BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 5/11/22

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not sure I understand why Sam Allardyce (35% win record) is venerated for his ability to grind out results whereas JDT (64% win record) is lucky, naive, still learning, suicidal etc etc

Your distaste for Big Sam is well scripted but he would have kept us in the Premier League for years and we would eventually have had a team more attractive to watch---home and away.

Did you criticise Souness so much when he was on the point of taking us down? We had nothing going for us then.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, both were running a Premier League team, a far different situation.

Back to JDT----we are way better higher in the League than I expected us to be and clearly the manager has talent and should be given time to develop his team. That doesn't and shouldn't prevent criticism of some pretty obvious defects.

We were at home, we are 2nd in the League, we were playing the bottom club, not the top one! Pulling up the drawbridge and settling for 1-0 so early seems inappropriate and potentially very risky. It worked this time, we can't rely on it. 

23 minutes ago, 47er said:

Your distaste for Big Sam is well scripted but he would have kept us in the Premier League for years and we would eventually have had a team more attractive to watch---home and away.

Did you criticise Souness so much when he was on the point of taking us down? We had nothing going for us then.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, both were running a Premier League team, a far different situation.

Back to JDT----we are way better higher in the League than I expected us to be and clearly the manager has talent and should be given time to develop his team. That doesn't and shouldn't prevent criticism of some pretty obvious defects.

We were at home, we are 2nd in the League, we were playing the bottom club, not the top one! Pulling up the drawbridge and settling for 1-0 so early seems inappropriate and potentially very risky. It worked this time, we can't rely on it. 

It’s worked 8 times out of 8. Of course, someone might scab a late goal but it seems JDT thinks there’s more risk stretching our own team in search of another goal from what is effectively a one-man strike force. I think I agree with him: our defence is a lot better than our attack.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

How many sides have ever performed rubbish for 20 games and won every one of them? None. Perform like that and you get beat (much) more often than not

What, exactly, was "rubbish" about that performance? We controlled the game in an attacking sense for an hour, should have had a couple more goals, then made a conscious tactical change to sit deeper and defend our lead for the last half hour which worked beautifully as we didn't give up a chance.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Irish_Rover said:

Are you harking back to the halcyon days when Tony was in charge and we had yearly death spirals?

In fairness now Tony hadn’t had his death spiral by this stage of the season (Feb usually). Plenty of time to go on that front….

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Travis and Lowe shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence, Lowe is the worst player I’ve ever seen play for Rovers. It’s just revisionist to say they are comparable.

Travis actually does the job Lowe could never do and that's just facts although it doesn't mean he's perfect.

• Like 6

I think it’s frankly incredible that we are currently 2nd. Manager and DOF coming in late, new style of play etc. if we finish top 6 this year I would be ecstatic!

-New contracts given to players is something we haven’t done in a long long time.

-Britain, Hyam (bargain of the season), Morton are all excellent signings.

-Wharton, Garrett, Batty introduced into the side.

I see so many positives in how we want to play, but this will take months of repetition and at least two more cycles of players coming in and leaving.

I have not felt this positive in years and JDT and GB have created this feel good factor, with dare I say it Venkys actually having a plan (Tin hat on!)

• Like 5

It wasn't the best performance BUT we needed a win in the dress rehearsal and that lot needed to lose, job done. Our home record is unrivalled and that's 6 straight wins with just 2 goals conceded. I'll take that any day of the week. If it means us recycling the famous 1 nil to the Arsenal chant from the 90's so be it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not sure I understand why Sam Allardyce (35% win record) is venerated for his ability to grind out results whereas JDT (64% win record) is lucky, naive, still learning, suicidal etc etc

Our back 5, when we defend a lead, is as strong a line up as I can remember - hardly a mistake in them. The way we seamlessly switch formation to defend a lead shows how well drilled everyone is. Even Kaminski, with his amateur Sunday league coach, is miles better this season. 14 leads seen through to 14 wins is a staggering statistic.

Winning is the name of the game John, always has and always will be so job done as far as Rovers are concerned. My point is that we ended up with a back eight and defended on the edge of our box which simply allowed Huddersfield to push on. I haven't a problem with defending a lead but we just do it far too deep. Another ten yards up the pitch would deny our opponents the room to get at us. I did notice yesterday that Tomasson at times was gesturing to the players to get up the pitch but for some reason we didn't. Yesterday again it was every player back in our box to defend corners and there was no body there to challenge when it was cleared. It also enabled Huddersfield's deepest outfield player be be thirty five yards out.

We all want the best for Rovers and in the view of many these sort of things will make us better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AspRover said:

Opinion that will go down like a lead balloon -

If we could find a new good left back from somewhere I'd be half tempted to try Pickering in midfield - he's got a great range of passing and can tackle, but against a fast winger he's just too slow and gets minced. He's been one of our better players this season and he'd be less exposed on the left of a midfield three.

For me Mola should be given a go at left midfield. Maybe against Wham

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J*B said:

If we’re 1-0 up at the Dingle dome and attempt to defend the lead for 30 minutes I’ll have a heart attack. 

If we're defending that cricket field end goal and Ayala gets any deeper, he might end up at fine leg. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Reginald said:

What, exactly, was "rubbish" about that performance? We controlled the game in an attacking sense for an hour, should have had a couple more goals, then made a conscious tactical change to sit deeper and defend our lead for the last half hour which worked beautifully as we didn't give up a chance.

Exactly right, and only possible because of the signing of Hyam alongside Ayala. 

18 hours ago, moerpho said:

He secured 3 points at home, six in a row at home, we’re second in the league…and you’re moaning?

I'm criticising rather than moaning.

Going ultradefensive when leading at home against the worst team in the division is a dangerous ploy. In this game it was not necessary.

We conceded midfield which then made Vale and Dolan redundant but exposed to criticism for appearing to do fuck all when in reality there was nowt coming their way. Dack was fortunate not to be exposed to this.

Very happy with the win, we all are, but not so enamoured with these tactics at home to crap.

Keep on with your Super fanboy impression though if it makes you feel good.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 8

I’m torn on how to view things. 2nd in the league and 6 home wins on the spin is above expectations. But the defensive mentality of being happy to sit further and further back protecting a lead is not how I like my teams to play. But as they say….it’s a results business.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm criticising rather than moaning.

Going ultradefensive when leading at home against the worst team in the division is a dangerous ploy. In this game it was not necessary.

We conceded midfield which then made Vale and Dolan redundant but exposed to criticism for appearing to do fuck all when in reality there was nowt coming there way. Dack was fortunate not to be exposed to this.

Very happy with the win, we all are but not so enamoured with these tactics at home to crap.

Keep on with your Super fanboy impression though if it makes you feel good.

What some people seem to be forgetting is that along with football being a results business it’s also an entertainment business. Or it certainly used to be. Ponder on that when you decry the attendances at Rovers. If I was an ex season ticket holder considering returning to attending games nothing  I saw yesterday would have me rushing back down to Ewood. Shutting up shop when you’re 1-0 up against the bottom of the league at home with 30 minutes to go won’t get the lost thousands coming back irrespective of our league position.

The passing in the first half was laboured, turgid and un imaginative. Lots of the time we were playing walking football. Always in front of the opposition and so rarely around the sides. So easy to play against, even for a team at the bottom of the league. We should have teams shaking in their boots when they’re walking out at Ewood yet yesterday we let them play themselves in with no problem at all. We never go for the throat straight from the kick off. The couple of times we went out of character and played route one balls we caused them real problems.

The last 30 minutes of the second half had me pulling my hair out. Nearly all the game was played out in our last third of the pitch. Yes, we defended really well and restricted Hudds to speculative efforts most of the time. That was because they are really blunt up front, better teams will make the most of playing 30 minutes in our half. Anybody who thought that last half an hour was entertaining - come around to my house, I’ve got a hammer and some nails - you could knock them through the back of your hand. 

Sometimes I think we’ve watched so much shite over the last ten years we’ve forgotten what entertaining football looks like.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4