BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackpool's Jake Daniels Comes Out As Gay

Social media is a cesspit where trolls will obviously make merry with this.

But with actual football fans in grounds? Will there be abuse? Yes, look at those idiots yesterday, but it will be much more isolated and far more infrequent than it would’ve been twenty years ago, same in dressing rooms.

Society had changed a lot, social media often masks that.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

For me, he shouldn’t even need to come out. I never came out as straight.

You just know some absolute cretins will give him some stick, but bell ends will be bell ends, I guess!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

You just know some absolute cretins will give him some stick, but bell ends will be bell ends, I guess!

Sadly still needed as there are enough of those bell ends to make homosexuality something a lot of people feel they need to hide.

I was in a musical recently and near the end of rehearsals the lead actor came out as bisexual. I was very saddened to hear him tell me his family were not supportive about it at all, and even his mum was quite nasty about it. He lives with her too, so that's extra awkward. Hopefully we reach a day when coming out is really just a formality of sorts, then not too long after that it stops being necessary at all, as genuinely nobody cares unless they're attracted to you. Probably still a way off, but progress has been made, in the West anyway.

There is still enough of an undercurrent of homophobia that we haven't had an English player come out since 1990. There have been countless thousands of men playing in England since then, there will have been hundreds and hundreds who were gay but didn't feel the environment was safe enough to say it, and that's damning.

• Like 7

Not Jake Daniels but on the same theme. Gueye (ironically given his name) refused to play for PSG because there shirts had pride colour's on their numbers. Comments on the article about it show just how far football fans / society has to come. I haven't seen anything negative towards Daniels (although no doubt there will be) but it just highlights there is the undercurrent there. Wonder how gueye would react if his team mates refused to wear an anti racism message on their shirts? 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, K-Hod said:

You aren't the only straight person in an industry where thousands of kids look up to you either, Kenny, but I get your point. 

The lad has talked about wanting to be a role model and inspiration to other young people.

Massively brave and commendable from someone so young, wish him all the best and hope it goes well for him.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sadly still needed as there are enough of those bell ends to make homosexuality something a lot of people feel they need to hide.

I was in a musical recently and near the end of rehearsals the lead actor came out as bisexual. I was very saddened to hear him tell me his family were not supportive about it at all, and even his mum was quite nasty about it. He lives with her too, so that's extra awkward. Hopefully we reach a day when coming out is really just a formality of sorts, then not too long after that it stops being necessary at all, as genuinely nobody cares unless they're attracted to you. Probably still a way off, but progress has been made, in the West anyway.

There is still enough of an undercurrent of homophobia that we haven't had an English player come out since 1990. There have been countless thousands of men playing in England since then, there will have been hundreds and hundreds who were gay but didn't feel the environment was safe enough to say it, and that's damning.

You're right to recognise the progress. The below graph is from the British Social Attitudes of a few years ago, basically shows that as recently as our title win in 1995, only around 1 in 5 people were willing to say that same-sex relationships weren't a bad thing. 

Amazing progress in the 20 years which followed. There's another graph from a study a few years earlier which shows this trend is similar for people born in different decades, which means that it is people genuinely changing their minds on this, rather than just more liberal-minded young people replacing the older groups who might have different attitues.

This obviously isn't to say that Jake Daniels isn't going to get some pretty nasty stuff aimed his way. But hopefully this is a sign that he'll get much less of that, and far more support, than an equivalent player would have even 10-15 years ago. 

image.png.5a28d307acaddd2cf46861d914b9539a.png

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

Oh how I miss the days when I could genuinely chant "Who?" from the Jack Walker Stand at a substitute because I knew most starting XIs in the PL.

No idea who this lad is, but good luck to him. He's very brave considering we still live in a world where Rico Henry is being racially abused and Burnley fans are throwing up Nazi salutes. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, J*B said:

This post was hidden by the moderators - rightly - but I think it’s that disgusting, and a prime example of the shite he’s going to have to deal with, I’m unhiding it so everyone can read what I’m banning you for. Do better. 

Jake Daniels signed a pro contract with Blackpool in February 2022. It runs until 2024 so the suggestion of the poster you quoted that is was contact related is blatantly wrong and poorly researched.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

The cynic in me asks, why did he leave it till the season had ended, to come out.

Probably to let the circus die down and not interfere with blackpools season. It was probably the best time to do it as the season ends

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

The cynic in me asks, why did he leave it till the season had ended, to come out.

I don't know if he's part of the Blackpool first team set up or not, but I think probably so that the dust can settle a little bit before he has to play in a stadium full of fans. As has been said quite a few times in the posts above, unfortunately, 'Fans' includes many bellends. Doing it now at least means it's not fresh news the next time he takes to the pitch. Can't say that I blame him. Fair play.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

I have two comments,

1. I think there must be established older gay footballers out there and it shouldn't have fallen to a 17 y/o lad to put himself into the Threshing machine of social media to be the first openly gay footballer.

2. There is rumours that similar to Philip Schofield, he was about to be outed by a tabloid paper and he got there first. If true, what an apaling paper that they would force a situation that would expose/force a child (techniacally) into this kind of decision.

• Like 1