BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

2 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Who is this “Houghton” who I keep reading about on here? 
Is it Bobby Houghton, the former manager of Malmo?

Chris Hughton’s record is good, and certainly compares well matched up against Carvahal.

I’d be happy with either. 

Would still prefer Farke, Ainsworth or (dream on) Dyche.

Mentally preparing for the likes of Grayson.

if the likes of grayson or lee johnson were getting the job,it would already have been announced as both are unattached and have been out of work for months,i think we can breathe easily as it appears we are going for someone at a higher level,the basket case brigade we once employed thankfully seems history

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if the likes of grayson or lee johnson were getting the job,it would already have been announced as both are unattached and have been out of work for months,i think we can breathe easily as it appears we are going for someone at a higher level,the basket case brigade we once employed thankfully seems history

Why would you assume that the only think preventing a quick appointment would be employment elsewhere? Also that rules Farke out.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

It does make you wonder why they went off him all of a sudden but rumours swirled last year they weren't too happy with some stuff.

Hmm, I wonder what it was about last year's record-setting death spiral that could have made them unhappy?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Venky’s went back to the HSH well after sacking Coyle, and after Lambert walked, and after sacking Bowyer. Christ, it’s a company run by the same people who gave us Kean and Venky’s a protracted court case! There’s nothing at all in the way Mowbray has left that suggests they won’t do the same again.

What I will say - and I don’t think I’m speaking out of turn - is that I raised this with Steve Waggott. He acknowledged that I was correct when I told him about the previous HSH links over 2 years ago and thanked me for doing so. He said he fully expects to be selecting the manager, and would not entertain agents foisting them on the club as it would be an immediate conflict of interest. 

I highlighted the issues that Mike Cheston had when we got lumbered with Coyle and suggested he might find himself in a similar position. He felt that this happening would make his position untenable.

Got to admit it got me thinking ......

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Gav said:

We have Sheff Wednesday season ticket holders in the family, they loved Carlos, still do, but he did fall at the final hurdle. It was clearly a great time to be a Wednesday fan after all the crap that came before and they don't recognise the description you give above JBiz. 

He's way beyond our means, as is Farke in my opinion, we're more Grayson than Carvalhal.

Look how many Rovers fans have (very genuinely) compared Mowbray to Souness and Hughes.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Hmm, I wonder what it was about last year's record-setting death spiral that could have made them unhappy?

The wheeling and dealing with ex Boro players surely raised an eyebrow or two.

Downing, Ayala, Pears

There was a few quid chucked about there in wages and a fee.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Houghton spent £25m on new players at Forest, I bet they helped.

Not sure where you get £25million from - read somewhere that during Hughton's fairly brief reign, £19million was spent and £16million brought in from sales.  Interestingly, same report said Forest had a net spend of just £2million over last 5 seasons.

Sadly, Mowbray's spent around £20million on new players and they haven't helped!

Yep, he's recouped some through sales of Armstrong and Raya.

I guess if you look at the respective transfer spends over Mowbray's tenure they are very similar but i think you have to agree Forest are much better placed to move forward as evidenced by what's happened since Cooper went.

To me, it's pretty clear Cooper is streets ahead of Mowbray and the difference is managerial ability and not monies spent.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I wish I was as convinced as you are. Remember, Mowbray is still being paid until the end of June - why pay two useless managers at the same time ? Venky's are in no rush.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Carvahal on his way for an interview 

Excellent news. 

He would be very good appointment as Head coach here. Knows the Championship. 

He wasn't in charge of signings at Sheffield Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

👀

IMG_20220516_213116.png

I wonder who Benni McCarthy would have on his staff here if he got the job. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I hope we're not going to find out.

Exactly. I don't know where Mccarthy's name has cropped up from but if say Bradley Orr did his coaching badges he'd have exactly the same sort of qualifications as McCarty for the role I.e. zero.

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Not sure where you get £25million from - read somewhere that during Hughton's fairly brief reign, £19million was spent and £16million brought in from sales.  Interestingly, same report said Forest had a net spend of just £2million over last 5 seasons.

I think its safe to say that the clubs that pay the biggest wages and the clubs with the biggest transfer budgets usually go up from the Championship, Nottingham Forest certainly fit that category, Blackburn Rovers do not, even Blackpool spent more money than we did this season on players.

I'm not saying Copper isn't a decent manager, he certainly is, but Forest have spent heavily in the past few season which helps.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Excellent news. 

He would be very good appointment as Head coach here. Knows the Championship. 

He wasn't in charge of signings at Sheffield Wednesday. 

I wonder who Benni McCarthy would have on his staff here if he got the job. 

The lad from the burger van in Nuttall St

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Carlos Carvalhals transfers are generally pretty lame! https://www.transfermarkt.com/carlos-carvalhal/spielertransfers/trainer/1588

Spent a fortune on Rhodes and only managed to get a few goals out of him

Look at Rhodes transfers and compare them to Steve Agnew, there’s a correlation. Maybe Carlos had no say in the transfer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Not sure where you get £25million from - read somewhere that during Hughton's fairly brief reign, £19million was spent and £16million brought in from sales. 

Yes, apparently had to oversee a huge turnover of players at the end of last season.

That's always tricky, and wasn't really given much time this season to allow a new team to gel, (that's football).

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

Look at Rhodes transfers and compare them to Steve Agnew, there’s a correlation. Maybe Carlos had no say in the transfer.

Yeah, he had loads of expensive players foisted on him by a Portuguese super agent acting as an advisor. Gives me the willies.

I'm not saying he's a shit coach but he's achieved nowt over here in spite of all the money thrown at him, and there was enough went on at Wednesday in those early days (with him at the centre of it) that it gives me massive caution as to the long term health of the club.

We've still got a massive, unguarded and naive backdoor with our current setup and I'm sure certain people will still be licking their lips.

Rumours are just that though, and the people I've talked to about this might be full of BS.

If he got it, he'd of course have my full support.

Edited by S8 & Blue

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So do we have any substantive updates or are the last few pages all just back and forth about the merits of managers who may or may not be interested in the job?

@Crimpshrine is front runner at this stage I think.

• Like 4