BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

9 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Hope the work permit isn't an issue. Probably not, but the worst case scenario element of me is slightly nervous about it. Thought it would have been granted last week. Hope this doesn't drag on much longer because the players are into their second day of fully returning for training, and if we don't see pictures of JDT working in training with the players this week... 😬

Suppose he'll be fine to take training whilst we're in Portugal.

I assume he can take training in the UK but done at risk of the work permit not being granted and his contract of employment therefore being invalid. Nothing stopping him as a holiday maker rocking up and standing in a field saying "you run there, you run here". 

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I assume he can take training in the UK but done at risk of the work permit not being granted and his contract of employment therefore being invalid. Nothing stopping him as a holiday maker rocking up and standing in a field saying "you run there, you run here". 

He can watch with binos from the office.

Nothing to stop him texting Lowe 'tell that striker to get off the effing wing !' every now and again.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rigger said:

I am not saying this is true, but instead of watching pre season beasting of players, he may be talking to Nyambe about a new contract. I would prefer the latter option.

Maybe he’s locked in a room with Nyambe, Jack Bauer style, trying to persuade him to sign the contract. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

I'm sorry , but who is Jack Bauer ?

image.gif.4cd2736013e3b62e55e59332c68bc7e5.gif

Sorry, he’s not football related! He’s a fictional character from a TV series called 24, do yourself a favour and give it a watch on Disney Plus, you’ll thank me later 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan said:

image.gif.4cd2736013e3b62e55e59332c68bc7e5.gif

Sorry, he’s not football related! He’s a fictional character from a TV series called 24, do yourself a favour and give it a watch on Disney Plus, you’ll thank me later 🙂 

I can guarantee that I won't.

On 20/06/2022 at 15:06, RoversClitheroe said:

Mental.

Rich Sharpe said last week we would have work permits sorted.

Still not been granted!!! 

So that means pre season has started with Lowe 😂

If the work permit is anything like passport renewals, driving licences or powers of attorney, he'll be lucky to get one before Christmas. The inefficiency of the working people of this country is abominable.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so you do watch any TV shows on TV at all?

We were out in Spain for six weeks once with no UK TV. Spanish TV is awful, commercial breaks are longer than the bits of programme in between. I didn’t watch a single TV programme for six weeks and I can honestly say I didn’t miss it. Mrs Shoelaces wasn’t happy though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont recall reading that but may have missed it. Where did he say it?

The main disagreement was the difference in numbers that we believe we need to sign on the assumption that all of these kids are good enough now.

Specific to Vale, you cant really judge against kids. He struggled earlier in the season in non league. I would personally look to loan him to League 1 or 2 and see if he can get regular goals, but either way, my point was more that if any of these kids break through, it should be seen as a bonus, not just assumed instead of signing players as the likelihood of a clutch of kids all breaking through at once with a 100% record is minimal. So if Vale is kept around, we still need an out an out striker as you say. Same with Garrett, Wharton, Phillips and Brown.

Yes, totally agree on the numbers and that we can't rely on all these youngsters breaking through. Vale for me deserves now a chance to a squad players, making the bench and see if he can have an impact. Can send him on loan after Christmas. We definetly need another striker, a couple of midfielder and probably a couple of defenders.

Brown is 24 and physical ready, if he is good enough is left to be seen, though his outing against Bham showed some promise. Wharton for me is not ready physically, needs another year at U23 or maybe a loan. Has all the ability in the world, and are able to control a game against opposition in his age group. Still some development to do when it comes to the physical battle and working out possesion. 

Garrett for me is ready for senior football, he is on par with Davenport. Excellent passing, good competitor and positional sense is good. Needs to curb some of his rash tackles, but someone I expect to get some games this season.

Phillips is a bit hard to judge. Best centre-back talent I've seen at U23 level and still only 17. However U23 are very hard to judge a centre-back at because there is no physcal battles with a striker. Magloire was totally dominant with his pace and muscles at that level, only to be found out at senior level. Phillips is of course a different animal, but it's a big ask for someone who's not even 17 to step up at that age. 

There is also the likes of Pike, Leonard, Batty and Whitehall (if he ever get fits again) that might get considered for blooding this season.

16 minutes ago, briansol said:

Yes, totally agree on the numbers and that we can't rely on all these youngsters breaking through. Vale for me deserves now a chance to a squad players, making the bench and see if he can have an impact. Can send him on loan after Christmas. We definetly need another striker, a couple of midfielder and probably a couple of defenders.

Brown is 24 and physical ready, if he is good enough is left to be seen, though his outing against Bham showed some promise. Wharton for me is not ready physically, needs another year at U23 or maybe a loan. Has all the ability in the world, and are able to control a game against opposition in his age group. Still some development to do when it comes to the physical battle and working out possesion. 

Garrett for me is ready for senior football, he is on par with Davenport. Excellent passing, good competitor and positional sense is good. Needs to curb some of his rash tackles, but someone I expect to get some games this season.

Phillips is a bit hard to judge. Best centre-back talent I've seen at U23 level and still only 17. However U23 are very hard to judge a centre-back at because there is no physcal battles with a striker. Magloire was totally dominant with his pace and muscles at that level, only to be found out at senior level. Phillips is of course a different animal, but it's a big ask for someone who's not even 17 to step up at that age. 

There is also the likes of Pike, Leonard, Batty and Whitehall (if he ever get fits again) that might get considered for blooding this season.

I think we need 8 or 9 personally, but as you say, we can't rely and assume on these players stepping up as it is an unknown.

I would look to loan quite a few of these out because the gap between kids football and senior is so much that we could do with a good indicator of how close they actually are, rather than being on the fringes. Vale seemingly struggled in his last loan in non league and I thought Brown looked well off it at Birmingham, he is seemingly being banked on as a late developer as I am not even sure if the league he came from is fully professional.

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were out in Spain for six weeks once with no UK TV. Spanish TV is awful, commercial breaks are longer than the bits of programme in between. I didn’t watch a single TV programme for six weeks and I can honestly say I didn’t miss it. Mrs Shoelaces wasn’t happy though.

Bonus of phones and tables so able to watch whatever I want on the bench or poolside nowadays. Even at work I have my earphones listening to music or football/cricket podcasts

When I was aged 8 I sat in a bar in Magaluf watching football with burger and chips plus a pint of coke. I do miss those days now

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

Question or statement ?

question. 

• Like 1