BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

So is McGuire on a flight or nah? Haha

Yes, but apparently the Rovers club secretary booked him on a flight to Manchester, Alabama by mistake. Don’t worry though,  we are taking the airline to court as we don’t think it’s fully our fault as the website wanted extra information and we feel we have a ‘strong case’

Therefore we are now back shopping in Bundesliga 3 or Serie D or something.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh that's the EFL rules. UEFA's rules for continental competition are different, or they were last time I checked...ie, last edition of FM I played! FM20...it was always quite annoying that I'd be completely compliant in the league but have to drop someone from my European side, which they'd then moan about so sometimes I'd have to sell them.

There was also a rule that your U21 players were free hits in your squad registration in the league, but in European comps they had to have also been at your club for 2 years or else you'd have to use a squad space...and loaning them out stopped them accumulating time at your club. Very annoying when you want to develop a player who isn't ready for your first team yet. The loaning out thing might just be a quirk of the game, but the rest I'm confident reflects the real rules as FM are very very good at that sort of thing. But it may have changed in the last 4 years.

Just loaded up my Journeyman save (currently at Real Murcia CF) cos you've got me curious.

UEFA Europa League is:

• Minimum of 2 goalkeepers in squad
  • Minimum of 4 players trained at club for 3 years between 15th and 21st birthdays (which is why the Phillips transfer was so galling)
  • Minimum of 8 players trained at same nation for 3 years between 15th and 21st birthdays (hence the English player premium)

Looks like the UEFA Champions League has the same rules. 

So we've let him go on the cheap just so we can keep the lights on. They've bought themselves tone, but have they just kicked the can down the road? What happens in twelve months and the taps are still turned off? Sammie gets sold? Who do we have to sell for big bucks after that? JRC?

I don't think we'll go down this year, but I do feel it will be close. Next year however, were fucked right from the off. I think even if the judge decides ok, well take the brakes off. By the time that happens, well have been weakened so much, that we just can't build back. Jon would be mad to stay beyond this summer.

I mean, where does all this end? You have to think there's at least one relegation in the pipeline, and that admin is a CV distinct possibility. Why they've not put the club up for sale is a mystery. Do they really think they can get out of this one, ie get back to pumping in twenty mill a year and going for the best?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, broadsword said:

You know what, I'd completely forgotten he'd only recently (as in, last fucking month) signed a four and a half year extension. End of January and he's gone!

Palace have not even had to try that hard have they? They come back with a few additional ones and we collapse like a Benghazi khazi in a force nine gale.

We must be right up the creek here lads.

I'm absolutely devastated he's gone. And we've not even fought to keep him. It's just so crap.

To be fair he did Rovers a massive favour by signing that contract. Probably doubled the fee we would get. Hats off to you Adam. He could have Lenihan/Rothwell/Breretond us.

That said anyone who thinks we could hold onto him once a premier league club paid serious interest is on another planet. If we went in for any player in league one would you expect them to turn it down? Of course not.

We are, as someone said, in a food chain. Right now we are forced to let players go to Palace. One day - hopefully in the not too distant - Palace will need to sell us their players as we are in the division above.

Its always been like that.

• Like 9

Crystal fucking Palace ffs. Another no mark club who, along with totting ham hotpot, I despise. 

Personally, I'm not to sure this is the right club for Adam. Long way from Lancashire, different culture and lifestyle and far from his brother and family. If he was older by a year or 2 I wouldn't mind. 

Palace have bid for him because of injuries to their midfield and are desperate to get someone in urgent. 

I love the guy and I'm sorry to see him leave but venkys cannot turn down that kind of money. 

However, Adam is by no means the finished article, by a long way. I hope he's coached well down at at Palace as we know he had attitude problems at Brockhall last season which resulted in him being left out of the team. 

I really hope he cracks on and succeeds. I really don't want to see him bevome some sort of luxury player like Eyal Berkovich and ofter left out of the team. 

His languid style doesn't help also. Young lad, lot to learn but if he does learn a great future ahead. 

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, JHRover said:

3 weeks ago we loaned our captain out to a league rival. An inexplicable and unforgivable move that appears only more and more foolish now we are set to lose Adam Wharton to the inevitable PL interest.

If anyone was under any illusions as to just what a desperate financial state these owners (not FFP, covid, Indian government etc) have created at this club that decision illustrates it perfectly.

Of course selling Adam Wharton hurts and I'm sure within a few years as with Raya and Cairney we will be wishing we had held on for more, but fundamentally £20 million is a lot of cash (that should be a game changer to the club) and Palace are a PL club. The move therefore makes sense, it can be justified as much as we can debate and discuss the figures and timings.

The Travis one cannot be because we jumped into it to desperately get his wages off the books, leaving ourselves short on numbers and with no money to reinvest into replacements. 

So yeah, they were always going to jump at the chance to rake in millions, we're in such a state we can't even meet our existing wage obligations and are turfing out the captain to a rival to save cash. 

I don't believe for one minute that Travis went to save his wages, how much is he on, half a million a week? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M_B said:

I don't believe for one minute that Travis went to save his wages, how much is he on, half a million a week? 

Does he have to be on half a million a week for his not being here to save us wages?

7 minutes ago, M_B said:

Tomasson mentioned Travis' wages (admittedly along with other things) when he left and also mentioned Buckley's being back on the payroll.

When Travis went, he specifically said that Ayari was not his replacement. So if we dont sign a central midfielder that is 2 outgoing midfielders unreplaced. 

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Does he have to be on half a million a week for his not being here to save us wages?

Slight exaggeration admittedly, but come on, how much can he possibly be on? 

You don't banish your captain to save his wage, it isn't remotely plausible. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Crystal fucking Palace ffs. Another no mark club who, along with totting ham hotpot, I despise. 

Personally, I'm not to sure this is the right club for Adam. Long way from Lancashire, different culture and lifestyle and far from his brother and family. If he was older by a year or 2 I wouldn't mind. 

Palace have bid for him because of injuries to their midfield and are desperate to get someone in urgent. 

I love the guy and I'm sorry to see him leave but venkys cannot turn down that kind of money. 

However, Adam is by no means the finished article, by a long way. I hope he's coached well down at at Palace as we know he had attitude problems at Brockhall last season which resulted in him being left out of the team. 

I really hope he cracks on and succeeds. I really don't want to see him bevome some sort of luxury player like Eyal Berkovich and ofter left out of the team. 

His languid style doesn't help also. Young lad, lot to learn but if he does learn a great future ahead. 

It is sickening to see Wharton sold now after the club’s bullish and now, apparently, foolish choice to let Brereton, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe all go for nothing. The club presented it as an ambitious gamble (though Lenihan and Nyambe were definitely replaceable and not vital to promotion chances) but now it seems even more clear it was pure mismanagement (whether intentional or not) that they all went.

What is even more worrying is that it’s not obvious there’s anything coming through the youth set-up now. We might be surprised but the reserves and U18s aren’t doing too well. The choice to bring in some young loanees will only temporarily cover up these issues and at a cost.

On Palace, they are about to go through big transitions. Hodgson will surely go soon and their star men, Olise and Eze, will likely be picked off in the summer. They are a talented squad lacking leaders, I feel, so Wharton will possibly lack mentors, as the current squad stands. 

Looking at their squad, their traditional CMs have max of one assist each and Wharton must fancy his chances of challenging likes of Hughes to play. However, Palace need players with authority and determination to really improve and that’s not Wharton’s hallmark at the moment. If he can demonstrate a fighting and winning mentality, he could make a quick impact but I think he needs to mature and needs guidance and I’m not sure if Palace have that right now. 

Edited by riverholmes

3 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Wrong club, wrong place, too far from home IMO. They seem a close knit family - Adam down there on his own could be the making of him but equally it might not work out. Lunnun can  be a lonely place. And he'll come under the TV and media microscope now with that big fee round his neck. He won't be able to hide and sulk like he did sometimes playing for us

It's the thing that grates more and more - rubbish southern former third division clubs such as Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton effing Town, eetc lording it over us and other former top northern clubs. Reflects the economy and the shift of power and wealth to the south east over the past 50 years I suppose. Bastard politicians

• Like 3

I hope GB doesn't spend these last crucial days of the transfer window calling all Premier league clubs begging to loan in warm bodies that can fill out the squad. I also hope we don't gamble on some striker from the german fourth tier or someone who is known to have major injury issues. (Of course those kind of signings are easier to pull off since 1)it's probably cheap  and 2)most clubs at our level would probably not be interested in them)

If we don't see signings that strengthen the starting eleven Wharton shouldn't have been sold in this window.

Edited by Inferi

15 minutes ago, M_B said:

Slight exaggeration admittedly, but come on, how much can he possibly be on? 

You don't banish your captain to save his wage, it isn't remotely plausible. 

Of course it is. Why loan him out? Why loan Buckley out?

The club doesn't have two pennies to rub together and has received threats from HMRC for winding up orders.

You would have thought our supposed billionaire owners would fund the club but I see they've got yet another excuse to not bother with it.

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll weigh in to block another signing of a decent player as he "doesn't fit the model" whatever the fuck that's supposed to be.

• Like 1

Why is everyone so adamant that Wharton was forced out?

I don't think he was actively looking for a move, but I also doubt that he took too much convincing.

Because of the podcast I'm part of, I know that his agent has been very actively promoting him over the past 6 months and things really increased in January.

Could just be described as an agent doing a good job, or it could be that they decided that a move was likely in the next 6-12 months and they needed to raise his profile.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, about this seems bizarre or makes the club look poorly run. I'll judge them on how we use the money now, not for the fact that we sold a 19-year-old for our club record fee. 

Never mind all of these 'to Crystal Palace' comments. How do you think other fans have felt when Blackburn Rovers have stepped in to snap up their talent? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Why is everyone so adamant that Wharton was forced out?

I don't think he was actively looking for a move, but I also doubt that he took too much convincing.

Because of the podcast I'm part of, I know that his agent has been very actively promoting him over the past 6 months and things really increased in January.

Could just be described as an agent doing a good job, or it could be that they decided that a move was likely in the next 6-12 months and they needed to raise his profile.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, about this seems bizarre or makes the club look poorly run. I'll judge them on how we use the money now, not for the fact that we sold a 19-year-old for our club record fee. 

Never mind all of these 'to Crystal Palace' comments. How do you think other fans have felt when Blackburn Rovers have stepped in to snap up their talent? 

They should be honoured that their players have moved to the greatest club in the history of the game.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

I don’t know whether it’s 4 either but I don’t think  we need to be worrying about euro comp rules right now 😁

We played a team on Monday from another country and beat them convincingly. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We won't get any permanent talent from the prem.  Our wage structure is too low.  Unless the 'flex' comes back. 

Exactly the type of player we should be trying to sign if we actually have a little cash. 

Said it before though, nobody comes permanently that's not from league one or below or a European minor league. 

Even with flex we won't sign many Prem players - our top earner is believed to be on around £15k a week. We might even be trying to get this down given the lack of negotiation with Gally. Plenty of Prem youngsters are likely on this or significantly more. 

We did, however, get a player permanently from Erdivisie. I'd say that's a relatively big and certainly not a minor league. 

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Would it have been possible for AW to say he wasn't going to that shower of shit club?

He doesnt have to sign a contract with them or even entertain negotiations. 

5 hours ago, Inferi said:

I expect GB spends these last crucial days of the transfer window calling all Premier league clubs begging to loan in warm bodies that can fill out the squad. I also hope we don't gamble on some striker from the german fourth tier or someone who is known to have major injury issues. (Of course those kind of signings are easier to pull off since 1)it's probably cheap  and 2)most clubs at our level would probably not be interested in them)

If we don't see signings that strengthen the starting eleven Wharton shouldn't have been sold in this window.

Changed it

Update on potentially signing a player's mum/family member/fan with the same surname: they've liked a couple of goal highlights from Monday night and someone asking a journo for updates on McGuire's move to Rovers. No owls related likes I can see.