BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Ham United (a) - League Cup - 9/11/22

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

got a bit frustrating when they cut away from our shootout just to babble on about liverpool, luckily they caught our final penalties live though

Yes, they should have replayed the ones they didn't cover live and then go back to live. They did that for others.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

You don't think a team with Pears Rankin-Costello, Edun, Vale, Buckley et al is any weaker than a team with Trav, Hyam, Gally, Morton, Kaminski etc etc? 

That is surprising.

No I said apart from defence there isn't much difference.  Midfield to front is minimal apart from BBD. Look who played tonight Dack, Vale  Buckley, Markanday  swap with Szmodics, Hedges, Gallagher, Travis. I think we've got good depth now

1 minute ago, M_B said:

Great win, 11 changes with 5 academy players in the starting line up and 3 on the bench. 

Pleased for Vale to notch, and Hirst to put his penalty away, but how must Szmodics have felt taking his? 

Because he’s a West Ham fan?

Would make him want to score even more I should think.

Am I remembering right here… didn’t we lose to West Ham on penalties in 1998?

Wilcox redeemed his 1993 miss absolutely smashing one into the top corner, but Hendry missed the decisive one. If so I’m even happier with beating them tonight!

Edit: I am definitely remembering right. FA Cup replay. Finished 2-2 and Henry missed in sudden death. Hated Eyal Berkovic at the time as he’d had a run in with Kevin Gallacher and I think got him sent off.

Edited by Miller11

Ah, well that was a fun one 🙂 Generally quite a good effort/performance from everyone.

Just before the equaliser, my friend (a neutral) commented, "huh, I wonder why they're not trying to get it to Brereton more...". Classic cut in and finish from him!

That backline had me nervous throughout, but West Ham's goals were ultimately the result of a couple lucky breaks (Buckley deserves some stick for the one goal - I'd have to see the replay - but otherwise I thought he was pretty good tonight).

Edun had a couple awkward moments defending the ball in the air, but was otherwise excellent. JRC definitely struggled a few times defensively, but also played a few great balls. Mola was good, but unsurprisingly tired. Carter... not sure he'll quite make it, but he did well in the end.

Can't believe Markanday couldn't finish either of those chances, and he went absent a few times. Showed he can handle the ball well, but I worry about his overall speed. Kinda like how Dolan (who was good tonight) has poor straight-line speed but can make up for it with his short bursts.

Dack struggled a bit when we were chasing West Ham, but also showed his class quite a few times in midfield.

West Ham... seemed to know how to generate a lot of corners but not much else. Pears seems to be an okay shot stopper, but an adventure with crosses.

Plus some excellent pens!

• Like 5