Jump to content
GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

By spending money we don’t have and bringing a likely breach of FFP?

For fans who doubt every move Mowbray makes in the transfer market, it’s funny how many more transfers you want him to make.

 

If it was my money I wouldn't give him another penny.

I think the problem apart from the complete  ineptitude of him Waggott and Venus in the transfer market lies as much in his reluctance to jettison players who need offloading.   

For example, Graham who unsurprisingly has come to the end must be one of our top earners. He should never have been given a new contract in the first place but certainly when it became obvious that we had a major issue with Brereton and Gallagher (BAG) we should have been making arrangements to offload Graham one way or another to free up room on the wage bill and bring in a replacement.

Instead I expect he'll shuffle on until the end of the season contributing next to nothing and maybe even next as wel until his contract expires.

I'd say similar about Evans pre injury and Bennett. Needed offloading but staples in Tone's world.

Then chuck in players that he brings in then chooses  to more or less ignore like Davenport Palmer and Chapman (Not forgetting Brereton) and Gladwin who he handed a contract to because he felt sorry for him  and it's not hard to see how it's difficult to bring players in because the wage bill is bursting to the seams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can get Smallwood, Samuel and Chapman sold/loaned out tomorrow I imagine there'll be a couple of incomings. Have a feeling there might be a really pleasant surprise for some people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J*B said:

The next big sale will be one of Travis, Nyambe, JRC and Buckley. Let’s hope we can use their money wisely in advance to ensure we get promoted the year we sell the asset. 

Its not gonna happen is it?  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J*B said:

Because Mulgrew had the option to return within the deal with Wigan but had to make the decision on the date which he did. 
If Charlie had stayed at Wigan he wouldn’t have been able to move for free between now and the end of the season. MLS and Aus can sign frees anytime and we would love to release him on a free. 
He made the right decision for him, you can’t deny him that.

I literally have never heard of the player having the option to cut the loan deal short before, it's usually an agreement until either Jan 1st or the end of the season binding on all parties with the parent Club having power of recall if a problem arises that can't be sorted out between the Club's.

Beyond amateurish otherwise as you can never know what your real budget for the season is if players can terminate loan deals of their own accord at the drop of a hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Have a feeling there might be a really pleasant surprise for some people. 

Aye, Del, Bell and Ell will be thinking, "nice one, no proper players taking my place"

Groundhog day

Edited by Sparks Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, but we bought him.  You saying we bought him off boro but because they sold him we shouldn't play him?

No you said going by his wiki he has been great anywhere he has been with assists and hat tricks, I was pointing out boro were happy to let him go- don’t think he shone there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just seems a waste of everyone's.time so I'm thinking is he attached to mowbrays agent or something.? Two moves in a year, might be a nice earner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

What an odd thing to say. Did you think I was pretending that was an actual quote? I didn't 'make it up to suit my opinion', I made it up as a bit of a joke and to add emphasis. The entire thing was opinion, I thought that was a bit bleeding obvious to be honest. I'm amazed I've had to explain any of this.

Sorry brucieboy I thought it was an actual quote. 

Thought you was telling an actual story to have a dig at the manager. My bad. 

I'm glad it was just made up to add emphasis to something that didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

'''We're just looking to add some depth.......we're Not looking to replace anyone in our team".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why imo Mowbray needs to be replaced yesterday and why we would never challenge if he was here for a hundred years. He has no interest whatsoever in trying to improve.

Condemned out of his own mouth. How can any owner or Chief Executive read that and think he is the right man for the job?

And as a side note for God's sake don't admit in public you're a poor negotiator, I think we've all sussed that out after three, soon to be four, fairly disastrous transfer windows anyway but by saying that you're just throwing out an open invitation for people to try and mess you about in future.

Ironcally I don't think the problem is what Mowbray thinks it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a valuation and sticking to it, there's no skill in just going back time after time until you end up paying the original asking price, the skill is in assessing what you think the other side will accept and pitching your offer slightly lowerbut close enough to tempt them into doing a deal. Our problem seems to be we have no realistic idea of what players are worth in the current market, put completely unrealistic offers in at the start of each window then wonder why no-one is getting back to us.

And then panic and either miss out or overpay for someone else altogether at the last minute. 

TBH I think the comment wS tongue in cheek if you read the context. Some of the best negotiators deliberately give the impression they are not very good negotiators. 
 

Truth is everyone in our league and much of the premier league is looking for the same thing. A player with enormous potential for a bargain basement price in a very competitive window. 
 

some of the prices clubs have played for players who have been complete flops is extraordinary. Look no further than Man United or West Ham to name a couple. 

Thete is no magic formula. Even the big money merchants with skilled negotiators screw up. 

I will take just outside the play off places with maybe a loan defender for cover to see us through the season. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

236 pages and our usual January transfer window can be summarised by:

 

18EB5CB0-C4DD-4229-B445-BC1D5C4D4ECB.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can’t bring players in because of FFP but if we could can anyone trust Tonebola not to squander it. By his own admission he’s a poor negotiator and for every success like Dack there’s a Bell, nuttall, wittingham, leutwiler, gladwin, chapman, Johnson, Walton, Gallagher and Brereton. 

Stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

If we can get Smallwood, Samuel and Chapman sold/loaned out tomorrow I imagine there'll be a couple of incomings. Have a feeling there might be a really pleasant surprise for some people. 

Have the same feeling 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

'''We're just looking to add some depth.......we're Not looking to replace anyone in our team".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why imo Mowbray needs to be replaced yesterday and why we would never challenge if he was here for a hundred years. He has no interest whatsoever in trying to improve.

Condemned out of his own mouth. How can any owner or Chief Executive read that and think he is the right man for the job?

And as a side note for God's sake don't admit in public you're a poor negotiator, I think we've all sussed that out after three, soon to be four, fairly disastrous transfer windows anyway but by saying that you're just throwing out an open invitation for people to try and mess you about in future.

Ironcally I don't think the problem is what Mowbray thinks it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a valuation and sticking to it, there's no skill in just going back time after time until you end up paying the original asking price, the skill is in assessing what you think the other side will accept and pitching your offer slightly lowerbut close enough to tempt them into doing a deal. Our problem seems to be we have no realistic idea of what players are worth in the current market, put completely unrealistic offers in at the start of each window then wonder why no-one is getting back to us.

And then panic and either miss out or overpay for someone else altogether at the last minute. 

Left back aside, and the Gallagher wing experiment though who in the first team would you be replacing right now? Even then I'd rather JRC get a fair crack and to a lesser extent even Chapman than some short term loanee. Yes there's Walton too at some point but I think we're better scouring Europe from now till the summer for a proper replacement there.

After that you're looking at squad players or depth for injuries because, imo anyway the team that started the last few games is capable of the goal we're wishing to achieve. Ain't nobody loaning us players as back up or it completely defeats the point of a loan.

All the above does mean we're walking an injury tightrope big time though obviously so it's far from ideal! There must be a decent left back out there somewhere that can slot straight in, no idea whom mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

'''We're just looking to add some depth.......we're Not looking to replace anyone in our team".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why imo Mowbray needs to be replaced yesterday and why we would never challenge if he was here for a hundred years. He has no interest whatsoever in trying to improve.

Condemned out of his own mouth. How can any owner or Chief Executive read that and think he is the right man for the job?

And as a side note for God's sake don't admit in public you're a poor negotiator, I think we've all sussed that out after three, soon to be four, fairly disastrous transfer windows anyway but by saying that you're just throwing out an open invitation for people to try and mess you about in future.

Ironcally I don't think the problem is what Mowbray thinks it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a valuation and sticking to it, there's no skill in just going back time after time until you end up paying the original asking price, the skill is in assessing what you think the other side will accept and pitching your offer slightly lowerbut close enough to tempt them into doing a deal. Our problem seems to be we have no realistic idea of what players are worth in the current market, put completely unrealistic offers in at the start of each window then wonder why no-one is getting back to us.

And then panic and either miss out or overpay for someone else altogether at the last minute. 

The guy is utterly untouchable. He knows it, we all know it.

And apathy and excuses reign again: “let’s see what happens in January“ has quickly turned into “but we’ll breach FFP rules” while Mowbray tells us all how difficult he finds this recruitment lark.

By the time Mowbray finally goes this team will need to completely start again. “We just need to get in a couple of players to help the lads” is the anthem of mediocrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The guy is utterly untouchable. He knows it, we all know it.

And apathy and excuses reign again: “let’s see what happens in January“ has quickly turned into “but we’ll breach FFP rules” while Mowbray tells us all how difficult he finds this recruitment lark.

By the time Mowbray finally goes this team will need to completely start again. “We just need to get in a couple of players to help the lads” is the anthem of mediocrity.

Revisit targets in summer is the latest mantra in he telegraph.  None of us saw that coming...

When a club of our history, stature and apparent 'financial backing' can't afford the better players from league one, you know we're going nowhere in the transfer market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It just seems a waste of everyone's.time so I'm thinking is he attached to mowbrays agent or something.? Two moves in a year, might be a nice earner.

Brereton and Chapman are both with the same agency and both signed last January. Makes you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody fan negativity making the team go on a miserable run whenever we get near the top 6.

Bloody fan negativity spending £12m on Brereton and Gallagher.

Anyway, never understand how fans who want the club and team to be the best they possibly can - so who are looking upwards and wanting positive things for the club - are labelled as negative. 
 

*This post was replying to a now deleted post!

Edited by frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Jhc we are sitting in 10th spot in the league we are a win away from the top 6 with this apparently shit squad! Yet plenty still lambast the club, the players and the manager! It’s unfuckingbelievable some of the tripe trashed out!

This is BRFC 2020: We are doing ok, despite the poor run earlier, despite the good run earlier and despite not having a multimillionaire squad taking to the pitch each game and despite the injury to Dack!

I think most of us can see that at times and in parts we have a good squad. This is one of the reasons for frustration. This time last year we were well placed and confidence was high. We did nothing in January and our season unravelled.

It seems no lessons have been learned from that with virtually the exact same lack of activity and soundbites coming from the club. I wouldn't bet against a similar collapse when the inevitable injuries to our threadbare squad come during the next 4 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quoted a ghost post there, JH! :D

Busy day for the mods incoming..

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matt83 said:

236 pages and our usual January transfer window can be summarised by:

 

18EB5CB0-C4DD-4229-B445-BC1D5C4D4ECB.gif

I reckon it would be about 30 pages less if it wasn't for all of the posts identical to this one pointing out just how long it's been, using a nice big gif to take up even more space ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

I bloody well hope not.

i was referring to TM spending money wisely. So I agree with you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think most of us can see that at times and in parts we have a good squad. This is one of the reasons for frustration. This time last year we were well placed and confidence was high. We did nothing in January and our season unravelled.

It seems no lessons have been learned from that with virtually the exact same lack of activity and soundbites coming from the club. I wouldn't bet against a similar collapse when the inevitable injuries to our threadbare squad come during the next 4 months.

 

Spot on.

The league is poor this year. We’ve a chance to make the playoffs. A few new faces to freshen up the squad would go a long way. If you’re going to throw £15m a year at the club it makes no sense not to gamble and sign a couple of loans. LB and RW being the priority.

No lessons learnt from last year whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.