BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Brilliant. Here’s what happens next, alongside some story telling…

He signs a new 4-year contract on 40K a week with a 17M release fee. His contract is now worth £8,320,00. 

He scores 10 goals by 20th Jan. Leeds are in the bottom three, 5 points from safety and Bamford gets injured. They immediately offer us the 17M and Ben goes. 

We pay off his contract that we owe him and are left with 7.5M, of which Forest take their 10%. We now have 6.75M and Ben stands us at a loss in FFP, so we can’t sign a replacement. 

Rovers pick up 4 points from 27 relying on Markanday to replace Ben. Furious, JDT walks. We hire Mowbray to steady the ship. 

I’ve quoted your post above. If he wanted to move there no way we’re paying him £8million or whatever.

If he didn’t want to move to Leeds we would just keep him. 

Edited by Hasta

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's exactly what I'm saying! Your post came over as if you requested a move and it fell through you wouldn't be entitled to any further wages.

Oh sorry maybe I misunderstood your post as well. 

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I’ve quoted your post above. If he wanted to move there no way we’re paying him £8million or whatever. If he didn’t we would just keep him. 

I thought it was clear with the first sentence “story telling” and the ridiculousness of the ending with us selling a player for a loss and Mowbray being reinstated as the manager that it was intended to be a light hearted over dramatisation. 

That doesn’t however change that fact that when clubs sell/give away players they often (not always) have to pay them a % of their wages (see: ‘leaving fee’, ‘loyalty bonus’, or ‘some of the transfer fee’), which are all the same thing, to agree to the deal. Unless the player submits a transfer request.

When selling players we typically to pay this as the club are benefiting from a transfer fee for the player. 

When giving away players we typically pay this as it works out cheaper than letting them stay. 

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not today we don’t as it’s a Sunday but tomorrow I’d like to be hearing we’re looking at centre halves.

Well, 2 wins out of 2 without really adding much to the squad gives me plenty of hope. If we can bring in a few more quality players, before the window shuts, then we will be in a good position. 

I hope 🤣

• Like 1

Football transfers can be very complicated and are obviously legalised business transactions.  I have had some limited experience of this area in the past having helped and advised a solicitor friend who represented a handful of footballers. 

I read with interest some of the earlier posts and there aren't even mentions of some other aspects of transfer transactions.  For example, there is VAT on transfer fees and there is a 5% levy as governed by FIFA rules which goes to the specific league.  The strength of the selling club's position will be largely dictated by the quality of the player's signed contract - if club's pay peanuts for legal advice and drafting of contracts then they will get monkeys and issues and problems!  A 'strong' contract will negate many of the issues some posters have referred to and it facilitates a far simpler and cut and dried business transaction mitigating the player and his agent's often unreasonable demands.  Also, sell on clauses can relate to the transfer fee as a whole, the transfer fee over original purchase fee or even a combination of the two - again, much depends on how savvy the selling club is and perhaps how naive the buying club is.  

Edited by Mercer

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Football transfers can be very complicated and are obviously legalised business transactions.  I have had some limited experience of this area in the past having helped and advised a solicitor friend who represented a handful of footballers. 

I read with interest some of the earlier posts and there aren't even mentions of some other aspects of transfer transactions.  For example, there is VAT on transfer fees and there is a 5% levy as governed by FIFA rules which goes to the specific league.  The strength of the selling club's position will be largely dictated by the quality of the player's signed contract - if club's pay peanuts for legal advice and drafting of contracts then they will get monkeys and issues and problems!  A 'strong' contract will negate many of the issues some posters have referred to and it facilitates a far simpler and cut and dried business transaction mitigating the player and his agent's often unreasonable demands.  Also, sell on clauses can relate to the transfer fee as a whole, the transfer fee over original purchase fee or even a combination of the two - again, much depends on how savvy the selling club is and perhaps how naive the buying club is.  

VAT although chargeable on top is surely re claimable so can't see that being much of a factor although obviously distorts the figures a bit.

I wonder how Rovers managed to get their pants pulled down on the Poveda loan deal ?   Hopefully the same person hasn't been doing the recent incomings.

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Everton lost two CBs to injury yesterday - they've just gone out today and loaned in (with an option to buy) Connor Coady.

The PL really is a completely different beast.

good signing that for Everton and will suit the back 3 they play there. 

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

he`s past his best,hence wolves have let him go to a rival,everton really are a basket case imo

Very strange recruitment, they have gone for quite a lot of well known and British players, Tarkowski is a really good signing, not sure on Coady, McNeil was horrendous at Prem level last season and (obviously not British) but Gana Gueye was brilliant there first time but it was a long time ago.

Amidst all that, they are close to signing Onana who is apparently a really good, young midfielder for big money.

They still are horribly short in attack and the signing of Dele Alli is up there with the strangest you could find, no doubt a big earner, a player who could incur many more costs if he plays more games and just in general an unnecessary sideshow.

5 hours ago, J*B said:

Brilliant. Here’s what happens next, alongside some story telling…

He signs a new 4-year contract on 40K a week with a 17M release fee. His contract is now worth £8,320,00. 

He scores 10 goals by 20th Jan. Leeds are in the bottom three, 5 points from safety and Bamford gets injured. They immediately offer us the 17M and Ben goes. 

We pay off his contract that we owe him and are left with 7.5M, of which Forest take their 10%. We now have 6.75M and Ben stands us at a loss in FFP, so we can’t sign a replacement. 

Rovers pick up 4 points from 27 relying on Markanday to replace Ben. Furious, JDT walks. We hire Mowbray to steady the ship. 

Thats really not how it works. The length of contract is why fees go up. We do not have to pay the remainder of his contract if we are selling ihm. 

• Like 1