BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Ham United (a) - League Cup - 9/11/22

4 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Ah, well that was a fun one 🙂 Generally quite a good effort/performance from everyone.

Just before the equaliser, my friend (a neutral) commented, "huh, I wonder why they're not trying to get it to Brereton more...". Classic cut in and finish from him!

That backline had me nervous throughout, but West Ham's goals were ultimately the result of a couple lucky breaks (Buckley deserves some stick for the one goal - I'd have to see the replay - but otherwise I thought he was pretty good tonight).

Edun had a couple awkward moments defending the ball in the air, but was otherwise excellent. JRC definitely struggled a few times defensively, but also played a few great balls. Mola was good, but unsurprisingly tired. Carter... not sure he'll quite make it, but he did well in the end.

Can't believe Markanday couldn't finish either of those chances, and he went absent a few times. Showed he can handle the ball well, but I worry about his overall speed. Kinda like how Dolan (who was good tonight) has poor straight-line speed but can make up for it with his short bursts.

Dack struggled a bit when we were chasing West Ham, but also showed his class quite a few times in midfield.

West Ham... seemed to know how to generate a lot of corners but not much else. Pears seems to be an okay shot stopper, but an adventure with crosses.

Plus some excellent pens!

What channel was it on.

I can get Canadian sports channels but didn't look as it was not on my other usual sources 

7 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What channel was it on.

I can get Canadian sports channels but didn't look as it was not on my other usual sources 

Ah, I'm actually a London-based Canadian, so it was just a quick Overground trip for me tonight!

(A great credit to those who did travel down! Some great noise. Sadly got my ticket too late to sit in the away end, so had to keep my pen celebrations relatively muted among some West Ham fans!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Tommasson has to have been a huge influence on the calm focused coolness of how all our players took their kicks, it would definitely have been a shitshow of a shoot out if the miserable git mowbray had been on the touchline sucking the life out of everything

Did you find Tony's body language to be negative?🤣  He'd look miserable if he won the lottery.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Ah, I'm actually a London-based Canadian, so it was just a quick Overground trip for me tonight!

(A great credit to those who did travel down! Some great noise. Sadly got my ticket too late to sit in the away end, so had to keep my pen celebrations relatively muted among some West Ham fans!)

Thanks. You got to a good game!

I can access all the TSN channels from here.

• Like 1

As a side note what a crap stadium. We stood in the top tier (well not really a tier as shared the same concourse) but the bit that was separated from the fans at the bottom by the enormous no man’s land, such a poor perspective on the game. Ran out of Amstel so £6.80 for a fosters and toilets barely fit for purpose. Naff all in the way of pubs or anything near the ground, big shopping centre aside. Wembley esque queues for the tube. If I supported West Ham I’d be gutted to leave Upton Park for that soulless dump.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I really hope that goal, and it was a well taken goal (huge credit to Edun for a superb pass as well), gives Vale a huge confidence boost. 

I've been his biggest critic so far but hopefully that goal might just help him kick on a bit.

I vote we splash out on a proven forward to.try get us over the line.  Can this lad not go out on loan.?

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
19 minutes ago, matt83 said:

As a side note what a crap stadium. We stood in the top tier (well not really a tier as shared the same concourse) but the bit that was separated from the fans at the bottom by the enormous no man’s land, such a poor perspective on the game. Ran out of Amstel so £6.80 for a fosters and toilets barely fit for purpose. Naff all in the way of pubs or anything near the ground, big shopping centre aside. Wembley esque queues for the tube. If I supported West Ham I’d be gutted to leave Upton Park for that soulless dump.

The view from the upper tier was atrocious - it must have been the best part of 100 yards to the pitch from there. The beer service was fast with plenty of staff but the choice was bloody awful. No proper beer at all.

There are plenty of good options for bars in the area but you have to know where to go. If all you saw was between Stratford tube and the stadium there is nothing at all worth visiting. We were in Hackney Wick, just on the other side of the ground and there was lots of choice. Although nowhere was cheap I had a couple of nice pints for £5.50 in the very trendy Beer Merchants Tap, only 10 minutes from the ground.

We were also back at my son’s house by 10.30, which I think is the quickest I have ever been back from a professional game since I lived a 10 minute walk from Bramall Lane for a year as a student in 1972/73.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You could watch Rovers for the next 50 years, if you’re lucky enough of course, and you won’t see a repeat of that - ever.

Exactly this. Bloody not enough praise for those kids tonight.I’ve never seen that before… even Hirst scored a great pen

“So much for I don’t care about this game unpin it ha ha”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Edit: I am definitely remembering right. FA Cup replay. Finished 2-2 and Henry missed in sudden death. Hated Eyal Berkovic at the time as he’d had a run in with Kevin Gallacher and I think got him sent off.

Wasn't that the game where Berkovic punched Gallacher in the face and got sent off? Gally just stood there and smiled in disbelief at what Berkovic had done.

I remember a cup game away at Newcastle where it went to penalties and our youngsters at the time banged away each pen so calmly and confidently for us to win it; young players like Dunn, Johnson, Duff, Taylor etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

It's as easy as 1-2-3, J-D-T!

How about MGP's old song - Jon Dahl Tomasson Tra la la la la 

( To the tune of Brown Girl in the Ring for those of you who don't remember - mind u, if you're too young to remember MGP then trying to explain who Boney M are is going to be a real struggle! 😅)

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, bazza said:

Wasn't that the game where Berkovic punched Gallacher in the face and got sent off? Gally just stood there and smiled in disbelief at what Berkovic had done.

I remember being at that game. Aged about 12, the family having just moved to the South, going from having season tickets to only catching the odd game here and there. Gally was in superb form. Pace, finishing and becoming a real icon of mine. I hated Berkovic because of it. And had real issues getting behind his signing a couple of years later even though he was key to our promotion. Thankfully we signed Tuguy instead. Twice the player of Berkovic and meant that I never really had to settle my grudge against him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I remember being at that game. Aged about 12, the family having just moved to the South, going from having season tickets to only catching the odd game here and there. Gally was in superb form. Pace, finishing and becoming a real icon of mine. I hated Berkovic because of it. And had real issues getting behind his signing a couple of years later even though he was key to our promotion. Thankfully we signed Tuguy instead. Twice the player of Berkovic and meant that I never really had to settle my grudge against him. 

Horrible shit of a player, never liked him.

He was running alongside Gallagher and dived pretending to have been hit in the face. Gallagher was given a straight red which was a five match ban back then. Totally fucked our season.