BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 27/8/23

17 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

You can see why there were those videos a year or so ago of Peterborough United's fans singing that they didn't want him to go.

Absolutely ran his socks off. Last few minutes you could see it. They say you can't win things with kids, But that same group of kids week in week out grow up and the experienced gained  as the games go on. I'm excited to say the least, Leonard I'm excited by, Many would say he struggled, Ref yesterday let the game flow, Leonard was always Infront of his man and on a different day would of won the free kicks. A more experienced striker could help him massively 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Watford Away....A treat for some of our older supporters!

And the memories an 50-year old Video like that triggers off in the brain of this "older supporter"!

* The condition of the pitches on which some of the games we used to watch were played!😲

* The quality of some of the players in Third Division football (and the shortness of their shorts!)

* And the way memory plays tricks on the "older supporter"!

I remember the Watford 'keeper in that game; and saw, about a month ago, that he'd passed away. Which was a surprise to me because I'd have said he was a good ten years younger than me. He was actually just short of a couple of years older than me!

Thanks for posting it, @Leonard Venkhater !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

And the memories an 50-year old Video like that triggers off in the brain of this "older supporter"!

* The condition of the pitches on which some of the games we used to watch were played!😲

* The quality of some of the players in Third Division football (and the shortness of their shorts!)

* And the way memory plays tricks on the "older supporter"!

I remember the Watford 'keeper in that game; and saw, about a month ago, that he'd passed away. Which was a surprise to me because I'd have said he was a good ten years younger than me. He was actually just short of a couple of years older than me!

Thanks for posting it, @Leonard Venkhater !

Andy Rankin, started his career at Everton. Died about a week ago, aged 79

☹️

7 hours ago, rigger said:

I was at that game, I think it was on the League Liner or Ewood Express. 

Yeah me and my Dad were on it as well.

My Dad (who was a professional person) was fairly mortified that we were met by a long line of police officers and police dogs upon getting off the train!

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Or Gallagher as I mentioned on the last page 😉

I would disagree with that, I would say he just does bits and bats to try and create the impression he's doing a lot. That said, yesterday was one of his better showings with them pushing up and leaving themselves light at the back in search of an equaliser.

I think the reaction to the result is a bit OTT myself, it was a terrific 3 points and much needed but I thought  they absolutely battered us and we were extremely fortunate to get the win. If they'd have taken one of their many chances and we hadn't scored with virtually our only sight of goal we'd all have been saying what an atrocious performance it was.

Game of very fine margins sometimes.

Dolan and gallagher really aren’t scapegoated here as some are suggesting, think they have both been given plenty of time and patience by fans but neither are particularly good at the role they have in the team

i have long stuck up for gallagher but he never looks like he knows where to be to score goals, I can’t fault the effort from the lad and he has other uses

dolan is just limited but again he has been given plenty of time to be a regular, he hasn’t nailed it, it’s time to part ways imo 

• Like 1

In Gallagher's last two games he's shown enough to warrant a place, and that's from someone who gave up on him long ago. Maybe the birth of his little one has spurred him on. I've often disagreed with the "he's crap but he works his socks off" tag that he's gained, as to me he only seems to do it when he wants.

Hopefully the effort he's put in recently continues.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I would disagree with that, I would say he just does bits and bats to try and create the impression he's doing a lot. That said, yesterday was one of his better showings with them pushing up and leaving themselves light at the back in search of an equaliser.

I think the reaction to the result is a bit OTT myself, it was a terrific 3 points and much needed but I thought  they absolutely battered us and we were extremely fortunate to get the win. If they'd have taken one of their many chances and we hadn't scored with virtually our only sight of goal we'd all have been saying what an atrocious performance it was.

Game of very fine margins sometimes.

That was the gameplan though, as JDT confirmed after the match.

We allowed them to have possession and chances, being confident that our backline could handle it - which they evidently could.

Szmodics should score when 1-on-1 in the first half, Moran had a good chance to score in the second and we had a few other chances on the break also.
Very good away performance and we'll play like this again many times this season, particularly away to the stronger teams.

I think the result and performance deserves all of the credit it gets.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Andy said:

That was the game plan though, as JDT confirmed after the match.

We allowed them to have possession and chances, being confident that our backline could handle it - which they evidently could.

Szmodics should score when 1-on-1 in the first half, Moran had a good chance to score in the second and we had a few other chances on the break also.
Very good away performance and we'll play like this again many times this season, particularly away to the stronger teams.

I think the result and performance deserves all of the credit it gets.

Did the game plan pre match include Watford hitting the crossbar with the keeper a spectator and then hitting a post later on.

No is the answer.

It's a game of fine margins and we got the luck on the day.

Note that  nowhere have I said that we didn't defend well and also have chances of our own.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 28/08/2023 at 13:13, Sweaty Gussets said:

Weird seeing our lot sing YNWA! It seems nearly every club sung it back then. 

I know a few names from that era but never seen them play. I liked our LW. 

edit: my old man goes on about Tony Field (and Waggy). That was a sublime chip by Field. 

I saw Tony Field play for 4 different clubs. I used to watch Southport play in the old 4th Division regularly on a Friday night with mates from school, and he stood out head and shoulders at that level. Than at Rovers. Then I went to university and watched him at Sheffield United. Finally my now wife and I went to see he brother in New York 8n the late 70s and saw him play for New York Cosmos. Pele was a team mate although I can’t remember whether he was playing in the game I saw.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

I saw Tony Field play for 4 different clubs. I used to watch Southport play in the old 4th Division regularly on a Friday night with mates from school, and he stood out head and shoulders at that level. Than at Rovers. Then I went to university and watched him at Sheffield United. Finally my now wife and I went to see he brother in New York 8n the late 70s and saw him play for New York Cosmos. Pele was a team mate although I can’t remember whether he was playing in the game I saw.

You’d know if Pele was playing.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’d know if Pele was playing.

I certainly remember seeing him play for Santos in a friendly against Sheffield Wednesday in the mid 70s. It was during the 3 day week and the game was played on a Wednesday afternoon - the ground was still full.

On 28/08/2023 at 12:56, lraC said:

I see what you mean. No idea why, perhaps there is some connection to the armed forces in his family, or some other meaning.

It remind me a bit of what Patrick McNee’s character did the the avengers. 

Steed.

• Like 1