BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

32 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Goal #4 Oears shiuld have an assist for that.  School boy mistake as a keeper your try to mever punch central to the edge of the area, only saw it once but looked to me like he was in space under no pressure, ciuld have caught that I thought.  He has to sit now.

As a keeper, who played at a reasonable level, I was told to catch whenever I could. I rarely punched- if at all ever- because of how vulnerable you leave yourself. How Pears has got to this level is beyond me. He’s absolutely appalling. I’d go as far as saying he’s the worst keeper I’ve seen at Ewood. 

Ben Benson has to take some of the blame though. He’s the set piece lead, and we’re absolutely dire at those too  

Over to Chaddy now, who told me I was wrong about Pears, after the Millwall game, last season. 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We look nailed on for relegation to me, no money (apparently) relatively toothless up front despite 3 today, shipping goals for fun, no bite in midfield and a keeper you can't really rely on.

Not entirely his fault, but the hype surrounding JDT far outweighs his results on the pitch.

Presumably you mean results this season ?

It’s like asking an architect to design a house, then selling the bricks before building starts, but blaming the guy who drew up the plans for not having built the dream house…

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Did you watch today? Scoreline flattered us, Ipswich won at a canter and it will be thier easiest game this season despite the scoreline saying otherwise. We are a soft touch, toothless uptop and no quality squad depth.. Leicester will tear us apart, 4 or 5 goals, screenshot this post 

As my own post says, that’s not how football works through is it? You probably thought Leicester would do similar to us in the FA Cup last season as well no doubt. 
What must Norwich fans be thinking tonight, they just shipped 6 at Plymouth, and we thought we had a bad day there! 
Sure, be disappointed and frustrated about today but tomorrow is another day and next week is a different game. 

PS - teams who are ‘toothless up top” don’t normally score three goals away from home, would you agree?

I don’t think that’s what cost us the game today.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Only caught the last 20mins but played out as expected pre-game.

The ‘We’re gonna score one more than you’ tactics are shit and JDT needs a rethink before we find ourselves in bother.

I think sorting the keeper out goes a long way to addressing our problems. Pears has cost us 3 out of the 4 goals today.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As my own post says, that’s not how football works through is it? You probably thought Leicester would do similar to us in the FA Cup last season as well no doubt. 
What must Norwich fans be thinking tonight, they just shipped 6 at Plymouth, and we thought we had a bad day there! 
Sure, be disappointed and frustrated about today but tomorrow is another day and next week is a different game. 

PS - teams who are ‘toothless up top” don’t normally score three goals away from home, would you agree?

I don’t think that’s what cost us the game today.

We're scoring goals because we're so cavalier, and to play like that you need a better defence and a keeper that doesn't put you at least 2/3-0 down almost single handedly.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The Wharton criticism is well over the top. He has a very specific role which he generally does extremely well. Expecting every pass to split the opposition is unrealistic. He’s the one player who can pick up the ball under pressure and generally keeps us in possession.

I've seen very, very little of that this season. He's slow, lazy and gives the ball away far too often.

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We look nailed on for relegation to me, no money (apparently) relatively toothless up front despite 3 today, shipping goals for fun, no bite in midfield and a keeper you can't really rely on.

Not entirely his fault, but the hype surrounding JDT far outweighs his results on the pitch.

He has a 47% win rate at Rovers, not bad with the cards he's been dealt.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

As a keeper, who played at a reasonable level, I was told to catch whenever I could. I rarely punched- if at all ever- because of how vulnerable you leave yourself. How Pears has got to this level is beyond me. He’s absolutely appalling. I’d go as far as saying he’s the worst keeper I’ve seen at Ewood. 

Ben Benson has to take some of the blame though. He’s the set piece lead, and we’re absolutely dire at those too  

Over to Chaddy now, who told me I was wrong about Pears, after the Millwall game, last season. 

It would be hilarious ... except it's true.

All from a YTS, or similar, non football playing background. He must be cheap, it's the only logical explanation.

Thing is if you are left in situ long enough you may get to look good just because a keeper who has natural talent crosses your path.

• Like 1

Thoughts from walking the dog but I think most have been covered:

1) Time is well overdue on starting with the new GK - 11 goals conceded in 4 games

2) Adam Wharton's value is dwindling playing how we are. We forget his age - he still needs managing and taking out. Unfortunately the ideal replacement is at Sheffield Weds

3) How does Dolan continue to get minutes? Please can we try someone else there - Gilsenan, JRC, Batty, anyone..

4) They can't continue with this brand of football / shape. Reminds me of the period before Christmas (I think) when we got dicked against Burnley & North End. We then went with 3 in the middle and looked a lot better - time to shore up.

5) As much as I like JDT, the blame is starting to land on him. He's the best manager the club has had in years but we're trying to play a style that doesn't suit the players available. Is this to prove a point? I don't think it's sabotage but what is it? Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

6) Linked to 5 - why didn't we go into the game with the same set up and mindset as the Watford game?

We don't have the players to come in to the same positions to change how things are going and for me there's going to need to be a tactical change if we're to pick up points from Leicester and Coventry.

oh one more, need a positve...

7) Bradley Who? Really impressed with how Sammie Szmodics has stepped up this season. Despite the history and sentiment he is showing it was the right decision to not renew BD's expensive contract in the summer

Edited by JamieUK
  • Like 2

One glance at Twitter and you see how far we've fallen. Ipswich fans reassuring us that we'll stay up this season. Yes, Ipswich, a league one side last year, reassuring us that we'll be OK.

They don't have better players than us but they do have a better coach who sets his team up far better than ours does. You're not telling me a team that has Hirst up front has better players than us.

Ipswich have also shown how a new owner can breathe new life into a club very quickly. They were going nowhere as a club and then suddenly transformed by the new owners into premier league contenders in two years. Sadly our owners are going nowhere and they never will unfortunately.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The Wharton criticism is well over the top. He has a very specific role which he generally does extremely well. Expecting every pass to split the opposition is unrealistic. He’s the one player who can pick up the ball under pressure and generally keeps us in possession.

If Wharton is going to play the role you are talking about he needs a third body in there. He is not working hard enough to perform in a two. I don't think anyone is expecting every pass to split the opposition, but too many of his passes are going straight to the other team and putting us under pressure. He is jogging back when our defenders are under pressure. We need someone sitting in front of the back 4 to allow Wharton to have more options with a pass and also to mop up and cover for his lack of workrate.

The problem with 3 in midfield is how to you acommodate Sammy? can he play on the the wing? or do you try and push him forward to play as a striker? not sure either of them are realistic options. We appear to have painted ourselves into a corner and JDT needs to figure this out quickly

• Like 2

It’s all far to open today. We’ll need to score 5 a game to win if we play like this and we don’t have the players to score 5 a game. 

With that said if Dolan puts away his sitter we go up 4-3 and probably get away with robbery 

Edited by yankfan

26 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I think sorting the keeper out goes a long way to addressing our problems. Pears has cost us 3 out of the 4 goals today.

And what if Leo turns out to be no better in this system of play that gives the entire back line the permanent jitters ?

Who do we blame then ?

4 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

Thoughts from walking the dog but I think most have been covered:

1) Time is well overdue on starting with the new GK - 11 goals conceded in 4 games

2) Adam Wharton's value is dwindling playing how we are. We forget his age - he still needs managing and taking out. Unfortunately the ideal replacement is at Sheffield Weds

3) How does Dolan continue to get minutes? Please can we try someone else there - Gilsenan, JRC, Batty, anyone..

4) They can't continue with this brand of football / shape. Reminds me of the period before Christmas (I think) when we got dicked against Burnley & North End. We then went with 3 in the middle and looked a lot better - time to shore up.

5) As much as I like JDT, the blame is starting to land on him. He's the best manager the club has had in years but we're trying to play a style that doesn't suit the players available. Is this to prove a point? I don't think it's sabotage but what is it? Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

6) Linked to 5 - why didn't we go into the game with the same set up and mindset as the Watford game?

We don't have the players to come in to the same positions to change how things are going and for me there's going to need to be a tactical change if we're to pick up points from Leicester and Coventry.

Excellent post 👌

1 minute ago, JamieUK said:

2 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

) Linked to 5 - why didn't we go into the game with the same set up and mindset as the Watford game?

on point two,buckley was hauled off on 55 minutes with  another anon display though  he was playing  in  a wide spot in a 4/3/3,not his best position by far

on point six,i have no idea,you would have to ask jdt for that one

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Avoiding relegation has to be the priority...giving Leo the jersey is a start.

Where is Plan B? Unless(as rigger says)there is another agenda in play.....??

And what a sorry shit situation to be in after last season.

Wharton flatters to decieve for me,dont believe the hype!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194