BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

25 minutes ago, martonrover said:

The only one of the three without a recent promotion from the Championship on his CV.

I would take Carvalhal, and it would be interesting, but I don’t get the hype about him when I look at his career.

Would people be so enamoured with him if he was called Fred Bloggs?
I’ll be happy with anyone other than the obvious horror options, egs Grayson, Appleton, Pulis.

I was impressed by Carlos Carvalhal when he was at Sheffield Wednesday with his style of play and tactical approach. Then you look at his spell at Braga and @unleadeda number of interesting points about what Carvalhal has done at Braga. Then if you look at those YouTube videos(I don't know if you watched them) where he talks about tactics, his coaching and you seen the type of coach he is. I think he is very impressive coach and someone who I think would do very well here and could potential take us to promotion and the PL

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I don’t know why anyone would choose Carvalhal over Farke, if Farke were keen. Huge if of course.

Look at the job Carvalhal has done at Braga and bringing in youth and developing them. 

I don't know if Farke has apply or interview by Waggott at this stage. We know that Carvalhal has and if the info from @Bbrovers2288is correct that 3 other people have been interviewed and my guess is Liam Manning, Phillip Cocu and Duncan Ferguson was interviewed given the info he posted. Something all 4 have in common is a background in bringing youth through or work in youth development at a club. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It shouldn't matter if the new head coach want to bring his own couple of staff with him like number 2 or goalkeeper coach. Most candidates will want this and should be allow this. 

Carlos Carvalhal, Daniel Farke and possible Nuno Espirto Santo should be the favourites for the head coach job if you want a head coach with championship experience. 

If you want an up and coming British head coach who has background in youth development then Liam Manning and Neil Critchley would be the obvious 2 to look at. 

Carvalhal is the one I think we should target over Farke and Nuno. I think he would be the perfect fit for our club cos if his knowledge of championship, bringing through youth at Braga and plays a style and formation that would suit our squad overall. 

I think we will make the head coach appointment in the next week and I hopefully by Wednesday. 

Both Farke and Nuno have a promotion on their CV though! I’d much rather them two 

I think Carvahal is more likely but out of the three I’d have to say I’d want Nuno. Loved at Wolves and they walked the league. Farke is another exceptional coach but doesn’t seem to have it in him to manage a relegation fight.

In any case if the three are the “candidates” then we are finally looking in the right pools. All three are good coaches.

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't agree with this at all.

That would only be the case if all five or six names on Waggott's shortlist were top names. 

Plus, we don't know what he is, or isn't, recommending to the owners. Why hasn't he cleared out the coaching staff already? Why has the fate of the existing coaching staff even been flagged up as a potential issue? Is he going to recommend to the owners we go with some desperado who's prepared to work with the existing staff at the expense of better candidates (such as Carvalhal) who aren't?

I do however obviously accept though that IF we end up with another Coyle style appointment, it will make things very toxic again.

Final point, as for him walking out if an appointment is made he does not approve of - do me a favour. He's never going to walk away from that 300k p.a. job voluntarily (sadly).

What happens if the incoming head coach want to keep Ben Benson and Damien Johnson on for an example? 

Let the head coach made a decision on the coaching staff. 

I would get rid of Lowe and Benson but keep Damien Johnson on as first team coach. So that would allow the new head coach to bring in his own number 2 and GK coach

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Both Farke and Nuno have a promotion on their CV though! I’d much rather them two 

I think Carvahal is more likely but out of the three I’d have to say I’d want Nuno. Loved at Wolves and they walked the league. Farke is another exceptional coach but doesn’t seem to have it in him to manage a relegation fight.

In any case if the three are the “candidates” then we are finally looking in the right pools. All three are good coaches.

All 3 are the kind of appointments we should be making if we want promotion within a couple of seasons

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yep, IF they were interested then Farke, Nuno (and Dyche) should be way ahead of Carvalhal in the pecking order.

It's just that CC seems a somewhat safer and more appealing prospect in comparison to a lot of the less desirable names mentioned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What happens if the incoming head coach want to keep Ben Benson and Damien Johnson on for an example? 

I would get rid of Lowe and Benson but keep Damien Johnson on as first team coach. So that would allow the new head coach to bring in his own number 2 and GK coach

You've said your first choice would be CC yet it seems widely accepted he wants to bring in his own staff!

Would you be prepared to sacrifice CC so you could keep DJ and Benson at the Club?

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You've said your first choice would be CC yet it seems widely accepted he wants to bring in his own staff!

Would you be prepared to sacrifice CC so you could keep DJ and Benson at the Club?

But we don't know what staff he wants to bring in do we? 

At Sheffield Wednesday he had Lee Bullen on his staff so I don't see the problem he would have with Damien Johnson staying on the staff. I would like Ben Benson replacing with someone more experience

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If the incoming head coach wants to keep Benson, then he shouldn't be incoming.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't agree with this at all.

That would only be the case if all five or six names on Waggott's shortlist were top names. 

Plus, we don't know what he is, or isn't, recommending to the owners. Why hasn't he cleared out the coaching staff already? Why has the fate of the existing coaching staff even been flagged up as a potential issue? Is he going to recommend to the owners we go with some desperado who's prepared to work with the existing staff at the expense of better candidates (such as Carvalhal) who aren't?

I do however obviously accept though that IF we end up with another Coyle style appointment, it will make things very toxic again.

Final point, as for him walking out if an appointment is made he does not approve of - do me a favour. He's never going to walk away from that 300k p.a. job voluntarily (sadly).

I completely understand your scepticism and lack of trust in Steve Waggott, I agree with it to a point. I do however find it ridiculous how you are happy to give the owners the benefit of the doubt time and time again.

Purely hypothetical, but If Waggott recommended 

1. Carvalhal

2. Houghton

3. Ainsworth

So no real jaw dropping candidates, all have Championship experience, all should be within our means financially.

But Venky’s decide instead for a Grayson or Pulis… managers of clearly lower calibre, reputation, ability and cost. Whose fault would that be?

Your “acceptance” of a toxic situation if we were to get another Coyle is also strange. I’d be absolutely livid with those responsible.

As for Waggott walking away, there’s been plenty of retirement rumours for a while now. Maybe he would regret saying it and think twice if it came to the crunch, but I promise you I definitely wouldn’t be letting him forget he said it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It shouldn't matter if the new head coach want to bring his own couple of staff with him like number 2 or goalkeeper coach. Most candidates will want this and should be allow this. 

Carlos Carvalhal, Daniel Farke and possible Nuno Espirto Santo should be the favourites for the head coach job if you want a head coach with championship experience. 

If you want an up and coming British head coach who has background in youth development then Liam Manning and Neil Critchley would be the obvious 2 to look at. 

Carvalhal is the one I think we should target over Farke and Nuno. I think he would be the perfect fit for our club cos if his knowledge of championship, bringing through youth at Braga and plays a style and formation that would suit our squad overall. 

I think we will make the head coach appointment in the next week and I hopefully by Wednesday. 

I would suggested it because their owner Paul Hornby want to move to Sporting Director and head coach structure. They appointed Peter Wild as head coach and Sporting Director Iain Wood 

Why should they be Chaddy?

there’s more than these two that are suitable

22 minutes ago, rigger said:

What’s wrong with Benson exactly? I see him on the end of some stick on here, but he’s helped turn Raya into a top GK and Kaminski signed a new contract recently so would imagine they have a great relationship. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Re - Duncan Ferguson, I wonder if Alan Myers is still in contact with Venkys? I can’t help thinking that he will be the one pushing Ferguson’s case.

Ferguson? He has proved nothing to date the Mgt

1 minute ago, dallydally said:

Ferguson? He has proved nothing to date the Mgt

As manager? Agreed, he obviously hasn’t, but we all know how Venkys listen to certain people, and perhaps Myers is one of those people.

I would not be surprised if Ferguson ends up getting it.

11 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Re - Duncan Ferguson, I wonder if Alan Myers is still in contact with Venkys? I can’t help thinking that he will be the one pushing Ferguson’s case.

Don’t know about Myers’s but a friend of the family knows Unsworth personally and has said both he and Duncan Ferguson are keen on going into management together(Good cop Bad cop)  , I don’t know if he and Ferguson have been discussed or interviewed at Rovers but I have been saying for a while I would not be surprised to see him here and he would be one to watch 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I think you will find Ferguson also has heavy backing from other quarters.

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

And the story was that Coyle contacted Barry White directly and offered his services for an alleged £2k per week, lived locally and had a coaching cabal in tow. He got the job and the rest is history. My memory still recalls the 'outstanding candidate' quote from Cheston. 

That sums up the depth of footballing knowledge we have in charge now.

Anyone who this Coyle was on £2k a week needs to give their bonce a wobble! Go back and I am sure there is comment about the figures involved when he was sacked.

6 minutes ago, martonrover said:

As manager? Agreed, he obviously hasn’t, but we all know how Venkys listen to certain people, and perhaps Myers is one of those people.

I would not be surprised if Ferguson ends up getting it.

I hope not!!!!! 😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤

24 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

What’s wrong with Benson exactly? I see him on the end of some stick on here, but he’s helped turn Raya into a top GK and Kaminski signed a new contract recently so would imagine they have a great relationship. 

the guy has never played the game at any level,he`s done his coaching badges through textbooks,how can he instruct professional footballers if he`s never experienced the game,he`d never get anywhere near the job in a properly run club,technically i could fit someone a new roof if i read a book about it,no doubt it would end in tragedy because iv`e never actually done it in reality

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Benson seemed to hinder both Raya and Kaminski, with their distribution. Both keepers have either lost or never had, with Benson coaching, the command of their box. Raya has improved since he hasn't had Benson coaching him. Kaminski seems to have dropped off since Benson started coaching him. To me that makes Benson a poor keeper coach. To me the relationship between a player and a coach should be professional. I doubt that relationship had any bearing what-so-ever on Kaminski signing another contract.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

That a decision for that head coach to make. Not me. 

1 hour ago, pomster said:

Why should they be Chaddy?

there’s more than these two that are suitable

Well everyone will have they own opinions but I feel those 3 would give us our chance promotion a huge lift and would give the chance to get back to PL within 2 seasons. 

You might feel there is other options out there but everyone has their own opinion. So can I please ask who do you feel is also suitable to achieve promotion within 2 seasons? 

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think you will find Ferguson also has heavy backing from other quarters.

who are? 

31 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Anyone who this Coyle was on £2k a week needs to give their bonce a wobble! Go back and I am sure there is comment about the figures involved when he was sacked.

I was given that figure by somebody who was (and still is) playing professionally. He said the figure was a big talking point in the game as it was felt that the low wage undervalued the role of a Championship manager. He also said Coyle suggested the figure.

I'll ring him now and tell him to give his head a wobble.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was given that figure by somebody who was (and still is) playing professionally. He said the figure was a big talking point in the game as it was felt that the low wage undervalued the role of a Championship manager. He also said Coyle suggested the figure.

I'll ring him now and tell him to give his head a wobble.

There’s an old saying you may or may not heave heard - “ If you’ll work for nothing you’ll steal “.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

To be fair I’d heard it was about 3k a week, as they’d agreed 11k with warnock. Him being really cheap was the selling point and he’d just been paid off by the team in Texas he’d been sacked from