BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

pears,magloire,jrc,all of them not the require standard for the championship

You can add Hedges and Gallagher to that list for me.

It's also only by dint of the fact that the contracts of Johnson and the unused Davenport and Chapman have just expired that the list of deadwood isn't a lot longer.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Friend of mine who's in Scotland for the golf went along to the match tonight.  Quite scathing in his phone call - felt 4 or 5 out there tonight were stealing a living as so called professional footballers and tonight just underlined what many think, our squad is threadbare and we need a minimum of half a dozen quality additions. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Friend of mine who's in Scotland for the golf went along to the match tonight.  Quite scathing in his phone call - felt 4 or 5 out there tonight were stealing a living as so called professional footballers and tonight just underlined what many think, our squad is threadbare and we need a minimum of half a dozen quality additions. 

Yes, I am afraid we are staring at the bottom third of the table, with the personnel on hand. But I am more afraid we will not see more than 2-3 additions- at least, by the start of the season.  

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We were playing our reserve team.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Pretty much 100% the 2nd team though and a very young one plus it sounded like possession was the name of the game. That rarely leads to anything exciting but it gives young players time on the ball.

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's a long grind of a season. They'll be called upon with us playing 2 games a week.

The Championship is a squad game, really.

Some of them will be called upon, but unlikely to be all of them, and definitely not all at the same time.

The result, away, is fairly creditable given the 11 we put out. In fact so far the second string have 4 'points' and the first string none. I'm not too worried unless we only sign about 4 players or less.

I know they played 3 trialists tonight, but apart from that does anyone know how relatively strong this Dundee team was by its own standards?

Edited by bluebruce

The U23's with a few U18's have just gotten a draw away at a side who beat Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen & Motherwell last season. I'd say it's a really promising run out. Obviously the Pears goalkeeping was worrying, but that's nothing new, was the same at DW a few months back. 

Sam Barnes operating at LCB fantastic this evening, my MOTM.

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

The U23's with a few U18's have just gotten a draw away at a side who beat Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen & Motherwell last season. I'd say it's a really promising run out. Obviously the Pears goalkeeping was worrying, but that's nothing new, was the same at DW a few months back. 

Sam Barnes operating at LCB fantastic this evening, my MOTM.

Did Dundee have a full strength side out? Fact that they had 3 trialists starting would suggest not. I think preseason games should always be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

• Like 3

Just now, RV Blue said:

Did Dundee have a full strength side out? Fact that they had 3 trialists starting would suggest not. I think preseason games should always be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

True, but going into panic stations is certainly ill advised given that our young guns have just given a EFL League One level side a decent game.

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

We are in desperate need of a right back.

I really dislike this formation. Still waiting for JDT to put his stamp on things… they still seem Mowbrayesque.

Quite like a 3-4-3, but there's huge emphasis on the wing-backs. Plenty of names in my head for that right side but let's see what they come up with. There's one in League One screaming out to be taken, another one from a PL club.

Think we'll end up battling Preston big time on anyone we go for, they're more desperate for quality WB's than we are, which is some feat.

148 Rovers fans in a crowd of 1300 at the game. I thought we played well first half, disorganised in the second. We should have been 4 up at HT. The Rovers fans were tucking into football’s greatest delicacy, the Scotch pie, by the bucketload. Biggest round of applause from us was for the Dundee PA announcer in the second half with this comment. “And now for the Blackburn Rovers substitutes, 5 players off and 5 players on. Sorry that’s the best I can do without a team sheet”. Forward and onward to Paradise next. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Quite like a 3-4-3, but there's huge emphasis on the wing-backs. Plenty of names in my head for that right side but let's see what they come up with. There's one in League One screaming out to be taken, another one from a PL club.

Think we'll end up battling Preston big time on anyone we go for, they're more desperate for quality WB's than we are, which is some feat.

343 worked really well for us first half of last season. However it really was very dependent on Rothwell picking up the ball centrally and driving forward, Van Hecke running the show from the middle of the back three, and Lenihan playing down the right of the centre backs. With all of those gone it will be a totally different proposition. 

Also it means Buckley/Dack will only get in as false 9s. And, as you say, we haven't really got any good wing backs. 

It seems more logical to me for us to go for 4231 as it suits the players we have left imo.

• Like 1

I do worry a bit that what JDT sees as a high pressing high intensity game coming from the relatively laid back Swedish leagues and what we see as the same in the aggressive EPL are two different things.

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Curious who you've got in mind. DM me if you don't want to say in public, if you don't mind that is.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Harsh, did your friend know we played with predominantly u18/23's?