BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, rog of the rovers said:

1 against Bournemouth away

2 at home to Reading

3/14 league goals

Interestingly, we’ve played 10/11 teams above us, only missing Stoke, who we play away on Saturday. 

Thanks for looking it up. 

When your main striker has a hit rate against better teams one-third that of against lesser teams, we clearly aren’t going to be promotion material.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

If Lenihan isn't up to it, making mistakes or playing poorly it is the job of the manager to drop or replace him. Yet he's straight back in after suspension suggesting the manager is happy with him.

Lenihan is our best defender,even if he's a bit of a neanderthal.   What he needs is quality beside him, Del and Carthorse aren't the answer.

Mowbray needs to spend on a decent "in his prime" centre back with a left foot and he needs to clear out the old tired legs around Holtby (Tybull/Johnson/Downing) and give him a proper centre midfielder to give him and Joe the platform to create.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Lenihan is our best defender,even if he's a bit of a neanderthal.   What he needs is quality beside him, Del and Carthorse aren't the answer.

Mowbray needs to spend on a decent "in his prime" centre back with a left foot and he needs to clear out the old tired legs around Holtby (Tybull/Johnson/Downing) and give him a proper centre midfielder to give him and Joe the platform to create.

There's a young lad in East Lancashire called Travis who might fit the bill 🤔 

Regarding Lenihan - defensively he does ok - but for an ex-midfield player, his distribution can be woeful at times - mainly because he tries to be over ambitious (TM should be taking him to one side, at the end of the day he is no Tosin when it comes to distribution). It is often this that leads to goals or rash challenges as he tries to atone for his mistake.

Interesting that Williams gets stick for the first goal - but nobody mentions Kaminski for being beaten at his near post. IMO you just have to recognise the forwards skill. I seem to remember Garner scoring a few goals like that (though my memory is hazy) was his goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup not similar?

• Like 1

The question is though is Lenihen actually good enough or competent enough over a season to build a promotion push on ?

Add in is Williams also ?   Because this is what we keep coming back to, both have played big parts in previous seasons. In a defense that continues to never really improve.

If you want to improve you have to make big decisions and sometimes that means trying to get better than anyone who isn't really good. No position should be immune to improvement. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The question is though is Lenihen actually good enough or competent enough over a season to build a promotion push on ?

Add in is Williams also ?   Because this is what we keep coming back to, both have played big parts in previous seasons. In a defense that continues to never really improve.

If you want to improve you have to make big decisions and sometimes that means trying to get better than anyone who isn't really good. No position should be immune to improvement. 

Especially the managers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Not surprising though - we're only 5 games off the half way point of the season.

Yes, that is a good point. Perhaps a clearer indication of our trajectory for the season might be visible after the next 5 games, when we hit mid-season. If we continue to be mid-table, then barring any miraculous upturn in fortunes, that is more than likely where we will end up. If, after these next 5 games, we are in or very close to the top 6 berths, then perhaps there may be more cause for optimism, although TM does appear to be feast or famine (mainly famine these past 3 plus years).

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Good question. I would say with the right people around him Lenihen is definitely a yes, Williams a no. Look at how Lenihen did with Tosin - each one clearly had their own role at centre back and the partnership worked well. Get the right partner and we have two good players. 

Williams is ok. A few good games, a few bad ones too, and with fitness issues to boot not really enough to be warranting a place in the squad. Would definitely looking for someone a tad more consistent on both injury and form front. 

It's a bit of a moot debate though as we never spend on the defence. 

• Like 1

I think to be serious we need 4 proper center halves with the first choice 2 being good ones.  That might see imo Lenihen as no 3 but all this Williams etc is good back up is precisely why we keep struggling.

Not singling him out but he always ends up playing a key role yet in truth he isn't good and neither is Darragh. They are just 'alright' and that's the whole problem at Ewood, just alright will do.

Well sadly it won't if you want promotion, there are key areas need genuine improvement. The center back berths are 2 of those but we keep making do where we can. Ayala should prove to be an upgrade but he's another we'll struggle to get a big run of games from probably so we are back to relying on the back up.

Just look at the difference a good keeper has made, i'd wager good defenders would have another significant impact on it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Good question. I would say with the right people around him Lenihen is definitely a yes, Williams a no. Look at how Lenihen did with Tosin - each one clearly had their own role at centre back and the partnership worked well. Get the right partner and we have two good players. 

Williams is ok. A few good games, a few bad ones too, and with fitness issues to boot not really enough to be warranting a place in the squad. Would definitely looking for someone a tad more consistent on both injury and form front. 

It's a bit of a moot debate though as we never spend on the defence. 

And yet they still conceded loads of goals !

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Although...

With Lenihan and Tosin together:

Played 25

Conceded 27

Clean Sheets 8

Win Percentage: 48%

Without Lenihan and Tosin together:

Played 24

Conceded 41

Clean Sheets 4

Win Percentage: 25%

2 hours ago, rigger said:

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pity it wasn't Kaminski with them. Walton made me very nervous

Think BDS gives some of my response. I don't think it helped that Walton was in goal, he was terrible with a lot of goals attributable to his individual errors. There was a fair number of clean sheets and positive reviews of him so I think there are some signs Lenihen can be good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Think BDS gives some of my response. I don't think it helped that Walton was in goal, he was terrible with a lot of goals attributable to his individual errors. There was a fair number of clean sheets and positive reviews of him so I think there are some signs Lenihen can be good enough. 

I think him and Tosin complimented each other. Tosin is a better ball player than Williams. A top athlete too. 

Walton at his worst was a disaster

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Ooh Darragh, love your new hair cut.

Oh Tosin, shurrup!

Lol, going off some of the social media I think that's pretty much what goes on 

I think I may be getting over exposed to Roy Keane with him being on Sky so much, but did you see his absolute disgust at the amount of hugging and jersey swapping that was going on at the end of the Manchester Derby? Hilarious. He found it incompatible with his favourite phrase "trying to win football matches"

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

• Backroom

I’ve always liked Bilic, he’d be a real roll of the dice if someone took a gamble.

Steady mid table with brief play off flirtations with Mowbray or risk it and try and bring in someone more dynamic who could rock the apple cart!