BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Ham United (a) - League Cup - 9/11/22

Still riding on a high after last night. Brilliant game, so many players stepped up. Mola and Vale did particularly well. Impressed with Garrett as well. Buckley got better as the game went on. 

Wharton really struggled. Outmuscled and  gave the ball away more than most.

Stadium is completely unsuited to football. Acoustics are terrible. Great to see so many Rovers fans and fair play to Wham for ticket prices.

54 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Something interesting I found out last night was when teams take penalties in the shoot out players don’t have to stand on the half way line, they can stand anywhere they want as long as it’s not in the box. If arbitro can confirm this I would be greatful. If true I wonder why nobody seems to do it. Could be a respect thing to the players taking penalties but with some managers you would think we would have seen players hanging around the box before now. 

The law hasn't changed in respect of the all the participating players (with the exception of the keepers and actual penalty taker) having to stay on the half way line. I didn't notice and deviance from this last night.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Liverpool or Man City away. If there's a virtually unwinnable tie we'll get it. 

I think a Liverpool tie would be better than the mid-table / bottom half clubs. They’ll stick out a youth team and have no depth whereas the likes of Leicester and Wolves will see it as a cup chance. 
City though…their reserves are top 4 quality 

I'll Take: Liverpool, United, Burnley, MK Dons, Charlton, Lincoln, Gillingham 

I'd Hate: Brighton Away, Leicester, Villa, Wolves, Southampton Away, Bournemouth Away

Indifferent on the rest i.e. Newcastle away will be good trip and City will be fun regardless of the fact we'll get battered.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

Cracking result last night, everyone did their bit, not least all 10 eligible outfield players scoring their penalty.

Can only be a good confidence building thing for all concerned. 

Theres a great article on the website about Szmodics, including a video that he posted that either his family or friends shot from in the stand showing him taking his penalty, clearly big Hammers fans like him, but willing him to score nonetheless!

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

The law hasn't changed in respect of the all the participating players (with the exception of the keepers and actual penalty taker) having to stay on the half way line. I didn't notice and deviance from this last night.

Having done a quick Google it states that all other players with the exception of the kicker have to be at least ten yards away from the penalty spot

36 minutes ago, matt83 said:

He got outmuscled for the West Ham equaliser but by and large I though he looked really good up against a Prem attack. Decent distributor too

I reckon VAR would have had something to say about that first goal. It’s shoulder to back.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rover_in_the_South said:

Those that were there, did Mola look ready to be considered for the first team?

I've just rewatched the game on Rovers TV and Mola was impressive. I would certainly put him ahead of Phillips and possibly even Carter. He's left footed and has decent distribution so I'd have him as a back up for Wharton.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I reckon VAR would have had something to say about that first goal. It’s shoulder to back.

I thought it was a foul as soon as I saw it. He may have been a bit lightweight but you can't just shove someone in the back. 

Once again west ham get a refereeing decision in their favour. 

I was watching some video of their fans reactions after the game. They really don't like Moyes. They were well and truly aware that we put out a second string squad. One comment was "yep, we did play 5 at the back against Blackburn's reserves"

• Like 1

Watched the replay and to me that group looked better at the JDT way than the league team.  I thought the same in the 1st two rounds but blew it iff as against lower league opponents, this was not.  To me we look snappier moving the ball, quicker to close down with the League Cupp outfit.  Is JDT building two teams here?  Great result.

21 minutes ago, superniko said:

At least its not Villa again! Didn’t we play them like 6 times in one season under Allardyce. 

I can remember us getting done 6-4 at Villa Park in the second leg of a League Cup Semi when the BBC had broadcasting rights, I seem to recall the weather was dismal up here at the time. Manchester Derby was the 'half' of that draw I think. January 2010 or 2011?

1 hour ago, Norn Iron Rover said:

I've just rewatched the game on Rovers TV and Mola was impressive. I would certainly put him ahead of Phillips and possibly even Carter. He's left footed and has decent distribution so I'd have him as a back up for Wharton.

Mola caught my eye too,.would love.to see more of him on the pitch for the 1st team.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GHR said:

I can remember us getting done 6-4 at Villa Park in the second leg of a League Cup Semi when the BBC had broadcasting rights, I seem to recall the weather was dismal up here at the time. Manchester Derby was the 'half' of that draw I think. January 2010 or 2011?

Yeah I had an exam the next day and decided not to go - wasn’t much revising going down when Kalinic put us 2-0 up! 

Anyway, Forest at home, about as boring as it gets from those teams. Hopefully a 2nd string team for them. Do they have many World Cup internationals they’d rest?

9 minutes ago, superniko said:

Yeah I had an exam the next day and decided not to go - wasn’t much revising going down when Kalinic put us 2-0 up! 

Anyway, Forest at home, about as boring as it gets from those teams. Hopefully a 2nd string team for them. Do they have many World Cup internationals they’d rest?

We’d have won that game but for Chris Samba having a brain fart and giving away a stupid pen and getting a red card as well ! If a striker is through on goal and you can’t get a clean tackle in just do your best to pressure them. They can always have the shot saved or shoot wide. Even if they score it’s still 11 v 11.

• Like 2