BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think it might be a bit ambitious to get a fee for him - but I agree that we might as well keep him if someone won't take on his entire contract. Twenty games of Ayala next season might end up being valuable, even if we can't rely on him to stay fit. 

Sure i read somewhere there was a bit of interest in him that might involve a fee.

Although it wouldn't be much and he'd probably have to prove his fitness first but you never know with some of these cash rich obscure foreign clubs.  All it takes is a superagent on the job with the right contacts and away we go.

I've seen people say pay him off and just get rid but there isn't much sense in that unless they've got a good replacement on a free lined up.

These things are what you employ a DOF for though so we'll see.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think it might be a bit ambitious to get a fee for him - but I agree that we might as well keep him if someone won't take on his entire contract. Twenty games of Ayala next season might end up being valuable, even if we can't rely on him to stay fit. 

Respect the 20 game idea but in my opinion it's totally counter productive to rely on unreliable players. They can do a job in a fixture and are missing in the next, I find on the whole it disrupts a season. I'd rather have someone that can play every week even with less ability. Not only that he is eating up valuable wages that could be used to strengthen the squad. Get rid quickly I say if the opportunity to do so is there. He's been a terrible signing. It would be better if we didn't get ourselves in these situations in the first place by paying a transfer fee for fit defenders.

6 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Hate to say it but Burnley’s transfer business is look very impressive right now…

Not sure I'd go that far. They're losing players who have kept them in the PL for years and replacing them with promising players out of League One.

The more changes the better I say. My concern was them keeping Dyche and most of their squad together which was a recipe for success. A young manager, loss of experienced players and replacement with youngsters is the route to instability IMO

8 minutes ago, phili said:

It will be quite a significant departure from the past, 1 actually buying a defender, especially as your first signing and 2. Building from the back

Exactly.

Look at Wilder at Boro he's assessed them and first chance hes got hes gone and got two players who fit the way he plays. One on loan and one for no fee so it hasn't broken the bank.

We waited years for that kind of thing under Mowbray and it never happened in fact the opposite happened. He spent big money for us on two players to try and then shoehorn into his way.

I very much doubt Giles will be starting as a right winger next season either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly.

Look at Wilder at Boro he's assessed them and first chance hes got hes gone and got two players who fit the way he plays. One on loan and one for no fee so it hasn't broken the bank.

We waited years for that kind of thing under Mowbray and it never happened in fact the opposite happened. He spent big money for us on two players to try and then shoehorn into his way.

he has had to operate in the free market as they are likely to face an embargo due to FFP! Other clubs facing it are Bristol and Stoke

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly.

Giles I could never understand. The thing is while striving for a play off place,  it's never a good time to try and train a player to play in a new position. He really had no idea what he was doing or how to play.

That's what preseason is meant to be used for

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phili said:

Giles I could never understand. The thing is while striving for a play off place,  it's never a good time to try and train a player to play in a new position. He really had no idea what he was doing or how to play.

That's what preseason is meant to be used for

See i would have found it strange had Mowbray not tried to play him anywhere but where he's best, was just so used to it. A real oddball of a manager.

The opening day of next season with players playing where they are meant to is going to be a really strange event.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

he has had to operate in the free market as they are likely to face an embargo due to FFP! Other clubs facing it are Bristol and Stoke

"Likely to"

We've been hearing this for 6-7 years and it never happens.

I'll have a bet with you now that none of those clubs are placed under a transfer embargo and that Middlesbrough spend more than we do this summer.

Then we will get the "but they have bigger crowds and bring in more money" which of course is right, partly down to our ineptitude, but they also spend a lot more than we do too. A quick glance at likely wages tells us that.

I think Giles was another that we just took because he was available and cheap and looked good, without any real plan or role for him in the team.

We've done that sort of thing a few times towards the back end of transfer windows. I think Tom Trybull was another. We just collect these people who are available from their parent clubs on short term loans, heavily subsidised so that they don't cost much and we bring them in without any real plan for them.

• Like 5

From the Telegraph article today, I’m expecting us to be a lot less active in the transfer market than we’ve all hoped.

It looks like we are going to try and fast track academy players through to the first team quicker than we have. I’m pretty pleased with this, but we need to supplement this with a few experienced heads. Unfortunately I can see us trying to do it primarily with loans instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

From the Telegraph article today, I’m expecting us to be a lot less active in the transfer market than we’ve all hoped.

It looks like we are going to try and fast track academy players through to the first team quicker than we have. I’m pretty pleased with this, but we need to supplement this with a few experienced heads. Unfortunately I can see us trying to do it primarily with loans instead.

Not the news I was looking forward to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoconutGrove said:

Personally, this transfer window is an interesting one. It’s not often a club goes 5 years between managers so we are going into a bit of an unknown period.

Hopefully, the appointments of JDT and Broughton will prove to be as good in reality as they do on paper. 

I’m not concerned about the lack of names spouted about in the media, I’d argue there success rate is less than 10% and our deals tend to get done behind the scenes.

Looking at our squad, there’s quite a few replacements we need. For me, the CB and CM positions are the ones we are lacking in.

JDT has done the right thing with taking the youngsters away with the first team. I hope Phillips gets a few minutes this season but he’d need an experienced head next to him. Ayala is the only one at the club who is that experienced but unfortunately, he’s injured too often so his wage is hard to justify.

One of my closest friends is aligned to a football agency and he has said we are in for an experienced CB (CL, international, PL) who is currently in a contract with a “big” club but is deemed as surplus to requirements.

Now I don’t want to share the names in case it comes back on him but I’d imagine if we get this player, it would suggest Ayala is off.

Every now and then (I’d say 1 in 10) he gets wrong but he’s been right about Nyambe not renewing, Dack getting a new deal as well as other things like Ajayi picking WBA over us. The main one he was wrong about was Wil Trapp coming over but apparently that was very close to being done.

So understandable if you take this with a pinch of salt (as I do with internet/social media rumours) but just thought I’d sprinkle something I’ve heard into this chat.

Appreciate the info 👍

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Our DOF has already spoken about using loan players as a stop gap until academy players are ready - which I think is the right approach (depending on quality and cost of loans).

Also - sending out this message about fast track will hopefully persuade some of our more sought after youngsters to stay longer - as well as helping to sell the academy to other youngsters.

24 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If this is the case then I’m gutted, I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from JDT so far and it would be nice for him to have the best possible chance to succeed here, not backing him at all in the transfer market would be a terrible start. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Respect the 20 game idea but in my opinion it's totally counter productive to rely on unreliable players. They can do a job in a fixture and are missing in the next, I find on the whole it disrupts a season. I'd rather have someone that can play every week even with less ability. Not only that he is eating up valuable wages that could be used to strengthen the squad. Get rid quickly I say if the opportunity to do so is there. He's been a terrible signing. It would be better if we didn't get ourselves in these situations in the first place by paying a transfer fee for fit defenders.

I'm sympathetic to a lot of that, if we could go back two years and make the same call again I don't think any of us would want to sign him. The fact that he's a centre-back too makes his lack of reliability all the more damaging.

We are where we are, though. If someone takes us off our hands and we can give the £15k a week (or maybe more) on a more reliable player then great. But if we get into the realms of still paying a chunk of his wages just to move him on, then I think we have to be pragmatic enough to recognise that the most value we can get for our outlay is to have a good player for about half a season and make a better decision next summer. 

I wonder if some of the shocking recruitment we made in the Kean years has desensitised us slightly to paying off players. For clubs like ours, I think they should be real worst case scenarios for the Murphys, Orrs or Etuhus who need binning off for the good of the club. Ayala's been a frustrating signing to say the least, but he's not in that bracket. 

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

If this is the case then I’m gutted, I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from JDT so far and it would be nice for him to have the best possible chance to succeed here, not backing him at all in the transfer market would be a terrible start. 

Agreed. It’s got to be a sensible mix of bringing players in who can hit the ground running, and blooding academy players who are good enough.

An over reliance on the academy will inevitably lead to a struggle, especially when there are currently so many gaps to plug.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Our DOF has already spoken about using loan players as a stop gap until academy players are ready - which I think is the right approach (depending on quality and cost of loans).

Also - sending out this message about fast track will hopefully persuade some of our more sought after youngsters to stay longer - as well as helping to sell the academy to other youngsters.

Our DOF also said we have a healthy budget. If that does not come to fruition it doesn’t reflect very well on someone who’s been in the role a month.

The Championship is a cut throat league and teams can easily go from promotion contenders to relegation candidates with poor recruitment.

It is essential we replace Lenihan, nyambe and Rothwell with equal quality.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

depends on the undisclosed objective set, whats happened so far isnt yet screaming promotion vibes, im getting more a season of transition with a promotion push the next season, and JDT has 3 years to get us there or thereabouts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Our DOF also said we have a healthy budget. If that does not come to fruition it doesn’t reflect very well on someone who’s been in the role a month.

The Championship is a cut throat league and teams can easily go from promotion contenders to relegation candidates with poor recruitment.

I would say, as we finished eighth with those three players, we should be looking to replace them with better quality. A center-half who doesn't get dragged out of position, a full-back that can get the ball into the danger area, a central-midfielder who is consistent.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

And Van Hecke, Khadra, and a striker.

Edit: if we're doing wishlists, get someone to replace Pickering too.

Edited by booth

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I prefer Director of Football/head coach structure and pleased we gone that way finally. 

I haven't comment on his performances like you did with Vale spell at Halifax. That's the key difference here. 

I know you do, you have said. But my point is that the OWNERS should never be interfering with transfer decisions.

You recommended a signing who seemingly you have never seen play, its the same situation.

5 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

he could do it 41 times and the end result was a mere 3 goals - inconsistent despite his pace

I agree that he is inconsistent but you can't judge a player who played as a central midfielder by his goal tally.

I can't see us replacing with equal quality on a very small budget.

28 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Absolutely agree. It’s going to be a massive ask to replace those three with better, especially on permanent deals.