BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

I'm so proud of our team today. Regardless of the result every man played his heart out for the cause.  If Rovers play with that spirit in every game Ewood will be filling up.

Ref was good today, too. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'm so proud of our team today. Regardless of the result every man played his heart out for the cause.  If Rovers play with that spirit in every game Ewood will be filling up.

Ref was good today, too. 

i thought the ref was extremely naive when it came down to the huddersfield players collapsing on the spot whenever the ball went out of play

kudos to all the players and jdt for that second half,it was the best we`ve played all season,adam wharton was by far the best player on the pitch,he stood out a mile

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not for me. His form wasn’t great when Carter got in.

It would have a huge knock on effect for the way we play too. JRCs success is based around the fact that Carter moves over and covers his space. I guess you could say Hyam would do the same, but Carter does it very well. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its such an easy, lazy assumption to suggest that Brereton's mind is elsewhere. His demeanour doesn't suggest that, hence his frustration a few times with soft free kicks that went against him. He was as involved as any of the front 3, you can criticise his decision making/end product but he didn't play like a player who didn't want to be here.

Enough of them, perhaps, but totally writing off our chances of winning ANY of them? 

But his job is to score and create - he did neither nor did he did anything to justify automatic selection - That’s my view after this Easter’s disaster

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

At the end of the season that late equaliser may prove to be what gets us in to the playoffs.

I can't remember since I was so entertained by one of our players as Joe Rankin-Costello today. Although perhaps he should be grateful that he doesn't have an Italian defensive minded coach as manager since he didn't seem to be playing in any particular position.

I don't understand why people are blaming Pears for their first goal. He advanced to collect the header by the Huddersfield player but it was then deflected close up by Morton and also by a Huddersfield player - no human being would have the reflexes to change their position there.

He’s getting the blame because for me him and Carter contrived to give them a soft corner thanks to a total lack of communication.  It was Pears ball to come for all day long yet Carter obviously had not received a shout and felt he had no other option than to deal with the ball. 

The less said about the defending from the corner the better. 

Edited by robfranlong81

6 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

But his job is to score and create - he did neither nor did he did anything to justify automatic selection - That’s my view after this Easter’s disaster

That is different from the point that you made questioning his commitment by implying that his mind was elsewhere. I don't see how based on his performance today that the conclusion could be that he wasn't giving his all. He seemed visibly frustrated a few times with refereeing decisions and things not quite falling his way.

End product is obviously a different argument altogether. Aside from his assist I thought that Dolan offered the least threat along the front 3 and Szmodics was also wasteful in the final third so it would be unfair to single him out. Brereton did offer a threat although missed a couple of chances. That being said, even this season you cannot say that Brereton is less productive than either of the other 2, still comfortably our top scorer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I noticed today after about twenty minutes one of the Huddersfield staff taking towels out and giving them to the ball boys. Why after twenty minutes and not the start? 

I imagine it was after 22 minutes arbiter i.e. after they and gone two up. I have no problem if they want to play silly buggers and dry the ball every throw in, just as long as the ref recognises it for the time wasting it was and adds the relevant time on. Clearly that didn't happen today. There were 5 substitutions in the second half and two longish stops for injuries - that must have accounted for 5 minutes. The time could easily have been doubled.

I can't remember a game where the opposition have played everyone behind the ball all game and made no attempt to challenge for the ball in our half.

I thought we played decently in the first half bar letting two soft goals in. There were at least 3 times we should have scored in the first half even if we didn't work the keeper.

26 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned but I love how Hyam pushed forward a lot today. Looked comfortable doing so which is great to see.

Well of course he did, as did Carter. That's because Huddersfield just conceded the space and let both centre backs walk up to the half way line. It's easy to look comfortable on the ball when no one's challenging you. This is not a criticism, just that he's unlikely to get the same freedom in the next few matches, at least not all game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Well of course he did, as did Carter. That's because Huddersfield just conceded the space and let both centre backs walk up to the half way line. It's easy to look comfortable on the ball when no one's challenging you. This is not a criticism, just that he's unlikely to get the same freedom in the next few matches, at least not all game.

Morton benefitted from this massively too.

2 hours ago, M_B said:

How's yer nerves everyone? 

Maybe corner practise at both ends this week in training is in order. 

Calm and ready for the Hull game already

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I haven't a clue what that means.

Don't take him on, I very much enjoyed reading your summary of the match and your opinions on the game. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

The first half we where poor, did their keeper make a save ?

Yes from JRC twice and Szmodics 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Does nobody else think Burnley will be on the beach already and it’s a decent chance of a win 

Lets win against Hull first

12 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

He’s getting the blame because for me him and Carter contrived to give them a soft corner thanks to a total lack of communication.  It was Pears ball to come for all day long yet Carter obviously had not received a shout and felt he had no other option than to deal with the ball. 

We are never going to know if there was a shout - or maybe Carter didn't hear it. I don't see how you can say"obviously" in these circumstances. Additionally Carter's clearance was very poor. 

But the point is that Pears wasn't at fault for what happened from the corner - it was one of those messy goals that you hope won't happen at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That is different from the point that you made questioning his commitment by implying that his mind was elsewhere. I don't see how based on his performance today that the conclusion could be that he wasn't giving his all. He seemed visibly frustrated a few times with refereeing decisions and things not quite falling his way.

End product is obviously a different argument altogether. Aside from his assist I thought that Dolan offered the least threat along the front 3 and Szmodics was also wasteful in the final third so it would be unfair to single him out. Brereton did offer a threat although missed a couple of chances. That being said, even this season you cannot say that Brereton is less productive than either of the other 2, still comfortably our top scorer.

Szmodics also had chances in the first half. 

@arbitro Just curious when you reffed how did you calculate added time?

I always envisage that if a player is down injured you see how long it takes and if it’s 3 minutes before play resumed you add 3 minutes on. If another injury is 2 minutes you add another 2 on. But that clearly doesn’t happen in most games and absolutely not today. Was there any science to it, or did you just add on what felt right compared to what was added on in most games at the time? Not a trick question or a whinge, just want to understand the mentality of how the number of added minutes is come to.

Also, we clearly scored bang as the announcement for 5 added minutes was announced. However the ref blows full time about 3 seconds over 5 minutes. As the goal is in injury time surely some time is added on?

This is one of my biggest gripes. Time wasting is clearly beneficial to teams because as  much as refs look at their watch, the amount wasted is rarely added on. The World Cup was actually excellent for combating this.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why Huddersfield didnt get a single yellow card for timewasting?

Does feel like we get nailed with them a lot in comparison. 

That player everyone's joking about leaving the pitch was even slow clapping. 

Absolutely mocking the ref by that point. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Pretty sure I heard Pears shouting it was his ball when we gave that corner away 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Exactly yeah and missed them. Him and Brereton offered a threat but missed chances.

Yes I agree. The entire team created some great chances and opportunities plus controlled the game from minute 1. It was good attacking performance 

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Having seen the ball boy incident for the first time Dolan must surely face some sort of ban.

It was a clear push irrespective of what the lad did. I can imagine if he was your child you'd be a bit pissed off.

And you'd have also raised a shit of a kid. Balls to the kid, balls to his parents. Tried being a smart arse and interfering with a professional game, going against the only thing he is even there (and paid) to do, and got what he deserved.

• Like 2