BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (a) - 1/4/23

From the World Cup break onwards there were a few goals where you felt Kaminsky could have done better. His form wasn't top notch up to the injury. Pears has surprised us all, and there are very few, if any, instances I can think of where I have thought “Kaminsky would have done better there”. 

Therefore it is counter productive to the whole squads mentality if you come in and do a better job than the previous incumbent on form, and yet are then dropped. Pears remains number one for me.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Is that to balance out the gallons of diesel you burn with the boat ? 

I make no claim to being perfect environmentally, but having driven an electric car for the last 5.5 years I can’t imagine buying an ICE car again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I cannot believe you actually wrote this about Pears, the lad has been nothing short of magnificent in the sticks whilst TK has been out injured.

He had a horrific set of games previously and I never thought he would ever recover after his abortion of a game at Wigan in the cup. However, and fair play to both him and the coaches, the lad has come on leaps and bounds and has shown exactly the ability that Mowbray and co saw in him.

So, if you ask me this shows two things, he is a bloody good keeper and wasn't a signing as a family member and that also, despite some on here saying otherwise, Benson and co actually know what they are doing with goalkeepers!

In my opinion the first choice keeper is always selected first. If you can't believe that, it is your prerogative.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I cannot believe you actually wrote this about Pears, the lad has been nothing short of magnificent in the sticks whilst TK has been out injured.

He had a horrific set of games previously and I never thought he would ever recover after his abortion of a game at Wigan in the cup. However, and fair play to both him and the coaches, the lad has come on leaps and bounds and has shown exactly the ability that Mowbray and co saw in him.

So, if you ask me this shows two things, he is a bloody good keeper and wasn't a signing as a family member and that also, despite some on here saying otherwise, Benson and co actually know what they are doing with goalkeepers!

To be fair the run of games he played last season he was good as well. He just had such a disaster against Wigan that it overshadowed the other performances.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

Keepers are a strange breed it's 75% mental with them as long as they have decent basic ability.

Steele is holding down the starting spot at Brighton now.

That really is incredible, I would never have picked it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

To be fair the run of games he played last season he was good as well. He just had such a disaster against Wigan that it overshadowed the other performances.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. 

I think we have to factor in Kaminskis form was being hampered by his injury. Pre world cup and the last 2 seasons he's been brilliant for us. In fact pre world cup he'd be my player of the season. 

He's a better keeper than Pears. Pears is doing very well atm and most think he should keep the shirt for Birmingham, that's fine but I wouldn't equate that to him being a better keeper.

Personally think Pears has got an absolute howler in him, see reading at home during the lock down season, Wigan away last season, Stoke away this season.

I also think he's benefited from the increased pragmatism that JDT has shown with our playing out from the back, he's letting the keeper put his foot through it more which I think kaminski was not being allowed to do so much earlier in the season (that's conjecture on my part). 

I also disagree with the poster who said that he can't think of many kaminski would've saved that we have conceded with pears. I'd have to go back through but I do think he's a better shot stopper. But pears hasn't conceded many at all.

Pears has done everything asked of him, kaminski is a better keeper. What's better for the team now? What message would dropping pears show, the other players? would it be seen as ruthless or unfair? Allowing the inform player to retain the shirt or bringing back the established no 1 who has been a very good player for the club. Only one can play. That's why it's the most interesting selection decision we've had in years.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, renrag said:

Every first choice keeper has eventually been overtaken at some point by his number two. We arguably missed the best of Shay Given by not giving him an opportunity when Flowers had passed his peak

Glad I'm not the only one to have thought  like that, @renrag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Keepers are a strange breed it's 75% mental with them as long as they have decent basic ability.

Steele is holding down the starting spot at Brighton now.

Staggering. I remember a defeat at Reading (we always lose there when I go) and he was all over the place - he made John Filan look world class. I couldn't understand how he had made it in the professional game. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Staggering. I remember a defeat at Reading (we always lose there when I go) and he was all over the place - he made John Filan look world class. I couldn't understand how he had made it in the professional game. 

Physically the weakest keeper iv'e seen at Rovers and he was bang average at best although i thought he improved a bit as time went on. Then he seemed to go downhill after John Keeley left and was awful in our relegation season but that's when all the questions started about Benson as the new coach.

Training with a rookie number 2 and a rookie coach in an ailing team/club can't have helped him although he was crap at Sunderland as well.  Spent most of his time at Brighton as 3rd choice but seems their manager now has given him a chance so perhaps he's a late bloomer.

I don't think Kaminski should come straight back in. Pears was brilliant when he stepped up in January. Since then he hasn't made any 'big' errors but he's also not pulled off any massive saves in the past few games. 

If anything Kaminski sitting on the bench will act as extra motivation for Pears which will hopefully see him find another 10%. That could be the difference when fighting for promotion. 

It's also a positive that Kaminski is given time to get back up to speed and that's not to mention the negative effect it could have on the squads mentality if they see an inform player harshly dropped for somebody who is a bigger name.

I say let them battle it out. Kaminski needs to win the gloves back and he has the talent to do so. Competition is good.

Kaminski is the better keeper and a level above Pears, but that said... Pears has exceeded expectations and shown himself to be reliable championship keeper... BUT THEN that said again there have been a few goals we've conceded that I'm certain Kaminski would have saved with his exceptional reflex saves..... BUT THEN THAT SAID!!!!.... Like any other player Kaminski needs to bide his time, prove his fitness and take his chance when it comes along (which I'm sure it will very soon) 

• Like 3

When Kaminski arrived he had a unique (sometimes quite scary) positional sense, in that he was almost in midfield at times! Rightly or wrongly he's gradually been pushed back. Also when he arrived his distribution was better, it seemed to get a bit shaky after an injury the other season, from memory either a groin or hammy strain. Things like that can become mental (fear of reoccurrence). If he's now had knee surgery there's a worry from that too. Personally I think I'd be tempted to stick with Pears now till the end of the season to avoid rocking the boat too much.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Kaminski is the better keeper and a level above Pears, but that said... Pears has exceeded expectations and shown himself to be reliable championship keeper... BUT THEN that said again there have been a few goals we've conceded that I'm certain Kaminski would have saved with his exceptional reflex saves..... BUT THEN THAT SAID!!!!.... Like any other player Kaminski needs to bide his time, prove his fitness and take his chance when it comes along (which I'm sure it will very soon) 

Thing is... If JDT sticks with pears for Saturday... When does he bring Kaminski back in to the fold? Wait for pears to make a blunder and drop him? That won't help the lads confidence. 

If he drops him now that also won't help his confidence..

We are in one of those rare situations..

Pears contract up soon, do we play him to sell him like Arsenal did with Martinez? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Kaminski saves the Sheff Utd winner.  In fact, any half decent keeper would have done.

I bumped into an old City supporting mate of mine at work yesterday.

The first thing he said to me was 'How did your keeper not save that winner?'

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't think Kaminski should come straight back in. Pears was brilliant when he stepped up in January. Since then he hasn't made any 'big' errors but he's also not pulled off any massive saves in the past few games. 

If anything Kaminski sitting on the bench will act as extra motivation for Pears which will hopefully see him find another 10%. That could be the difference when fighting for promotion. 

It's also a positive that Kaminski is given time to get back up to speed and that's not to mention the negative effect it could have on the squads mentality if they see an inform player harshly dropped for somebody who is a bigger name.

I say let them battle it out. Kaminski needs to win the gloves back and he has the talent to do so. Competition is good.

I think the point is that Pears hasn't really had to pull off any massive saves. 

On the whole, we've been solid and calm since he came back in. 

Wouldn't argue with either playing,both got strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Physically the weakest keeper iv'e seen at Rovers and he was bang average at best although i thought he improved a bit as time went on. Then he seemed to go downhill after John Keeley left and was awful in our relegation season but that's when all the questions started about Benson as the new coach.

Training with a rookie number 2 and a rookie coach in an ailing team/club can't have helped him although he was crap at Sunderland as well.  Spent most of his time at Brighton as 3rd choice but seems their manager now has given him a chance so perhaps he's a late bloomer.

Talking of Brighton's 3rd choice goalkeepers, I'm sure I remember Christian Walton, whom Brighton loaned us in 2019-20 season, being described that way at the time we signed him.

The same season, they loaned Sanchez to Rochdale so I'm not sure if lending him to a Division 4 club meant they saw him as their 4th Choice keeper at that time. I only saw Sanchez play for 'Dale once that season and he was more impressive than I ever remember Walton being for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

When Kaminski arrived he had a unique (sometimes quite scary) positional sense, in that he was almost in midfield at times! Rightly or wrongly he's gradually been pushed back. Also when he arrived his distribution was better, it seemed to get a bit shaky after an injury the other season, from memory either a groin or hammy strain. Things like that can become mental (fear of reoccurrence). If he's now had knee surgery there's a worry from that too. Personally I think I'd be tempted to stick with Pears now till the end of the season to avoid rocking the boat too much.....

Mowbrays play it out from the back style and JDT's differ quite a bit he went from sweeper to playing 3 aside in his own box.

I think he's overdone it at times and needs to find the right balance between getting it out quicker and when to draw them in. Pears imo has been a lot better at that and defenders haven't put him under the same pressure, Ayala being out has helped that.

Have to admit there have been times over the last few games where iv'e thought Tommy k saves that.  On the other hand we haven't had as many heart in the mouth moments created by ourselves at the back and costing a goal.

It's a tough call but for me for now Pears has the shirt.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Kaminski saves the Sheff Utd winner.  In fact, any half decent keeper would have done.

And Pears may well save the Birmingham and Middlesboro goals at Ewood. Kaminsky also threw one in against Rotherham. It's swings and roundabouts on this seasons form. At the moment I wouldn't want to 'rock the boat' when I don't see it as necessarily and upgrade in what we will have on the pitch. But it's a tough call, and if he did put TK back in I wouldn't complain.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

And Pears may well save the Birmingham and Middlesboro goals at Ewood. Kaminsky also threw one in against Rotherham. It's swings and roundabouts on this seasons form. At the moment I wouldn't want to 'rock the boat' when I don't see it as necessarily and upgrade in what we will have on the pitch. But it's a tough call, and if he did put TK back in I wouldn't complain.

2 years on the run that Pears has got us out the cup with his dodgy keeping.  Sorry, I want my keepers to perform when it counts. Pears is bog standard.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Talking of Brighton's 3rd choice goalkeepers, I'm sure I remember Christian Walton, whom Brighton loaned us in 2019-20 season, being described that way at the time we signed him.

The same season, they loaned Sanchez to Rochdale so I'm not sure if lending him to a Division 4 club meant they saw him as their 4th Choice keeper at that time. I only saw Sanchez play for 'Dale once that season and he was more impressive than I ever remember Walton being for us.

Me too. Sanchez looked very promising whenever I saw him play. He reminded me a lot of Raya.

• Like 1