BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

To be honest the issues with the squad have been years in the making right back to our second full season in the Championship. 

We let a stunningly promising (now Premiership) keeper leave to replace him with a very limited forward, which given the forward line has sod all investment since then and we have a promote from within policy over the last 3 years, makes it an even bigger clanger. Factor in the defenders are coming only came in on loan and we were shoving as many problems as we could down the line. 

The end of the last but one season we had a mass clear out of an admittedly bloated squad albeit the numbers out compared with in made us worryingly vulnerable to issues and light on numbers. Factor in Elliott wasn't replaced, nor our 20+ goal striker Armstrong, and you could see the problems rapidly adding up. 

At the end of last season letting 3 first teamers leave for nothing, does nothing to help our cause either in terms of numbers or funding replacements. In fact that was a master stroke to decimate an already depleted squad, and with Bereton seemingly not signing a new contract or going either, it seems the depletion without investment will continue.

The reliance and loss of strong loans continued to haunt us as well as last seasons player of the year also bogged off leaving even bigger holes in the defence. If just finding the loan gems was the majority of the summer tasks that wouldn't be too bad but instead it's yet another crucial piece of the jigsaw on top of so many others. 

Of course there have been a few additions albeit an injury prone old centre back was never going to help the cause, and whilst there may be potential in the lad from Spurs, we cannot afford another 3 year slow burner/late developer like Bereton as gaps appear far, far more quickly. (Debatable if we could have afforded that then but now is a certainty not to.) 

Add all of this up and my word, we are struggling. We've half a squad to still fill. It's been a problem years in the making, and leaves a huge amount of work for a competent ownership to do, much less our lot.  

Pretty good summary. I wonder, given the trouble we've had getting players in, that if we could go back we'd be a bit more flexible in what we were offering the three who left to get them to stay?

It seems fairly obvious to me that in pure economic terms it was always going to be a lot more expensive to pay a transfer fee, agent's fees and then similar wages to a new player.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers have dropped their interest in both Van Den Berg and Van Hecke I'm hearing and have switched their sights to Van Halen who could rock up as early as tomorrow. Have I told you lately that Van Morrison is available too? 

You'd really get a  kick out of it if we signed Van Damme 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Pretty good summary. I wonder, given the trouble we've had getting players in, that if we could go back we'd be a bit more flexible in what we were offering the three who left to get them to stay?

It seems fairly obvious to me that in pure economic terms it was always going to be a lot more expensive to pay a transfer fee, agent's fees and then similar wages to a new player.

Agreed, yet there were people saying we could easily replace them with better. Not looking like it.

• Like 4

The Giakoumakis story is a non event really, just a reporter saying the player has been ‘scouted’ by Premier League and Championship clubs since the turn of the year. No links and nothing concrete. He was signed from the Dutch league in September last, for £2.1m, rising to £2.5m based upon appearances.

They are chatting about Giakoumakis on one of the Celtic forums, nothing relating to the above story, just speculating about the possibility of him becoming cheesed off if he continues to be used sparingly.

As I mentioned earlier, he’ll get more game time shortly when the Champions League and domestic cup games start coming thick and fast. He seems happy at Celtic and has a good relationship with the manager there. I don’t think Rovers would be able to better his wages and wouldn’t be able to bid anywhere near what Celtic may see as tempting to let him go.

Non starter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Watching newcastle tonight, surely there is a few of them very far away from the first team that we should be looking at.

wood

dummet for lb 

ritchie

murphy

longstaff 

Aye, but that lot of champagne charlies will have got used to blood money wages, and wouldn't want chicken nuggets from Bastwell instead.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers have dropped their interest in both Van Den Berg and Van Hecke I'm hearing and have switched their sights to Van Halen who could rock up as early as tomorrow. Have I told you lately that Van Morrison is available too? 

At last a CB that can Jump

• Like 4

i have heard it could be Dick Van Dyke he has played sweeper before

• Like 9

On Days Like This I’d take anyone. But he’s not vaccinated 

If ever there was an opportunity to persuade BBD to sign up to new terms or hang around for the season our winning start was just that - momentum, positivity, new manager. Sadly the failure of the Club to back up the momentum and positivity with strengthening the squad in any way shape or form and allowing the situation to drift without even managing to add a single player to the ranks shows just what the intentions really are - the PL is not the ambition - if we had 'gone for it' over the last few weeks with 3-4 decent signings then that might have suggested we were serious about trying to maintain our form. What we have done shows we are not.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If ever there was an opportunity to persuade BBD to sign up to new terms or hang around for the season our winning start was just that - momentum, positivity, new manager. Sadly the failure of the Club to back up the momentum and positivity with strengthening the squad in any way shape or form and allowing the situation to drift without even managing to add a single player to the ranks shows just what the intentions really are - the PL is not the ambition - if we had 'gone for it' over the last few weeks with 3-4 decent signings then that might have suggested we were serious about trying to maintain our form. What we have done shows we are not.

Spot on and no amount of utterances referring to "healthy budgets" and a "sustainable Premier League club" will convince me otherwise.

New employees have come in, a fancy sounding new structure looks to be in place, but ultimately, nothing has changed. No ambition, no urgency, let's make do with what we have.

"For Blackburn Rovers to be back in the Premier League we have to overachieve".

He's the perfect Venky appointment, is Broughton.

• Like 1