BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 4/10/2023

Could this be the game that suits us and we finally come up against a team that has a bad night in front of goal whilst we gobble up a few chances ?

Trouble is we need to be 3 up at half time to have a chance of coming away with something so i think same team/tactics then same outcome.

Cov  3     Rovers  1

47 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

In our last 5 league games we have conceded 15 goals, lost 4 and won 1. This coincides with Rankin-Costello’s injury and subsequent loss of starting 11 place.

That simply can’t carry on.

I have never known us concede so many, over such a sustained period. 

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

----------------Wahlstedt

Brittain-----Hill-----Hyam----Pickering

-------Travis---Tronstad---Wharton

Moran--------Szmodics-----Sigurdsson

Gotta switch things up a touch. Give Carter a rest and give Hill a shot at staking a claim.

Tronstad seems to be hardly used and I don't know if he's just not good enough but we have limited options. Hoping a holding midfielder might make some difference in stemming the flow of goals we concede, as well as putting 3 in the middle. Let Travis and Wharton do their thing.

Front 3 all have to start.

I would like to see Tronstad get a game. I’m not a great fan of Travis, he is far too inconsistent, and I can’t understand why he plays the more advanced role. I realise he can’t take it on the half turn but what is he ever going to give us further forward, he just doesn’t have the creativity or goals in his locker.

This is probably one of the games where we can outscore the opposition. I have no confidence we'll get a result though.

JDT continues to say we're not too open and that the goals conceded are down to individual errors. Yes, but if you give the opposition 10-15 chances a game and let them run at your defence at will then, of course, there's a much higher chance that defenders are gonna make mistakes or switch off. They're being run ragged all game so there's a huge correlation between the open style of football and defensive errors. 

I fancy us to have a blinder here and win comfortably based on my poor memory and inability to learn from my mistakes 3-2 rovers with a hatful of missed chances for the real blues . A clinical first half hour will see us out of sight 💪

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I would like to see Tronstad get a game. I’m not a great fan of Travis, he is far too inconsistent, and I can’t understand why he plays the more advanced role. I realise he can’t take it on the half turn but what is he ever going to give us further forward, he just doesn’t have the creativity or goals in his locker.

I can't understand how he plays at all, its like all memories have been erased over the summer with him, he was shocking last season.  Exactly same happening again with a couple of the above posts.  Needs replacing.  Our modern day Jason Lowe without the England U21 honours

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Given all his issues since joining, I keep forgetting that Ennis is a Blackburn Rovers player ! His playing career at the club certainly hasn’t started yet !

Everyone moaning that we keep losing but forget to note we are without a big crop of our players. When they are all eventually back in the side the tides will turn.

Agree with op.

Wahlstedt

Hill Hyam Wharton

Brittain Travis Wharton Pickering

Moran Sigurdsson Szmodics

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I could go to this game, but I'm not sure I should. I've never seen us beat Coventry, and that includes the infamous 5-0 loss at Highfield Road, and the game with the 96th minute equaliser when Mowbray was manager.

At least you didn't go to the 0-5 loss at Ewood! 

9 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Everyone moaning that we keep losing but forget to note we are without a big crop of our players. When they are all eventually back in the side the tides will turn.

Agree with op.

Wahlstedt

Hill Hyam Wharton

Brittain Travis Wharton Pickering

Moran Sigurdsson Szmodics

People will naturally moan when their team is getting beat repeatedly, sliding down the table and conceding as many as anyone.

None of the missing players are first team defenders, and I am not convinced its even a "big crop." Ennis is out but seemingly this will be the norm. Aside from that its been the injury prone Gallagher and Hedges.

• Like 4

----------------Wahlstedt

Brittain-----Hill-----Hyam----Pickering

-------Tronstad---------Garrett

---Moran------Wharton---Sigurdsson

----------------Szmodics

This is the team I would go for. Carter has been poor for several weeks now. I also think we need to drastically change the midfield. Garrett and Tronstad defensive minded and protect the back four. Adam Wharton asked to be 100% creative and attacking rather than the back tracking role which he cannot do for some reason. 

Think this and the QPR match are going to be much more difficult than some think.

Not certain we do too well when up against teams that scrap portraying their managers' image and Robins and Ainsworth fall into the scapping category.

Coventry had a confidence boosting win at QPR on Saturday with Simms netting twice.

QPR have gone 9 home games without a win and we all know who's up next down there and what frequently happens when teams are searching for a win or a striker is searching for a goal.

Sadly, I think things are going to go from bad to worse. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

The ingredients don't bode well. Midweek away trips seem to rarely end too well for us, we're in poor form and conceding too many goals. Coventry are very hard to beat. They've only lost twice in narrow away defeats to Leicester and Cardiff, but having said that have only won twice against lowly Middlesbrough and QPR on Saturday.

I expect us to lose this one and sadly we are also due a 'poor' display after positive(ish) efforts against Plymouth, Ipswich and Leicester left us empty handed.

If we can grab 3 points or more from these two away games I'll be satisfied. We need to stop the rot before it advances and that requires a couple of solid if unspectacular away days.

Pivotal few days prior to the international break, couple of decent results and we’ll be in an ok position to re-group from going into some more winnable games at the end of the month .

Alternatively we’ll be looking down the barrel at a season at the wrong end as confidence will begin to drain away, fans will turn and all this ‘best side we’ve seen all season’ will soon stop being heard.

Edited by Mattyblue

26 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think this and the QPR match are going to be much more difficult than some think.

Not certain we do too well when up against teams that scrap portraying their manager's mage and Robins and Ainsworth fall into the scapping category.

Coventry had a confidence boosting win at QPR on Saturday with Simms netting twice.

QPR have gone 9 home games without a win and we all know who's up next down there and what frequently happens when teams are searching for a win or a striker is searching for a goal.

Sadly, I think things are going to go from bad to worse. 

Most seem to be expecting another 'best team we've played' hard luck story at Coventry.

19 hours ago, briansol said:

Pratical questions. Travelling over from Norway to attende the match. Are there any pub supporter are meeting up before the game? 

The Coventry stadium is next to a retail park. There are various restaurants etc in there as well as retail outlets. 
Given the er “warm welcome” the Coventry fans gave Rovers fans outside the ground on my last visit I’d AVOID trying to find a local pub TBH 😳

• Like 1

2-1 Cov. We have a rubbish record there. I think Mark Robins will have them well drilled in Rovers weaknesses that at the moment are far too easy to exploit. Moran with the goal for Rovers.

The team I would go with:

Wahlstedt

Brittain    Hill     Hyam    Pickering

Travis       JRC        Tronstad

Moran     Szmodics     Sigurdsson