BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

It's the difference between advertising a job and head hunting. I find it so, so strange that Rovers talk about applicants and interview/recruitment processes. This isn't a job at a local business. This is the manager of a football club. 

Any candidates suitable of the position will have their entire career available with a quick bit of research by an average Joe. They shouldn't have to be actively putting their names forwards. To me it's why we've so often relied on managers from one agency. Not because we are bound to them, but because there's so little internal knowledge at the club that it's the only way we source a candidate. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Like Chaddy has said it's been 5 years since Mowbray appointed and toward the end seemingly the owners cut communication with him so Id say it's more than likely we will be moving away from the HSH stable.

So the owners of the football club cut communication with the team manager when there was a very real chance of the team making the playoffs - I'm sure that was in the best interests of the club!

Did Mowbray do something to upset them or are the just not interested at all. I suspect there was never much contact between the two parties and Venky's were just expecting Mowbray to turn up in the summer and get a new contract. That's probably about as much forward planning as they have ever done.

• Like 7

Cavalho has just got Braga into Europe and won the Portuguese cup.... wouldn't he be aiming a bit higher than Rovers current predicament? Seems a bit optimistic to me to get him. 

That said I suppose he's also got the biggest amount of clubs managed on his CV that I've ever seen, and probably only two real "big" clubs - Sporting and Beskitas. Has am incredibly long list of small clubs to his names, 19 clubs in 22 years, and that's with a 3 year break from 2012 to 2015. 

Definitely an odd one. Maybe would suit the odd setup at our club?

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

So the owners of the football club cut communication with the team manager when there was a very real chance of the team making the playoffs - I'm sure that was in the best interests of the club!

Did Mowbray do something to upset them or are the just not interested at all. I suspect there was never much contact between the two parties and Venky's were just expecting Mowbray to turn up in the summer and get a new contract. That's probably about as much forward planning as they have ever done.

It does make you wonder why they went off him all of a sudden but rumours swirled last year they weren't too happy with some stuff.

Just now, tomphil said:

It does make you wonder why they went off him all of a sudden but rumours swirled last year they weren't too happy with some stuff.

My impression is they just communicated less and less with everybody rather than targeting Mowbray specifically.... but maybe I could be wrong? 

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Venky’s went back to the HSH well after sacking Coyle, and after Lambert walked, and after sacking Bowyer. Christ, it’s a company run by the same people who gave us Kean and Venky’s a protracted court case! There’s nothing at all in the way Mowbray has left that suggests they won’t do the same again.

What I will say - and I don’t think I’m speaking out of turn - is that I raised this with Steve Waggott. He acknowledged that I was correct when I told him about the previous HSH links over 2 years ago and thanked me for doing so. He said he fully expects to be selecting the manager, and would not entertain agents foisting them on the club as it would be an immediate conflict of interest. 

I raised highlighted the issues that Mike Cheston had when we got lumbered with Coyle and suggested he might find himself in a similar position. He felt that this happening would make his position untenable.

I'm not just going off the fact there been a break down in communication but also what Glen Mullan said, that his source reckons be no HSH involvement in the manager appointment.

Obviously things can change and like you say they have previous so could happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Cavalho has just got Braga into Europe and won the Portuguese cup.... wouldn't he be aiming a bit higher than Rovers current predicament? Seems a bit optimistic to me to get him. 

That said I suppose he's also got the biggest amount of clubs managed on his CV that I've ever seen, and probably only two real "big" clubs - Sporting and Beskitas. Has am incredibly long list of small clubs to his names, 19 clubs in 22 years, and that's with a 3 year break from 2012 to 2015. 

Definitely an odd one. Maybe would suit the odd setup at our club?

Definitely a short term option but might just do enough in that time. 2 seasons seems to be his max, might be all he needs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

It's my opinion Mowbrays future hinged on promotion or at least making the top 6.

Iv no idea what was said between Mowbray and the owners regarding his future but up until the eve of the Bournemouth game when asked Mowbray always said he wasn't worried about it....talk at the end of the season etc.

I'm sure in similar circumstances other owners would have wanted to see how the season played out, not announce the manager would be leaving when however unlikely still a chance of making the play offs and getting promotion.

• Like 1

We were also told by Mowbray that Rothwell , Nyambe and Lenihen would be leaving the club.

Also been said we not offering enough money.

Yet Nyambe and Lenihen remain in talks with the club if it was just a money thing and we weren't close or for budging I'm sure we would have had the same social media posts as we got from Rothwell

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

My impression is they just communicated less and less with everybody rather than targeting Mowbray specifically.... but maybe I could be wrong? 

I assume from what bits we hear it's a case of all over them at first and do something good they'll be all over you again. When things aren't good they bury their heads and ignore it rather than ranting and raving or anything constructive and pro active..

They probably thought they'd stuck gold when he delivered promotion, then once they'd listened to his spiel, given him some backing and a new contract slowly realized they hadn't.

So the phone and taps get turned off yet had he got us in the play offs they'd probably have been all over him again.

I get the impression of rather fickle natured people.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I believe so although a word of caution we need to sell the club to him and the vision as much as he does to the club if that makes sense 

And of course pay him what I expect will be a decent salary. Not sure Coyle Mowbray Bowyer or Berg were on anything like he’ll want but let’s hope. 😃

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I believe so although a word of caution we need to sell the club to him and the vision as much as he does to the club if that makes sense 

To be expected to be honest - I imagine we will fail. Appreciate the info 

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

they were most likely disapointed at him spending their money and being in the same place we were 5 seasons ago,i don`t think venkys are as abscent as believed,like us they were fed up of the journey to nowhere

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Quite a lot of talk about Carvalhal being on Flamengo's radar.

If he is interested in coming here I suspect we will blow it through ineptitude or delay and he'll end up elsewhere.

No doubt all the stuff in the press is being driven by his agent, Pasha & Waggott probably don't even know who he is. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What will they be interviewing him on ? I’d not be too impressed if they weren’t there in person.

It's the done thing to interview remotely, even moreso since covid came and went and measures vary across the world...