like us but it can't be good for the game as a whole.

And of course the season is due to finish earlier than normal because of next season's early start to accommodate the World next which gives the clubs falling behind an extra headache where to fit the games in. The integrity of each competition could be brought into question.

40 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Football should continue to be played and if games need to be cancel due too many Cases then fair enough. 

Given that clubs have 25 man squads then they should be able to cope with 3 games a week

44 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And of course the season is due to finish earlier than normal because of next season's early start to accommodate the World next which gives the clubs falling behind an extra headache where to fit the games in. The integrity of each competition could be brought into question.

In the season 1962-63 in the aftermath of the “ Big Freeze “ Rovers played on - March 23, 25, 29. April 2, 6, 12, 13, 15, 20, 23, 27. May 1, 4, 13, 20.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Football should continue to be played and if games need to be cancel due too many Cases then fair enough. 

Given that clubs have 25 man squads then they should be able to cope with 3 games a week

Would you be so determined to see games played if it was Rovers who were 2/3 games behind come Monday?

Clearly plenty of clubs can't cope at the moment with one a week. As arbitro says it won't be long before the integrity of the competition will suffer.

16 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Would you be so determined to see games played if it was Rovers who were 2/3 games behind come Monday?

Clearly plenty of clubs can't cope at the moment with one a week. As arbitro says it won't be long before the integrity of the competition will suffer.

Yes. 

Points in the bag for me. We should be desperate to play Boxing Day to keep the momentum going and to take on a very average Hull side without their manager.

At the start of the season I'd have taken 51 points and survival. We should be aiming now for 75 points and the play-offs as a minimum. 11 wins needed to get there asap. Don't care what the others do if we focus on ourselves and aiming for that points target.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Points in the bag for me. We should be desperate to play Boxing Day to keep the momentum going and to take on a very average Hull side without their manager.

At the start of the season I'd have taken 51 points and survival. We should be aiming now for 75 points and the play-offs as a minimum. 11 wins needed to get there asap. Don't care what the others do if we focus on ourselves and aiming for that points target.

Agree. Thought we'd be looking at the bottom half but now it's difficult not to dream. Remember saying as long as we survive this season but on current form promotion could happen. Also glad to hear FA cup 3rd & 4th rounds decided on the day. We don't want a fixture build up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and the game must continue to be play where must. 

Can we really keep stop the game everytime there is an outbreak?

Stopping the games means less chance of an uncontrollable outbreak at Rovers, so it's working in our favour at the moment.