BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (a) - 20/02/2024, 19:45

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

We do have the Division's highest scorer.

Yeah and thank god for him or we would be rock bottom already. The last few seasons there always seems to be that one player who steps up through the fog of shite to bag a load of goals.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

There's no doubt Tomasson suffered from injuries, especially Dolan and Gallagher(who some wanted to give away for a million). 

I'm not particularly backing Eustace, or having a go at Tomasson, but we need points, however they come. A decent team tonight would probably have seen us off, but maybe Eustace saw it as a chance to rest 2 or 3 whilst still nicking a point? If that is the case, and it certainly looked that way, it's maybe the Championship nous we've been short of. 

The likes of Vale, Ennis, Leonard and Telalovic make Gally look like Haaland - but he isn’t.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The likes of Vale, Ennis, Leonard and Telalovic make Gally look like Haaland - but he isn’t.

I think Leonard is a better footballer than Gallagher. Let's see where he is in a couple of years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He definitely isn't, very few are, but he's worth a lot more than the £1 million, or even £2 million some wanted to accept. 

37 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Eustace has really arrived into a very difficult situation.  A demoralised team, a bag full of injuries and a disaster of a transfer window.  And the rest..... he was honest about tonight's game, but I'd have taken five points from the last four games.  Let's hope he can get some attacking pattern into the team ASAP.

He looks the sort of manager who could keep us in this division. He won't bring the crowds back and he won't have us vying for promotion. In short  Venkys will love him!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

He looks the sort of manager who could keep us in this division. He won't bring the crowds back and he won't have us vying for promotion. In short  Venkys will love him!

I think, only Waggot is in the position to bring the crowds back, and that is through pricing

• Like 1

Lets just look at the bigger picture.

A week ago we were challenging the bottom 3 not the top 6 but now there's a six point gap and we are heading to midtable and that's what its all about right now.

Excellent point well earned from a disjointed but defensively sound performance and the manager is doing exactly what hes been brought in to do.

Anything else is immaterial right now and get another point or 3 on Saturday however it might come and we might be able to relax a bit and enjoy the Newcastle game.

• Like 7

I lost my internet exactly on the stroke of HT so saw all the first half but none of the 2nd.

From reading on the BBC it would seem that the 2nd half was only a bit better than the appalling half I saw.

Still it's an important point gained in an away game and a clean sheet. It's all about points gained until we're safe.

My high speed internet is still not working so I'm on the wife's crap data but it's pissing me off so it's over and out for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

He definitely isn't, very few are, but he's worth a lot more than the £1 million, or even £2 million some wanted to accept. 

No he isn't, we should have snapped Ipswich's arms off at the elbow.

He's an expensive liability both in terms of the fee paid for him and his wages.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

How much better? A little bit. Imagine where we would be? I'd say about 3-5 points better off.

He made a few saves tonight but I'd say only one was any kind of test.

The problem being that Leo was conceding from shots which shouldn’t really have been any kind of test. Despite not being great himself, Pears is simply a level above Wahlstedt.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The problem being that Leo was conceding from shots which shouldn’t really have been any kind of test. Despite not being great himself, Pears is simply a level above Wahlstedt.

Not sure about that, more that he was failing at shots that were mild tests. Reckon he would probably have made all the saves Pears made tonight.

Pears' abilities are being massively overstated, as are Wahlstedt's shortcomings, mostly by people who vociferously wanted Wahlstedt out the team and don't want to admit the replacement is only a little bit better. Neither keeper is good enough for us at present.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not sure about that, more that he was failing at shots that were mild tests. Reckon he would probably have made all the saves Pears made tonight.

Pears' abilities are being massively overstated, as are Wahlstedt's shortcomings, mostly by people who vociferously wanted Wahlstedt out the team and don't want to admit the replacement is only a little bit better. Neither keeper is good enough for us at present.

It's more a case that the people who wanted Pears out of the team in the first place, aren't having him under any circumstances and  won't accept that as ordinary as he is he's still a considerable upgrade on woeful Wahlstedt.

Can't see that Pears has done a great deal wrong since coming back in. Wahlstedt was costing us a minimum of one and often two goals every game. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, M_B said:

He’s a free transfer in 14 months. Why sign an extension now, when he can get more next summer. Another player waking for free 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's more a case that the people who wanted Pears out of the team in the first place, aren't having him under any circumstances and  won't accept that as ordinary as he is he's still a considerable upgrade on woeful Wahlstedt.

Can't see that Pears has done a great deal wrong since coming back in. Wahlstedt was costing us a minimum of one and often two goals every game. 

Leo Our most expensive signing under GB?  

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wouldn't be saying he was a slightly better keeper if I 'wasn't having him'. But he really isn't that great, nor that much of an upgrade. He's simply in better form than Leo was, and better form than he himself was before injury where Wahlstedt actually looked an upgrade for a short while as Pears had been shakey. We've also become more concerned about defending lately and leaving the keeper less exposed.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Lets just look at the bigger picture.

A week ago we were challenging the bottom 3 not the top 6 but now there's a six point gap and we are heading to midtable and that's what its all about right now.

Excellent point well earned from a disjointed but defensively sound performance and the manager is doing exactly what hes been brought in to do.

Anything else is immaterial right now and get another point or 3 on Saturday however it might come and we might be able to relax a bit and enjoy the Newcastle game.

Eh? 1 week ago there was a 7 point gap (now worse at 6) AND we had a game in hand, so not sure how you’ve spun a positive there. We’ve move up 1 place in the league, thanks to Plymouth, but that paragraph is borderline delusional. 
Even if you mean 2 weeks ago, prior to Stoke, we’ve only increased the gap by 1 point, in the meantime all whilst playing 2 teams below us, and 1 practically level with us.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 6

I got lucky and joined it 10 minutes before Buckley came on.

What a massive difference the subs made. Bucko is no Adam Wharton (who is?) but he looked class in that company last night. Excellent discipline at the back especially getting all those offsides with such doolally officials.

In the final analysis, PNE created one moment of madness in our box and forced the ball home. We created one moment of mayhem in the Cardiff box and didn't.

I would be far more worried as a Cardiff supporter looking at their players than I am as a Rovers supporter looking at our's. 

A terrible offensive performance but nevertheless a first clean sheet since November and a point on the road are huge positives. As are 5pts in 4 games since the managerial change vs 5pts in the previous 11.

If Dolan pops that chance away and we win  1-0 then it’s a peak Allardyce style win. But the more I watch JE, the more I get Hughes vibes. Hughes focused initially on being hard to beat, creating a togetherness ‘us against the world’ and deploying a pragmatic approach. Then once the base was set, added those attacking patterns and suddenly you have a very capable team.

For as long as the lads are behind him, JE has the chance to turn the ship around. I said a week ago that I didn’t expect to see a Eustace style team until we were safe and most likely not until next season. I stand by that…

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's a star man playing with an almost free role as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1. You've seen the last few matches that he struggles playing in a front 3. I don't think many teams are going to play him with a big CF up top either. 

I don't think there's quite enough to his game to attract PL interest, so I can't see him leaving.

Agree. Szmodic isn't going to get a move to the prem.  Another case if a player being good in the champ but not having the game for the Prem.  His age would also go against him. 

The outlier may be Luton uf they stay up. 

Unlikely that any current champ clubs would buy him as he'd be expensive at this level and financial climate. 

He would be a good summer signing for a relegated side however - relatively low wages and likely to score a few. That's the only way he leaves I think.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 47er said:

But he won't 'add value' to the squad with these type of performances - which is the biggest remit of the job apparently. 

45 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He'll have a tough job justifying anything more than £250 to watch this dross.  

If we keep playing in this manner he’d have to pay me £250 to get a season ticket - and even then I’d think twice!!

• Like 2

I don’t know who can get the message through to Waggot and co but they are looking at a total decimation of the season ticket holder base this summer.

The performances on the field and the clown show off it have pushed me and plenty others away for next season.

No matter how good an earl my bird offer goes out there is no way I’m even considering getting one until it’s clear there will be some reinvestment in the squad.

• Like 4