BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't this obsession some people have compare this season to last season. Makes zero sense to me. 

He has been offered a new contract which he rejected but has kept performing for the club. 

Also would you accept Fulham 6 mil up front with 4 mil in add ons then? Or Nice 8.4 million pounds bid? Surely he is worth much more given he has just scored 20 goals and is Chilean international player and scoring goals at that level. If you accept that low offer than you are massively undervalued the player. 

3 loans isn't lots of reliance for me given we got option on 2 of them. Its down to the players perform here  

I think we could have got more than that had we offered him out, as much of a loss as he would be. Out of interest, say he wasnt currently with us, would you consider a loan deal with a loan fee of £10m for Brereton to be good business?

Is there any area of the window that you are unhappy with? Any signings that you are not overly fond of? Do you still wish Brown had been kept? Any areas you think we are lacking in? 

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lot of random thoughts about this particular window. I'll put them down in no particular order:

I'd say it was a decent window rather than a sensational one. Think we missed out on most of our original targets, obviously started off after the CH who went to Sheff Utd then at one stage I believe we were after the 2 Van's, Styles and a lad from South America and ended up with completely different personnel instead, but we may not be too much the worse for that.

The main plus from this window for me by a country mile was keeping hold of BBD so well done to the owners on that. It may be a bit juvenile but I absolutely love it when PL Clubs and those from abroad come in thinking they can push us about and make derisory offers and end up getting the old two fingered salute.

As a few of us said right from the start of the window (and got derided for it) there was always a decent budget available for transfers irrespective of any BBD sale. I don't think anyone can complain at £6.5 m spent on fees, 3 loans and BBD still here. (Although I'm sure Gav and roversfan 99 will!) In my opinion that was some of the money spent that was made available to Mowbray in January had he choose to utilise it.

Individually, we've hopefully made a couple of solid signings in Hyam and Brittain.

Morton looks decent enough and the lad from Chelsea is intriguing, hopefully he can do a job at LB.

Very much doubt Hirst will do enough to make it worth our while signing him but as certain people might have mentioned once or twice we won't be stuck with him if it doesn't come off.

Think we've had our pants pulled down on Szmodics but hopefully Dack is returning to form.

So overall, more good than bad, not perfect but Rome wasn't built in a day and Mowbray and Waggott left us far too much to rectify in one window.

Onwards and upwards.

Needless dig but I am pleasantly surprised at the net spend, but I have never called for a constant positive net spend. I have regularly suggested that we should sell assets and reinvest a large percentage and thats how you grow. In the last 12 months we have sold one of our 2 main assets and reinvested none of that, then the owners blocked a potential 4m sale, and now our remaining main asset is being allowed to run his deal down. It is this inconsistently that infuriates me. Last summer, why not sign a 3-5m striker? Then do likewise with a player upon selling Brereton, and continue the process. Add a player or two with the Rothwell proceeds and a well run club now has 3 or 4 assets on longer deals rather than 1 running it down, as much as I will enjoy watching him for another season.

3 loans and our main asset running his contract down does not suggest a huge change in long term thinking but the limitations come from the top rather than being blamed on any individual.

I have many similar views to you and have shared them on the individuals signed. Certainly not a disastrous window, high comparative net spend and some potentially clever additions. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see Buckley's reaction going forward now. Gone from a shoo in for selection to down the pecking order and no longer the home grown hope due to the emergence of Wharton.

I personally don't think he has the stomach for the fight but we'll soon see. He either puts up in the next few months or he could well be shipped out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

3 loans and our main asset running his contract down does not suggest a huge change in long term thinking but the limitations come from the top rather than being blamed on any individual.

I think it's only fair in this context to mention that 2 of the loans are with an option to buy. That is a change in thinking. A try-before-you-buy approach isn't a bad idea for a club like ours. Hopefully the option prices aren't too high and there is something left in the kitty for them if we decide to make them permanent, but I suspect the options are there partly with a potential Brereton sale in mind (Hirst's, anyway, I bet Mola is a lot cheaper).

• Like 1

Here's my end of year assessment now its all over, based on what I've seen so far and their current reputation within the game:

Successful recruitment

Lenihan replaced with Hyam

Nyambe replaced with Brittain

Unsuccessful recruitment

Rothwell replaced with Szmodics

Van Hecke replaced with Mola

Additional option based on last season, improvement to squad

George Hirst

Tyler Morton

Hayden Carter (loaned out last season, doesn't count as recruitment)

Dilian Markanday (injured last season, doesn't count as recruitment)

Adam Wharton (promoted, doesn't count as recruitment)

Ashley Phillips (promoted, doesn't count as recruitment)

Used last season, not replaced

Johnson used, not replaced

Zeefuik used, not replaced

Davenport unused, but an option, not replaced

Unused last season, didn't need to be replaced

Chapman unused, not replaced

Stergiakis unused, not replaced

Magloire unused, not replaced

Butterworth unused, loaned out

Brown unused, not replaced

What do I take from this? Well...

1) GB & JDT felt that we didn't need a replacement for Zeefuik and that Brown wasn't up to the standard. Brittain is clearly first choice, I would assume Carter is second and then we plan to use Buckley/Travis as cover if needed.

2) GB & JDT felt that despite Markanday coming back from injury, we needed another striker. A lot of pressure is on Hirst to deliver in that role, he's never played in this league. 

3) GB & JDT don't want two 'bruisers' in central midfielder. Travis fills this role and as captain will start every game. If he's injured I wonder what the plan would be. 

4) We have a lot of central defensive options - Ayala, Wharton, Hyam, Carter, Phillips, Mola - perhaps a signal of 3 at the back? 

5) GB & JDT thought the squad was slightly too big last season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LDRover said:

It'll be interesting to see Buckley's reaction going forward now. Gone from a shoo in for selection to down the pecking order and no longer the home grown hope due to the emergence of Wharton.

I personally don't think he has the stomach for the fight but we'll soon see. He either puts up in the next few months or he could well be shipped out.

I think we cash in Jan, JDT could use that 10m

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, J*B said:

Here's my end of year assessment now its all over, based on what I've seen so far and their current reputation within the game:

Successful recruitment

Unsuccessful recruitment

George Hirst

Tyler Morton

1) GB & JDT felt that we didn't need a replacement for Zeefuik and that Brown wasn't up to the standard. Brittain is clearly first choice, I would assume Carter is second and then we plan to use Buckley/Travis as cover if needed.

2) GB & JDT felt that despite Markanday coming back from injury, we needed another striker. A lot of pressure is on Hirst to deliver in that role, he's never played in this league. 

3) GB & JDT don't want two 'bruisers' in central midfielder. Travis fills this role and as captain will start every game. If he's injured I wonder what the plan would be. 

4) We have a lot of central defensive options - Ayala, Wharton, Hyam, Carter, Phillips, Mola - perhaps a signal of 3 at the back? 

Good little summary. I'd say Dack is now an option we didn't really have last year. 

On point 5 - I'd say that's a fair assessment given you've got 6 outgoing players listed as "unused". It feels a slightly smaller squad but they'll all get used. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, J*B said:

Successful recruitment

Unsuccessful recruitment

George Hirst

Tyler Morton

I'd argue that Szmodics is as yet 'undecided' rather than an unsuccessful replacement for Rothwell. Plus we have the benefit of Hedges and Dack to mitigate. 

• Like 2

I think what the last few days have shown is that the idea that we should wait for quality players, and that such players will become available closer to the deadline is a bit of a myth.

Imagine if three weeks back, when posters were quick to tell a few of us to "wait and see" and "quality is coming, be patient", we were told that our final two signings closer to the deadline would be:

Hirst - loan

Mola - loan

Not many would have been enthused by that at the time, I suspect. It's an underwhelming finish to a window, which sounded quite promising at first. That's not to say the two above aren't any good, I hope they do well, obviously.

It's just when you go into deadline day hoping for two or three, even JDT thought there might be a couple coming in, and you come out with just Mola on loan, it's disappointing.

For what it's worth, I rate Brittain and Hyam. Not sold on the rest so far, but will get behind them and hope they can pleasantly surprise us.

Successful window, rovers fans need to stop assuming the worst and be patient, anoint if times I’ve seen comments like gregg is doing fuck all just cause we haven’t heard anything when it’s obvious our business is done behind the scenes is boring and tiresome. 

gregg and the team came late and have conducted good business, can’t have expected better, rather than stockpile like what a lot of fans wanted to do for the sake of looking good on paper we recruited smartly aswell as giving youngsters a chance to shin aka Adam Wharton which has turned out to be like new signings itself, if Mowbray was still here we would have stockpiled loans from premiership academies and I guarantee our start to the season would have been awful, jdt has brought a fantastic mentality of your good enough your old enough trusting in two teenagers ( one from the academy) to hold midfield against big physical players and a lad who was school age just a couple months ago or so in the heart of defence. 

from now until Jan we can monitoring the squad and figure out what’s needed in jan, I would monitor Pickering and if there is no improvement to his performances then lb should be a priority, a back up reliable rb is needed too, if the young midfielders Wharton, garret continue to perform well then central mid dosent need much attention minus cover which tbf we could do with an experienced hitter to backup /compete, as we all know Travis is a walking breathing card he’s gonna pick up suspensions that leaves us with only one experienced midfielder, 2 if you count Edun being able to cover so we could do with another travis like player to right it up and get a foot in, I’ve seen someone post before even though he’s a bit of a dick when your against him but Ben Pearson would be ideal to look into especially if we are trying to keep a lead under pressure late on and he can be partnered with trav to frustrate and get in the oppositions faces, don’t think he would cost much either if not a loan and would certainly ruffle the knobbers feathers. 

all in all I’m happy with business we are covered for every position (technically) bar right back  and a central midfielder wouldn’t go a miss in jan 

• Like 1

All things considered and with the logistical challenges, a decent enough window. As JDT said - ‘above average’.

Can get on board with most of the business except Szmodics. On current evidence seems incredibly limited and not sure he’s any better than anything we’ve got. In fact probably worse. Hope to be proved wrong.

Credit where it’s due also to the owners. Sensibly or not they’ve turned down decent cash for Brereton and ultimately said ‘meh’ to another loss next summer. Must be nice when money doesn’t matter….

Will be an exciting season, looking forward to it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

All things considered and with the logistical challenges, a decent enough window. As JDT said - ‘above average’.

Can get on board with most of the business except Szmodics. On current evidence seems incredibly limited and not sure he’s any better than anything we’ve got. In fact probably worse. Hope to be proved wrong.

Credit where it’s due also to the owners. Sensibly or not they’ve turned down decent cash for Brereton and ultimately said ‘meh’ to another loss next summer. Must be nice when money doesn’t matter….

Will be an exciting season, looking forward to it

Yeah, Szmodics a total mystery to me. Seems absolutely no better than the likes of Dolan or Vale? And seems to be blocking the ability of Markanday to get into the matchday squad. 

Feels like we could have spent that money a lot better. 

As always looking forward to being proven wrong.

24 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'd argue that Szmodics is as yet 'undecided' rather than an unsuccessful replacement for Rothwell. Plus we have the benefit of Hedges and Dack to mitigate. 

You can't judge anyone right now, they need time to settle and establish themselves. We are also struggling with injuries, I'm not sure Tomasson has had the luxury in recent weeks to play his first 11 or preferred formation/style, but we've seen glimpses. 

Josh also missed off Khadra who we haven't replaced at all. 

Time will tell if it was a good window or bad.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gav said:

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised we paid one or two transfer fees this time around, although if you do the sums it only amount to Lenihans apparent 4yrs contract offer over 4yrs, buts lets hope the outlay bears fruit and at least JDT has been backed with a few quid.

It's very likely the players who came in for fees have a total wage bill and sign on fees higher than Lenihan's contract. So I don't think that's a fair way to look at it.

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that all the fees this window went on replacing the first teamers we lost for nothing. We will likely have a similar situation with Brereton next year, but I hope that in coming windows we have a bit of cash to add to the squad rather than rebuild or plug it.

Would be nice to be in a position in January where we could spend a few quid and kick on for the run in. I’m praying the New Year collapse/death spirals are a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Successful recruitment

Unsuccessful recruitment

George Hirst

Tyler Morton

Good summary, agree with the 5 points…Though, I’d change:

- Morton into Successful - he’s a cracking player and has replaced one of Rothwell or Johnson as a first choice pick. (He’s a better footballer than both - which is saying something when A.Wharton is even better than him!! 👊🏼)

- The title, ‘Unsuccessful’ to ‘Undecided’. Szmodics hasn’t been great but also hasn’t played nearly enough to be written off and Mola literally hasn’t kicked a ball for us. 

- Finally Id add Dack to additional options as he’d been unavailable for so long.

Between the recruitment, emergence of top young talent and re-emergence of the likes of Hedges, Dack, Markanday and Carter I believe they’ve just about nailed it. Time will tell 👍🏼

• Like 7

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Successful recruitment

Unsuccessful recruitment

George Hirst

Tyler Morton

Surely the second group falls under the jury is out at this stage.

Nobody knew much about Van Hecke before last season he was more or less unheard of.

Rothwell had done the square root of fck all here until a spell first half of last season.

• Like 2