BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

12 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

It’s a premier league rule, you can name a maximum of 25 players who can make up your match day squad - I think you can have different players in  the cups.

Or they will be like a well oiled machine 😬

you can register as many players u21 as well as the 25

Despite being limited to the selected squad of 25 in-between transfer windows, clubs are able to include players outside the squad who are under the age of 21. This is designed to allow clubs to blood young players if they want cover for injuries or want to rotate the team.

It's almost a case of 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' to me. In all honesty it's become farcical that clubs can have games postponed whilst hiding behind illness and injuries. And the current Premier League management are totally to blame by allowing it in the first instance. The answer to the first request should have been a resounding no. I have little time for EUFA but at least they had the balls to kick Tottenham out of the Europa League (or whatever it was) when they said they couldn't field a team and didn't play. When Middlesbrough were denied a request to postpone a game against us in 1997 and didn't turn up they were docked three points. That should have been the ultimatum to these clubs.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Helps Watford too since they are to play Friday as well.  Get a break now.

Interesting ooint, if clubs cry off for covid then when the match is played only those that missed due to covid should be allowed to olay.  Any players already injured, or iff on African tournament should not be allowed in the make up game.

Agreed - but our game against Watford would be interesting as it should have been played before players went to Africa.

30 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Despite being limited to the selected squad of 25 in-between transfer windows, clubs are able to include players outside the squad who are under the age of 21. This is designed to allow clubs to blood young players if they want cover for injuries or want to rotate the team.

I didn't know that - I'm not sure how it has been factored into these rules of postponement.

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's almost a case of 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' to me. In all honesty it's become farcical that clubs can have games postponed whilst hiding behind illness and injuries. And the current Premier League management are totally to blame by allowing it in the first instance. The answer to the first request should have been a resounding no. I have little time for EUFA but at least they had the balls to kick Tottenham out of the Europa League (or whatever it was) when they said they couldn't field a team and didn't play. When Middlesbrough were denied a request to postpone a game against us in 1997 and didn't turn up they were docked three points. That should have been the ultimatum to these clubs.

As I understand it you can only request a postponement if some of the missing players are a result of COVID - so Leeds had to play with 9 injuries the other day (mind they won so probably are happy they did so).

It really should never have been allowed and once you opened the flood gates what came was inevitable - and arguably its only fair we (and others) use it. Watford and Everton avoided playing us at a time that would have really suited us due to their injuries etc - and before we lost our main striker in the transfer window and our best attacker to Africa. I guess last night we used those same rules to avoid the re match at a time that didn't suit us. Funnily enough we are getting more stick on talksport etc than Watford ever did for all the games they cancelled. Like pandoras box we can't get the lid back on now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Lee Dixon was co-commenting the City game on Saturday. He and Arlo White were discussing the Arsenal postponement. I missed a bit of it but Dixon was saying that Prem rules are such that you can't play the u-18's. I need to read some more on it but I think that each club has to name a Prem squad and there's a limited number in it. I also don't know how often it can be changed.

For a COVID postponement apparently, kids only count if they’ve already made an appearance i.e. you can’t give a debut to a kid to make up a “COVID” XI. This means that clubs like Leeds who routinely give debuts to youngsters have a bigger “COVID” squad to choose from & would find it harder to request a postponement.

In the current climate, this encourages clubs NOT to blood youngsters which is what many fans are saying they should be doing so they can fulfil fixtures. 

I also heard an interesting theory on The Football Ramble podcast which is that the PL don’t want matches televised without “star names” playing as it devalues their product.

4 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

For a COVID postponement apparently, kids only count if they’ve already made an appearance i.e. you can’t give a debut to a kid to make up a “COVID” XI. This means that clubs like Leeds who routinely give debuts to youngsters have a bigger “COVID” squad to choose from & would find it harder to request a postponement.

In the current climate, this encourages clubs NOT to blood youngsters which is what many fans are saying they should be doing so they can fulfil fixtures. 

I also heard an interesting theory on The Football Ramble podcast which is that the PL don’t want matches televised without “star names” playing as it devalues their product.

If both of the above are the rules then if a club registers a u21 player today, they won't be eligible to play until the next fulfilled fixture? Then after that they are golden?

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If both of the above are the rules then if a club registers a u21 player today, they won't be eligible to play until the next fulfilled fixture? Then after that they are golden?

The point being that if you are a club that wants to postpone, whilst this guidance is operational it’s a get out of jail card. 
“We have 25 fit players but 15 of them have never played for the first team…so we’re stuffed…” type thing. 

However, Leeds put a 15 y/o on their bench last Sunday. 

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

I wonder if these covid cases will miraculously go away once the wood money has been reinvested.

I’m sure you mean once they have isolated for the requisite period, just like every other club who postponed games, including Watford, Villa and Everton against us. Sauce for the goose and all that.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Burnley have been linked with Chris Basham aged 33 

I am very surprised they have not sign anyone yet. I starting to think they will sign no one this window

Arsenal at the weekend - which we’d lose 99 out of 100 anyway and no game until the 8th Feb so there is time. It isn’t easy finding the right players wiling to come at the best of times and especially when we are in such relegation danger.

Nothing in a week and I’ll start worrying.

• Backroom
On 18/01/2022 at 13:50, Herbie6590 said:

For a COVID postponement apparently, kids only count if they’ve already made an appearance i.e. you can’t give a debut to a kid to make up a “COVID” XI. This means that clubs like Leeds who routinely give debuts to youngsters have a bigger “COVID” squad to choose from & would find it harder to request...

Awesome. So a club regularly blooding youngsters and giving players a chance gets punished, and clowns like Chelsea hogging youth talent, never playing them, and abusing the loan system gets rewarded.

Sounds like another fair and common sense rule being implemented in the football world. 🙄

• Like 4

4 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Arsenal at the weekend - which we’d lose 99 out of 100 anyway and no game until the 8th Feb so there is time. It isn’t easy finding the right players wiling to come at the best of times and especially when we are in such relegation danger.

Nothing in a week and I’ll start worrying.

Surely Dyche had players he wanted before Wood left and I do wonder why you haven't sign one player yet. 

is the club ownership and how the deal is finance playing a major part in you unable to sign anyone yet? 

Also Dyche is second favourite to sack on the next manager to leave a PL club? starting to wonder if they have been a falling out behind the scenes there between Dyche and the ownership/board?

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely Dyche had players he wanted before Wood left and I do wonder why you haven't sign one player yet. 

is the club ownership and how the deal is finance playing a major part in you unable to sign anyone yet? 

Also Dyche is second favourite to sack on the next manager to leave a PL club? starting to wonder if they have been a falling out behind the scenes there between Dyche and the ownership/board?

The fact that they are bottom of the league, might have a bearing on the situation.

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

The fact that they are bottom of the league, might have a bearing on the situation.

Yes I know that But given they haven't made a signing in this window given they need signings to survive. I think they have been disagreement between Dyche and the board over funding or who to sign or the approach going forward. 

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I know that But given they haven't made a signing in this window given they need signings to survive. I think they have been disagreement between Dyche and the board over funding or who to sign or the approach going forward. 

The recent news reports would suggest they have nothing to spend.