BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness on Rovers

28 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Rover6, he was a boyo wasn't he. He was big on getting young players into the team from the academy if I remember correctly.

To be fair to him, he was never afraid to voice an unpopular opinion and always put them across with good reasoning. He was a good poster - is he still on here under another 'name'?

I'm pretty sure he is, but I won't reveal who I think he now is...

I think a number of those from BRFCS from those days are here under different names. The Venkys takeover and few years after were traumatic. People argued and fretted and walked away.

After some time, many (albeit reluctantly) returned. Rovers is in the blood. But...by God, blood poisoning via chicken farmers stings, doesn't it!!!!

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Good post

The question always was, why didn't Williams sack Souness when it was clear by that stage he was a failing manager?

Williams gets lots of praise but that lack of action over Souness (and the Ince appointment) shows he didn't always get it right

Why does anyone linger over a once great relationship gone bad? Why do marriages turn stale? 

He'd sorted out the sinking ship, won promotion, played amazing football, brought in some of the greatest EVER Rovers players (Tugay, Friedel), won a cup (!!!), got us into the top ten, then the top six, dominated Celtic at their place, smashed Spurs at White Hart Lane. 

When it went bad...it went bad quickly. But you still hope the good times return.

They were all very human failings by Williams. The fans were torn just as he must have been. Including on BRFCS.

Newcastle coming calling was a godsend...

• Like 4

On 14/08/2021 at 21:50, TheRoversReturn said:

Which was better? That or the "2-0 in your Dingledome" earlier on that season when their fans were so enraged that smashed up their own town centre?!?!? Hahaha...great days!

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten how spicy that game was! 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Cole and Jansen were a terrific partnership. Once Yorke arrived he seemed to have a competition with Cole as to who was going to run the least.

Agreed. I remember a game at Ewood where somebody in the Riverside bellowed at the top of his voice "YORKIE, you're not on the beach now...MOVE!!". He definitely heard it as he looked sheepishly towards the floor.

Yorke had a few good games for us here and there in his first season. Villa away in the cup, Spurs away, but overall he was a disappointing buy and him being at the club didn't help Cole.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten how spicy that game was! 

I'd also forgotten how spiteful the site could be in those days. Its unimaginable now that a poster should be written off as a Dingle because he dared to call for the manager's sacking! LT stuff that.

(Just replied to my own post!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Love Souness what an impact he had here and is down in history as one of our best managers.

Ok it went sour at the end but he cleaned a mess up when he came in and we had a spectacular few years and he is a great example to ownership. Get the right man and back him and he will deliver, stop backing him and he won't, go for cheaper options and you'll go back to where you started.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Sometimes a manager and a club just click, and for a few years we were lucky to have that happen with Souey. Things went badly wrong at the end - I still occasionally have nightmares over witnessing Dominic Matteo as a left winger - but even then Newcastle gave us decent compo to take him off our hands and we moved forward with Hughes. 

• Like 4

Souness was very good manager and its sad how it ended here. 

I remember these days very well. We had an excellent side under him. Friedel, Berg, Short, Dunn, Duff, Flitcroft, Tugay, Jansen, Hignett and Cole

I always the Worthington cup final and winning promotion at Deepdale as 2 of my proudest moments being a Rovers along with winning the PL in 1994/95. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Those bastards in Pune can't take away our memories chaps, I still have to pinch myself at times to believe what we achieved as a town and a football club.

Phenomenal.  

They have nothing to do what went before so keep them in your heart, it is what has happened since that makes us all angry

• Like 4

I was there for the dinner and thought Souness was quite emotional in his speech and praise of his time here.

He also mentioned two of his greatest regrets in football were leaving Rovers when he did and his time at Liverpool as a manager. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

It did go a bit sour in the end but he walked away at least. And why would we bother reminiscing about that?

Won promotion, won the league cup and made us a force to be reckoned with once again.

We played some great football doing it as well but it was never going to last. He was too confrontational with players.

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

It did go a bit sour in the end but he walked away at least. And why would we bother reminiscing about that?

Won promotion, won the league cup and made us a force to be reckoned with once again.

Lets put it this way,his worst times in the Ewood hotset were better than anything we have witnessed these last tortuous twelve years.

Great Manager for Rovers.Promotion,Cardiff,Europe...the memories live long and strong.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 7