BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well, the likes of Waggott and Broughton (and Mowbray before them) are or were only interested in feathering their own nests and doing the bare minimum to keep the gravy train rolling on as long as possible.

Why do the owners let them get away with it? Probably because they can afford it and don't care enough and can't be arsed to put more effort in to try and change things and make us successful.

Broughton and Mowbray in particular would have both benefitted significantly financially and in terms of their CVs with promotion. 

• Like 1

Firstly, I think we learnt several different things from the interview. 

The interview was done cos it was EFL youth development week. 

The failure/blame for the McGuire transfer isn't his fault and it was admin error and we all know who is to blame and in my opinion that 2 people should have been sack for that already. He doesn't have the authority to do the transfer paperwork side. 

He made it clear that Hyam and Szmodics weren't targets or on shortlists before he arrived at the club which contradictor what Waggott has said previously to someone on here. 

He has made his recommendations what Rovers should do with the Wharton's money which I agree with his plan. Use some of transfers in the summer, keep investing in the academy, etc. plus use some of it towards the season debt also which he didn't say but gave 4 clubs as example how they did it when received huge transfer fees and how they spent it. 

He also gave the board 3 head coaches to replace JDT with and it was the board decision who they appointed. 

He has direct contact with the owners but mostly he goes through Pasha and the board of directors. 

Also said he that Venkys problems in India won't affect Rovers summer spending plans. 

Finally, it puts to bed people saying he is gardening leave or set to be sack cos clearly he isn't. 

That’s just it it’s an ideology as tomphil says. There is no concrete plan and no one is working in unison. It reminds me of when I tell my wife how I’m going to get a six pack for summer then order an Indian and have 8 cans of Stella four hours later 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Well, given the interview wasn’t via the club’s own media department, if Broughton has gone off on one without authority he will soon be working elsewhere.

The reason for the interview was about EFL development week as it said at the start of the interview. So he hasn't gone rogue 

23 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We have indeed learnt several things...

The Club is run like a dysfunctional Circus with chancers taking massive remuneration for sweet FA.

I think we already knew this.

They are all a bunch of dickheads who should be nowhere near the club, other than to clean the bogs.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Broughton and Mowbray in particular would have both benefitted significantly financially and in terms of their CVs with promotion. 

There was no push from TM he was comfortable placating the owners or indeed behind placated himself, lets not forget where he was before he came here.

Can't say i blame him but most managers or coaches of a certain age in a certain phase of their lives would swap the stress of pushing for promotion for a gentle midtable 'next year might be our year' jog.

He'd likely financially benefit just the same plodding along for 2 years as he would a quick promotion then a pay off it's not like he was earning Allardyce type money.

And i'm not saying he didn't try for promotion on purpose i doubt that was the case at first, more like he took a good look around and arranged his deckchair accordingly.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, den said:

hat’s a plan? It’s a plan for disaster IMO. It’s a defeatist plan. It’s a plan based on just HOPING some of the youngsters come through. If they don’t come through, what then?

we`ll be ***** basically,the cupid stunts upstairs don`t realise that in some years the academy won`t be producing anyone of sufficient quality to put in the 1st team or sell on,you can`t produce an adam wharton or hayden carter every season,even  man utd,arsenal  and liverpool can`t do it

what we will get are cheap players that ar`nt good enough and loans of poor quality,just one look at telalovic is a view into the future,a player signed for buttons who is`nt good enough,you`ve got to have a fantastic scouting network to find cheap players who are up to it,we certainly don`t qualify on that one

• Like 3

Again Waggot and Suhail are first in line for the blame of those players walking away and lack of ambition as well as wages played a part you can be sure.

Broughton highlighted when asked about the Wharton money that one of the options is use it to boost the wage bill for a spell and allow us to compete for better players.  That was done in the past though so it'll be a non starter now i'd imagine.

Besides it's unlikely there'll be any money unless they stick more in in summer so a pointless debate but in the rare chance there is it'll 2 loans, a freebie and a 500k punt from Crewe or somewhere again.

That's the model.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The reason for the interview was about EFL development week as it said at the start of the interview. So he hasn't gone rogue 

That’s as maybe, but he didn’t just talk about EFL development.

Still wouldn’t surprise me if he left in the Summer, one way or another.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, den said:

Running a small squad intentionally in order to allow for youth development? 

I remember when I was lucky enough to meet with John Williams. He met many fans on a one to one basis at that time. It was after Jack Walker had died, while we were still in the PL but owned by the Walker trustees.

He explained that finances were much tighter and that the wage budget had been reduced. He said there were two options open to him. Either run a larger squad which would have been with a likely reduced player quality, or run a smaller squad that allowed him to potentially bring better quality players in. He had opted for the smaller squad because he believed without top players the club would struggle. I thought he’d made the right decision. No mention of Academy players at all.

Compare that with the way the club is currently going. “Intentionally” going with a smaller squad - not with the intention of bringing in better players. It’s very, very obvious we aren’t bringing in better players. We’re either selling them, or watching them walk away for nothing. Academy players would make the first team in a championship side anyway, if they were good enough. We’ve seen it happening now for lots of years. 

That’s a plan? It’s a plan for disaster IMO. It’s a defeatist plan. It’s a plan based on just HOPING some of the youngsters come through. If they don’t come through, what then?

Relegation, and at this rate it's coming soon. If not this season then most likely next. 

29 minutes ago, martonrover said:

That’s as maybe, but he didn’t just talk about EFL development.

It us EFL development week. Ends today. 

He spoke about our academy and the pathway for them here at Rovers 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It us EFL development week. Ends today. 

He spoke about our academy and the pathway for them here at Rovers 

I’m not debating that. I’m saying he also spoke about things  which have nothing to do with the academy.

I wonder if its a case of the club refusing to release something official or them agreeing to use a third party who will not ask the pressing questions, for example whether we genuinely will try again for McGuire.

Either way, it further opens our eyes to the clear lack of people working together and the lack of autonomy below the owners. Plenty of uncertainty as to mere suggestions as to what happens next. Just a mess as we all knew.

has`t gregg just signed his own p45,looking at his comments and how the playing staff are  modelled,he`s no longer required because there is`nt any need for a "football director",shut the door on your way out will you,afc darwen are looking for a gopher to make the half time brew,thats more on your ability scale

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We have indeed learnt several things...

The Club is run like a dysfunctional Circus with chancers taking massive remuneration for sweet FA.

Also that Elliott Jackson and the LT are the last to know anything, reporting it in the LT as if it a scoop 🙈

• Like 2

One thing that is interesting, off the back of this interview, is that it shows fans are deliberately being directly lied to.

Whether it's the SS/Hyam/JDT bits or some other things, either Broughton or Waggott have openly been lying to the fans.

And I know where my money is, between the two.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That’s just it it’s an ideology as tomphil says. There is no concrete plan and no one is working in unison. It reminds me of when I tell my wife how I’m going to get a six pack for summer then order an Indian and have 8 cans of Stella four hours later 

Surely how it should work is they get him in and say we want to build a promotion challenging squad with a limited budget and making best use of our academy and player trading.

He then sets out a plan or two and they agree which way to go then he directs it, it's his plan and his project and also on his head.

But no not here he's clearly just another well paid yes man consultant who's realised he doesn't have to take accountability for anything because it's not his fault he's just another link in the chain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, martonrover said:

I think we already knew this.

They are all a bunch of dickheads who should be nowhere near the club, other than to clean the bogs.

I wouldn't trust them to do that. That's a job that requires skills and pride. They have absolutely none of that.

• Like 1