BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) 14/8/21

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

I'm sure I remember Henry being moved up top, but prior to the walker era I'm not to sure as I would have been 8 years old or less.

Chris Sutton was the best example - played centre back for Norwich originally, then moved up front, the rest is history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

I'm sure I remember Henry being moved up top, but prior to the walker era I'm not to sure as I would have been 8 years old or less.

Strangely enough, the full back was called Pickering, made a great success of his new position, was sold to Everton and played for England.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I just happen to have a passing interest in lads I've coached...in fact, there are 5 in their squad this season.  Why wouldn't I be interested?

Don’t tell them your prediction for yesterday…..Lordy Lordy 😩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Chris Sutton was the best example - played centre back for Norwich originally, then moved up front, the rest is history.

Dion Dublin too. Samba played up front for us, as did Hendry (though Hendry actually started out his career as a striker). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Why do I keep reading about Preston? Talk about lowering the bar, they’ve done nothing since 1950’s.

As for Ainsworth, I can think of many managers in the lower leagues with better records, forget the Blackburn link.

Ainsworth would be a good shout if we had local owners, the fans could get behind that idea, but under Venkys he’d be eaten alive, no thanks. 

Many managers in the lower leagues who took a team from the bottom of League 2 to the Championship in a handful of years with one of the lowest budgets in the league each season?

Go ahead...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mustard said:

Many managers in the lower leagues who took a team from the bottom of League 2 to the Championship in a handful of years with one of the lowest budgets in the league each season?

Go ahead...

I said managers with better records.

Danny Cowley and Nigel Clough.

Edited by Gav

4 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Do you mean Hendry. He was bought as a forward if I remember right. But there is a good chance I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do you mean Hendry. He was bought as a forward if I remember right. But there is a good chance I am wrong.

Yes he was, came in at the same time as Chris Sulley.  Rifled the winner in the Full Members Cup Final 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

The most annoying part was I typed Hendry and the bloody phone changed it to Henry. I only noticed when I was quoted and went Doh. It even tries to change Doh to dog. OnePlus avoid at all costs haha. Colin as a CF? Really?

And apparently that's true, he was a forward before signing for Rovers. Well I never 👍

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I also watched the full game and he was essentially invisible, he won one free kick with a nice run but otherwise, totally anonymous, something which is far from a first. I am not comfortable with the idea of regularly changing things because individuals cannot play their game against numerous opponents, it is not conducive to consistency to keep having to take him back out anytime we come up against a more pragmatic opponent. Savile, Keiftenfeld and Evans are all experienced Championship midfielders but all are fairly limited, there is no reason why Buckley should be anonymous against such players. Until he can regularly impact games then he cannot become a player that we can trust to be relied upon with regularity.

And the previous game against Swansea Buckley stop Swansea's best player Grimes from being an influence on the game. One of the reasons we won that game 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mustard said:

So, two?

No, many more mustard…

But my point was we don’t want Ainsworth at the club whilst Venkys are running the show, he’ll not last 2 minutes in my opinion, no matter how good he is. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

And the previous game against Swansea Buckley stop Swansea's best player Grimes from being an influence on the game. One of the reasons we won that game 

My point was that fairly predictably, he was invisible against a more pragmatic midfield as he often is. Until he is capable of impacting games like on Saturday, instead of only being of any use some of the time, he cannot be relied upon and trusted as a regular.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, no matter where you played him he wouldn’t look out of place. Mike England was the same.

Combine Warhursts versatility, injury record and that was voted "best dressed" (for real) at the club and we may have witnessed the ultimate bromance between manager and player 😁

Oh yeah - Millwall (just to keep it on topic 🤔)

12 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Chris Sutton possibly the most versatile of them all. 

No mate, that must be Mike England. He started out at right back for the first team, played a few games at inside right, got established in the team as a left half, made the centre half position his own when Matt Woods called it a day and later on played successfully as a striker in a crisis.

The only positions he didn’t play were on the wing and in goal, if Mowbray had have been managing us then he probably would have got a run out on the wing with him being 6 ft 2 ins tall.