BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (a) - 20/02/2024, 19:45

Cardiff away this time round and the lovely people at the football league have once again given so much consideration for the fans and made this a midweek game.

What will be served up for us this time round?

Will we actually try and play football or will we just boot the ball as far up the pitch as possible.

Venkys out.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Cardiff away this time round and the lovely people at the football league have once again given so much consideration for the fans and made this a midweek game.

What will be served up for us this time round?

Will we actually try and play football or will we just boot the ball as far up the pitch as possible.

Venkys out.

To be fair this should have been played on January 27th but our involvement in the FA Cup that weekend meant it had to be out back.

Another tough match in the offing but with Cardiff in worse form than us and conceding goals it's a difficult one to call. I don't think it will be one for the purists and I expect it to be a game of attrition with perhaps one goal either way. With in form Norwich at home next Saturday a win would put us in a decent position going in to that. A loss and the pressure could be back on.

• Like 5

There'll be some tired legs after yesterday on that absolute joke of a pitch especially, just what we needed a long trek to Cardiff.

In an ideal world there'd be a few changes to rest players, but that's not really a luxury we have with this squad.

Cardiff have us, Stoke and Huddersfield in their next 3 home games and will want to win a few to avoid slipping into the relegation fight we find ourselves in.

I can see it being an absolute pig of a game, 1-1.

Draws aren't much use to us in our predicament, we need to get the balance right between making us harder to beat (signs of that yesterday) and still showing attacking intent. When you haven't kept a clean sheet for an eternity, it's pretty obvious we ain't picking up many 1 or 2 nil wins.

• K-Hod pinned this topic
  • Herbie6590 changed the title to v Cardiff (a) - 20/02/2024, 19:45

Hedges and probably gally need a rest in the short term if we want them for the course of the season. Or we use them now and likely lose one or both for a few games... Any news on JRC?

We will struggle with games as we have such a weak squad. Why not bring in gilsenan in

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Hedges and probably gally need a rest in the short term if we want them for the course of the season. Or we use them now and likely lose one or both for a few games... Any news on JRC?

We will struggle with games as we have such a weak squad. Why not bring in gilsenan in

Because Gilsenan is not good enough yet.

Edited by rigger

I hope we focus on putting out our best XI to try and win this one rather than resting people with one eye on the Norwich game. Beating Cardiff is the priority, none of this 'positive result' nonsense, just need the 3 points at a struggling side. Having said that a draw would at least keep us going and adding to the tally with our game in hand.

We've had it before where previous managers have left people out for the Saturday and then we've ended up not winning either.

I always worry about these sort of games. On paper a decent fixture and chance to get a much needed win, but in practice our record in South Wales weary and think our record generally in Tuesday night away games is dismal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I hope we focus on putting out our best XI to try and win this one rather than resting people with one eye on the Norwich game. Beating Cardiff is the priority, none of this 'positive result' nonsense, just need the 3 points at a struggling side. Having said that a draw would at least keep us going and adding to the tally with our game in hand.

We've had it before where previous managers have left people out for the Saturday and then we've ended up not winning either.

I always worry about these sort of games. On paper a decent fixture and chance to get a much needed win, but in practice our record in South Wales weary and think our record generally in Tuesday night away games is dismal. 

I would go with, play our best available side, get points in the bag. Don't pre-empt what may, or may not happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Both play MF..its not an area where we have a lot of options. 

You suggest we keep Garett in the team?

Before Gilsenan, yes. I would say more for the squad than in the team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Glisenan is wide player/number 10 not a centre midfielder like Garrett is. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/february/18/injury-update--john-fleck/

An injury update on Fleck. Eustace is saying it's a kick on the calf so hopefully once the bruising comes out he will be fine. I must admit I thought it was his knee at the time and that it looked quite serious.

Add Fleck's name to JRC's for "Guess the injury" bingo.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I think the shallowness and lack of quality in our squad is going to be increasingly evident as we enter a hectic few weeks. 

Sadly, we have too many players who easily pick up injuries and are out for weeks at a time.  IMO, our medical/fitness department needs radically reviewing because based on results (keeping players fit and injury free and quick recovery times when injured), it does not seem fit for purpose. 

Cardiff will see this as a great opportunity to get back on track (as all teams / strikers seem to against Rovers when looking to turn the corner with a win / goal).

Cardiff to win by at least 2 clear goals with the Stoke win proving a false dawn - very difficult times to come. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Cardiff to win by at least 2 clear goals with the Stoke win proving a false dawn - very difficult times to come. 

You never learn Mercer. 

Predicted Rovers to lose Preston and guess what we didn't. Another loss for the Mercer's betting account. 

• Like 3

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Cardiff City (a) - 20/02/2024, 19:45

I think weve struggled to make the 343 work last two games, we get absolutely slaughtered in central midfield.

Id drop Dolan for another cm, then bring him on for a striker second half. The extra CM should help Hedges and Brittain push on further forward too. I guess will be too early for Buckley so would give Ayeri a go

Pears

Hyam.    McFadz.  Wharton

Brittain.   Tronstad.  Ayeri.   Garrett.  Hedges. 

Gallagher.     Szmodics 

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

Its in this 2 game a week run where the lack of quality in the squad really becomes blatantly clear and hinders any chance to rotate.

Pears obviously continues despite not covering himself in glory for their second and having a shaky game midweek. You would think the back 3 will continue for the forseeable, O'Riordan is the alternative with Koumetio seemingly a waste of time. 

Neither wing back is particularly strong defensively but only the iffy Chrisene is an alternative. The midfield is the main concern, Tronstad is a given but his form has tailed off since Wharton left. Garrett isnt good enough and Ayari is probably the only alternative with Fleck already injured and Buckley not yet fit himself. 

In attack, Gallagher and Szmodics are obvious picks but the worry is potentially running them into the ground, especially the former with his fitness issues. Dolan has been ineffective in the last 2 but has to play because we have absolutely no options to rotate or affect games from the bench. Sigurdsson and Moran have not been successful signings and are too soft, Leonard isnt ready and Markanday and especially Telalovic are nowhere near.

I would probably reluctantly just make one change, Ayari for Fleck.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its in this 2 game a week run where the lack of quality in the squad really becomes blatantly clear and hinders any chance to rotate.

Pears obviously continues despite not covering himself in glory for their second and having a shaky game midweek. You would think the back 3 will continue for the forseeable, O'Riordan is the alternative with Koumetio seemingly a waste of time. 

Neither wing back is particularly strong defensively but only the iffy Chrisene is an alternative. The midfield is the main concern, Tronstad is a given but his form has tailed off since Wharton left. Garrett isnt good enough and Ayari is probably the only alternative with Fleck already injured and Buckley not yet fit himself. 

In attack, Gallagher and Szmodics are obvious picks but the worry is potentially running them into the ground, especially the former with his fitness issues. Dolan has been ineffective in the last 2 but has to play because we have absolutely no options to rotate or affect games from the bench. Sigurdsson and Moran have not been successful signings and are too soft, Leonard isnt ready and Markanday and especially Telalovic are nowhere near.

I would probably reluctantly just make one change, Ayari for Fleck.

So that was 5 paragraphs to say "I'd probably bring Ayari in for the injured Fleck on Tuesday" with the rest just being digs at our players?

I love Rovers fans. 

• Like 3