BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) 14/8/21

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley looked absolutely terrified however, a level of technical competence is meaningless if there are regular games in which he is totally unable to make the game about his strengths, hence why he is going to struggle to establish himself as a regular Championship player

Just not true. Half the games requires Travis’ and Davenport’s and Johnson’s. The other half require Buckley’s and Rothwell’s. 

Buckley wasn’t anything like as bad as you and others have made out. I watched the full 90 and have watched the 1st half back in its entirety. He didn’t do so much wrong to be slammed as “awful”, “out of his depth” or “scared” as he has been on here. He certainly didn’t get chance to impose himself, but hardly a fair reflection being written about him on here.

God we treat our young players bafflingly.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Millwall presented a completely different challenge to Swansea but Mowbray opted for the same formation but a different tactic of no discernible press. I thought we were comfortable in the first half of a poor match will Millwall only threatening from set plays. Mowbray changed the system at half time to go to the back 3/5 which he seems determined to prove to somebody that it works. We offered no real threat to Millwall and some players again seemed confused by what Mowbray was asking of them. After Millwall scorer (when our three central defenders went awol) we had another change of system and personnel which produced our best spell of the match. Overall I thought our late endeavour deserved a point and Brereton once again looked a different player in the system we played later on as did Gallagher. I thought Carter looked a better left back than Pickering when he moved there as we looked far more solid defensively.

We had a horrible journey with cancelled, late and broken down trains and were given a plethora of feeble excuses.

Watched on tv so our views may differ but thought we were being dominated at THE end of the first-half but the change at half-time gave us control until we lost momentum when Lenihan gave them respite with the freekick/yellow. Think Millwall adjusted their formation slightly as they regained control until, as you rightly say, Rovers changed again after the goal against.

Thought Gallagher and Dolan did "ok" first half whilst Buckley and BB were missing but no question that SG and BB should have been up top from the start for this game. Rothwell benefitted from Carter coming on as he no longer had to cover the area between Pickering and Ayala so good changes during the game from TM and co.

BB does need to careful with the theatrics - easy to get a reputation as some of his "falls" were just too OTT

Good to know that the trains haven't improved in 30-odd years 🙈

28 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Just not true. Half the games requires Travis’ and Davenport’s and Johnson’s. The other half require Buckley’s and Rothwell’s. 

Buckley wasn’t anything like as bad as you and others have made out. I watched the full 90 and have watched the 1st half back in its entirety. He didn’t do so much wrong to be slammed as “awful”, “out of his depth” or “scared” as he has been on here. He certainly didn’t get chance to impose himself, but hardly a fair reflection being written about him on here.

He didn't do so much wrong??? What did he do right?? Nothing! He is a liability, didn't show for the ball, wasn't getting stuck in, created nothing. We had a throw in in the first half and he was closest to the taker, could see he didn't fancy it and waited others to show to take the ball from Nyambe. It's not good enough. He is playing midfield in the championship and you would forget he is on the pitch. I'm not treating him any way, I assess his performance and I find that baffling!

• Like 1

John Buckley didn’t have his best game but he didn’t do anything of note good or bad really. I’m almost certain by the end of the season as long as he’s keeps playing he will have established himself as a starter and proved his doubters wrong.  He needs time and patients and whilst I understand we are short of both he is worth persevering with 

• Like 2

Millwall presented a completely different challenge to Swansea but Mowbray opted for the same formation but a different tactic of no discernible press. I thought we were comfortable in the first half of a poor match will Millwall only threatening from set plays. Mowbray changed the system at half time to go to the back 3/5 which he seems determined to prove to somebody that it works. We offered no real threat to Millwall and some players again seemed confused by what Mowbray was asking of them. After Millwall scorer (when our three central defenders went awol) we had another change of system and personnel which produced our best spell of the match. Overall I thought our late endeavour deserved a point and Brereton once again looked a different player in the system we played later on as did Gallagher. I thought Carter looked a better left back than Pickering when he moved there as we looked far more solid defensively.

We had a horrible journey with cancelled, late and broken down trains and were given a plethora of feeble excuses.

Hope you are filling in your ‘Delay -Repay’ forms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

How did you watch the game back? I would like to do so!

• Like 1

Nice to be back in a stadium.

Some random notes:

- 1st half was some generally terrible football viewing all around. Millwall really do play some unattractive stuff. I'm pretty sure they don't have a single "artist" in the squad (Afobe seems to have really fallen off over the years) - that's not an outright "criticism" btw, as they have managed alright in the Championship at their wage level!

- Plenty already said, but clearly not a game for Dolan to be pressing upfront like Swansea. Maybe his worst performance as a Rover... Buckley anonymous, but not really 'bad'. Game bypassed the whole midfield 1st half - see Rothwell below too - only Trav seemed to thrive (and a welcome pain in the ass performance from him!). Not following the Pickering criticism, thought he was ok (but not 'good'), but maybe wasn't watching him closely enough. Gallagher couldn't get anything going offensively, but put in a hell of a shift in the air.

- The switch to the back 5 was merciful, and Carter impressed. Can see the logic in keeping him around if we use the back 5 plenty, plus as injury cover for Ayala, and then re-evaluate when Wharton is back. A player with Magloire's physical gifts may be worth waiting on, so another season loan for him and bringing in a short-term loan to wait on Wharton sounds sensible to me, but I wouldn't flinch if we sold him.

- Millwall goal came out of nowhere. Watching the replay now (was hard to see wth happened from the other end!), kind of a hard goal to get too mad at anyone about.

- Generally great stuff by Ayala and Lenihan, although the latter drove me nuts messing around with the ball a couple times in midfield. No need to pick up a senseless yellow doing that when he's going to pick up plenty...

- Let's hope Butterworth's back holds up as he could be something.

- Chapman's poor cameo highlights the need for a winger loan (although he rightly yelled at this teammates during that bizarre play where he was just standing with the ball out wide begging for support!). Given he's seemingly lost his quick feet, playing him centrally is probably the only way to salvage his career here (where he impressed at Shrews). Although Butterworth may have usurped him in the middle already, a la Dolan last year out wide...

- Typical Rothwell game in that he was anonymous for long periods, and then suddenly took over the game. Please get that contract worked out...

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Watched on tv so our views may differ but thought we were being dominated at THE end of the first-half but the change at half-time gave us control until we lost momentum when Lenihan gave them respite with the freekick/yellow. Think Millwall adjusted their formation slightly as they regained control until, as you rightly say, Rovers changed again after the goal against.

Thought Gallagher and Dolan did "ok" first half whilst Buckley and BB were missing but no question that SG and BB should have been up top from the start for this game. Rothwell benefitted from Carter coming on as he no longer had to cover the area between Pickering and Ayala so good changes during the game from TM and co.

BB does need to careful with the theatrics - easy to get a reputation as some of his "falls" were just too OTT

Good to know that the trains haven't improved in 30-odd years 🙈

Undoubtedly Millwall had a lot more of the ball towards the end of the half but I never felt uncomfortable with that. If we were going to make a change I thought Dolan was the right man to go off and for me if should have been Butterworth replacing him. Although small in stature I feel he is a lot stronger and can hold the ball better. Instead Mowbray went with a change of shape and some positional changes. He very rarely goes like for like when making changes. Going back to a less complicated system was the main factor in getting a point in my view.

I was happy with a point however but on another day, as we have witnessed many times before, Mowbrays tinkering could have cost us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You told us that Mols and Whiteman were twice as good as Buckley but that just doesn’t appear to be the case. I

Mols is without a club currently and never been on loan to league 1 or 2 club either. 

I've seen alot of Mols over the years and can't say he has ever been outstanding regular where has Travis, Buckley and JRC have been during my time of watching the under 18's and under 23's

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was pleasing to see David Raya amongst the Rovers fans yesterday although he tried to stay incognito with shades and a mask. I had a glance over when we scored and he was politely clapping. 

Once a Rover always a Rover 😆

Yes  he put the goal on Instagram. Definitely still feels an attachment to the club, good lad.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Only one man for me and he needs to bin Wycombe off....

for me only 3 or 4 options for me

Gareth Ainsworth, Callum Davidson, Chris Wilder and maybe Mark Hughes(but been out of the game for 2 years and 8 months now, so maybe he might not get back into the game now)

I think Ainsworth would only leave Wycombe for Blackburn Rovers. Loads of talk towards the end of last season and the early summer that he would move to Preston but never thought he would go there at all. 

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Ainsworth would only leave Wycombe for Blackburn Rovers. Loads of talk towards the end of last season and the early summer that he would move to Preston but never thought he would go there at all. 

Oh my god, he never even played for us, but had 3 stints at the nobbers.  You think he wouldn't mange them? 🤷‍♂️  more uninformed content.

Would like him here but our owners are like you, they love Mogadon 

Edited by Sparks Rover

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

I also watched the full game and he was essentially invisible, he won one free kick with a nice run but otherwise, totally anonymous, something which is far from a first. I am not comfortable with the idea of regularly changing things because individuals cannot play their game against numerous opponents, it is not conducive to consistency to keep having to take him back out anytime we come up against a more pragmatic opponent. Savile, Keiftenfeld and Evans are all experienced Championship midfielders but all are fairly limited, there is no reason why Buckley should be anonymous against such players. Until he can regularly impact games then he cannot become a player that we can trust to be relied upon with regularity.

I take issue to that last sentence though. I have never given Buckley anything other than full support on a match day, but when he performs poorly, I state my opinion as such on an internet messageboard thread discussing the game in question. Can you please explain how that is treating our young players bafflingly? Carter is a player who I praised for his performance after coming on, so it is not some sort of scourge on young players.

• Like 1

It was pleasing to see David Raya amongst the Rovers fans yesterday although he tried to stay incognito with shades and a mask. I had a glance over when we scored and he was politely clapping. 

Once a Rover always a Rover 😆

That's class. Love stuff like that. Good on him!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also watched the full game and he was essentially invisible, he won one free kick with a nice run but otherwise, totally anonymous, something which is far from a first. I am not comfortable with the idea of regularly changing things because individuals cannot play their game against numerous opponents, it is not conducive to consistency to keep having to take him back out anytime we come up against a more pragmatic opponent. Savile, Keiftenfeld and Evans are all experienced Championship midfielders but all are fairly limited, there is no reason why Buckley should be anonymous against such players. Until he can regularly impact games then he cannot become a player that we can trust to be relied upon with regularity.

I take issue to that last sentence though. I have never given Buckley anything other than full support on a match day, but when he performs poorly, I state my opinion as such on an internet messageboard thread discussing the game in question. Can you please explain how that is treating our young players bafflingly? Carter is a player who I praised for his performance after coming on, so it is not some sort of scourge on young players.

Spot on and very fair 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Oh my god, he never even played for us, but had 3 stints at the nobbers.  You think he wouldn't mange them? 🤷‍♂️  more uninformed content.

Would like him here but our owners are like you, they love Mogadon 

Why do I keep reading about Preston? Talk about lowering the bar, they’ve done nothing since 1950’s.

As for Ainsworth, I can think of many managers in the lower leagues with better records, forget the Blackburn link.

Ainsworth would be a good shout if we had local owners, the fans could get behind that idea, but under Venkys he’d be eaten alive, no thanks. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ulrich said:

We've seen strikers as full backs and God knows what else over the last few years, so being honest I could believe TM would play that way.

If you’re an even older supporter, you’d have seen full backs as centre forward!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 92er said:

If you’re an even older supporter, you’d have seen full backs as centre forward!

I'm sure I remember Henry being moved up top, but prior to the walker era I'm not to sure as I would have been 8 years old or less.