BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 21/04/2024

He knows he can come out with any old tripe, he’s brazen because he’s bulletproof and he knows it. He can feather that nest for as long as he wants.

I can think of many adjectives for Swag, none of them positive character traits, and though he obviously isn’t exactly cerebral, he’s a canny operator, the way he’s manoeuvred behind the scenes this season is proof of that. 

The thick ones are these owners that continue to let such chancers take the piss. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

One of the caveats around the cheaper season tickets was that the income from filling the Darwen End with away fans four or five times a season would offset the losses from the cheaper prices we paid. It worked really well and the initiative served two purposes. I really don't buy the argument about having lots of away fans and giving our opponents some kind of advantage. I'm sure it works the other way whereby any player worth his salt would want to play in a real atmospheric surrounding irrespective of where the noise comes from. 

Worked for us at Leeds?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He knows he can come out with any old tripe, he’s brazen because he’s bulletproof and he knows it. He can feather that nest for as long as he wants.

I can think of many adjectives for Swag, none of them positive character traits, and though he obviously isn’t exactly cerebral, he’s a canny operator, the way he’s manoeuvred behind the scenes this season is proof of that. 

The thick ones are these owners that continue to let such chancers take the piss. 

He's certainly a sly operator and has a move or two up his sleeve.

He just isn't that bright, his moves are so transparent you'd have to be a bit simple to be fooled by them.

As you say the problem is the ones that employ him, they clearly are wanting in the grey matter department.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You speak as if asking for a home win is me being needlessly pedantic.

Any win will do. We are playing 2nd bottom at home, the important thing is to win a very winnable game and seal survival. But its Eustace's 7th go at winning at Ewood, forget the must not lose stuff, lets actually win a game at home. 

Wednesday maybe 2nd bottom, but their current form isn't and they are fighting relegation very hard.

As for what happens now being an indicator for next season, Barnsley got to the Play Offs a few seasons ago, then got relegated the following season.

What happens in terms of player loss and recruitment will shape next season.

Yes, we obviously want to win, but a draw will suffice for the bigger picture.

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday have only scored 36 goals this season (only 12 away from home) which is the second lowest in the Championship and their last six matches have yielded six points. As a team they have only scored 12 more goals than Szmodics. The only statistic in which they better us is goals conceded and the difference there is only four. They will come full of commitment and fight. If we match that I expect a comfortable win. As ever the first goal will be huge.

• Like 1

If we had enough fans to fill the Darwen End then there’d be no conversation about giving teams the full stand. We’re desperate for the cash and are usually only able to partly fill the home ends. I’m well aware of the underlying causes which include ticket prices and catchment areas but that doesn’t change the reality going into Sunday. If we want to be more financially self sufficient then we have to maximise every opportunity to generate income.

• Like 1

Of course, yes, most on here know why this club gives generally bigger away allocations than any other club.

However, to be fair to tomphil et al, they are talking about a restricted following for this specific game, I.e a relegation six pointer where a good result has us safe, a poor one drags us back into it, so why give any further boost to the rival? (Yes, it’s a debate as to whether a full Darwen End does boost the opposition, but that is their rationale). A few extra grand on Sunday or lose millions with a L1 relegation?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Hopefully we can have 20.000 plus Rovers fans at Ewood on saturday making good voice against 7000 Sheffield fans.

It's on Sunday, early kick off, live tv so no them days are long gone.

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, yes, most on here know why this club gives generally bigger away allocations than any other club.

However, to be fair to tomphil et al, they are talking about a restricted following for this specific game, I.e a relegation six pointer where a good result has us safe, a poor one drags us back into it, so why give any further boost to the rival? (Yes, it’s a debate as to whether a full Darwen End does boost the opposition, but that is their rationale). A few extra grand on Sunday or lose millions with a L1 relegation?

Exactly.

If it was a dead rubber or earlier in the season no problem but offering any kind of incentive or advantage to the opposition in such a game is plain stupid.  Although the game isn't as knife edge for us as it was looking a week or so ago that wouldn't make any difference these idiots would do it if we were second bottom.

Waggot = exceed income target = bonus.

#### the team.

Of course i'm reading plenty of 'oh if our fans turned up' etc and as usual that's a clueless load of horse dung as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neophox said:

If we can win this game I think it will be enough to stay up.

I think the 49 we already have might just be enough, but I'd rather not have to find out.

• Like 1

Just on Sheff Wednesday, the word from South Yorkshire is they're playing much better than results would suggest and certainly won't be a push over. They firmly believe the Championship gods are against them and they're already doomed, but I've cheered them up by telling them how bad we are, which the result at Hillsborough earlier in the season confirmed. 

Both clubs are run by bonkers owners, Chansiri has sacked every football person at the club, they have no board, no structure and he makes all the decisions! He is refusing to buy any players until the fans show him more respect, What could possibly go wrong......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dejphon-chansiri-slams-sheffield-wednesday-31059209

Rovers 2 Sheff Weds 0 

Edited by Gav

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Sheffield Wednesday have only scored 36 goals this season (only 12 away from home) which is the second lowest in the Championship and their last six matches have yielded six points. As a team they have only scored 12 more goals than Szmodics. The only statistic in which they better us is goals conceded and the difference there is only four. They will come full of commitment and fight. If we match that I expect a comfortable win. As ever the first goal will be huge.

Sadly in our season the word comfortable is not one I would associate with a a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. This lot have been unlucky and the new manager has given them hope. And they are fighters. I hope Leeds or Sunderland  Rovers turn up not Bristol City Rovers. 

I think it may be 1-1. And we might end up happy with that after a close shave. 

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Sadly in our season the word comfortable is not one I would associate with a a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. This lot have been unlucky and the new manager has given them hope. And they are fighters. I hope Leeds or Sunderland  Rovers turn up not Bristol City Rovers. 

I think it may be 1-1. And we might end up happy with that after a close shave. 

Nothing can be taken for granted in the Championship and to do so would be folly. Take the Bristol aberration out of it and we have only conceded 10 goals in thirteen games whereas they struggle in front of goal. As I said the first goal will be vital. In truth they need to win more than we do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, martonrover said:

Wednesday maybe 2nd bottom, but their current form isn't and they are fighting relegation very hard.

As for what happens now being an indicator for next season, Barnsley got to the Play Offs a few seasons ago, then got relegated the following season.

What happens in terms of player loss and recruitment will shape next season.

Yes, we obviously want to win, but a draw will suffice for the bigger picture.

100% agree, they have nothing to lose sheff weds, and they simply wont go away, they have a feel of the great escape about them. I fear the worst even after Saturdays heroics. We haven't proven to do heroics consecutively. Id snap hands off for a draw right now. Going to be a nervy saturday i feel. Hope im wrong though and that our confidence sweeps them away, but head says no. 
Each transfer window seems to be massive for us as a club atm, feels like we are constantly hanging by a thread all the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

100% agree, they have nothing to lose sheff weds, and they simply wont go away, they have a feel of the great escape about them. I fear the worst even after Saturdays heroics. We haven't proven to do heroics consecutively. Id snap hands off for a draw right now. Going to be a nervy saturday i feel. Hope im wrong though and that our confidence sweeps them away, but head says no. 
Each transfer window seems to be massive for us as a club atm, feels like we are constantly hanging by a thread all the time. 

It will be a nervy Saturday watching the other results come in and then over to us on Sunday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruggles1995 said:

Indeed, and we now have Mr Broughton suddenly finding his voice and covering his backside with the supporters by saying (reading between the lines) I've done my bit and told the board / owners they need to invest.

Will they listen / will such investment actually be possible ? Probably not.