BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3 Middlesbrough 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.  Whatever you all say I know that Rev works all kinds of unsociable hours in order to chuck about £500 (after tax!) the way of Blackburn Rovers every single season!  What do you lot contribute in financial terms?  Let me guess at Sweet FA!....... apart from maybe the token purchase of a Rovers shirt for the latest family addition.  tinykit.gif .  Judging by your number of posts you all make you must get something from being a member of the Rovers supporters (albeit passive), you appear to watch most matches too so why you can you be so selfish to leave financing it all to the likes of us lot over here?  When Rovers inevitably succumb to the forces of gravity it wont be your fault will it? You didn't go anyway!  It's the fault of those other selfish gits who actually live in Blackburn and who have given over going!         

391797[/snapback]

How do you think the club makes so much money for a Sky match? TV rights and PPV fees. A lot of overseas fans shell out money to follow Rovers. I end up paying more for a Sunday afternoon match (not factoring in exchange rate) to watch it on PPV than you pay for your ticket. So does that make you less of a fan since I spent more money to watch the club that day?

The extra money each year I spend to get Fox Soccer channel also helps Sky pay for their TV rights - more money going into Rovers' coffers.

Then there is Rovers World. I'm sure it does much better by having both overseas and local fans than it would just having local subscribers.

I'd say no Den,too much of a grey area between deliberate and not, leading to questionable bookings.

Only if it's blatant IMO.

391843[/snapback]

Drogba just had a goal crossed off, because he handled the ball first.

No booking though. wink.gif

How do you think the club makes so much money for a Sky match? TV rights and PPV fees. A lot of overseas fans shell out money to follow Rovers. I end up paying more for a Sunday afternoon match (not factoring in exchange rate) to watch it on PPV than you pay for your ticket. So does that make you less of a fan since I spent more money to watch the club that day?

The extra money each year I spend to get Fox Soccer channel also helps Sky pay for their TV rights - more money going into Rovers' coffers.

Then there is Rovers World. I'm sure it does much better by having both overseas and local fans than it would just having local subscribers.

391844[/snapback]

Theno's not going to be happy until the overseas supporters buy a block of seats, rename them, donate the tickets to underprivileged Rovers youngsters, put on a mini-bus, buy them all the latest kits etc, etc......

What the hell?! Send the club a cheque, buy other people's tickets?! I'm not surprised that people don't want to do that. Those of us who live a long way from Ewood, and even those who don't, work hard for our money and don't want to just give it away for nothing. We make an effort to attend matches, we buy the clubs merchandise too. Paying £15 - 30 to the club when we can't attend wouldn't even be noticed, but to me personally, that is nearly a whole weeks shopping.

I just don't think some people understand just how difficult it is for people that live a long way from the ground to get there. Let's take, for example, my costs for making it to Ewood for the UTD semi final:

Ticket - £25? (I can't actually remember how much I paid but I bought the most expensive ticket)

Food at the ground - £3

Programme - £3

Travel - £18 (delighted I managed to get here for as little as that!)

Accommodation - didn't get any this time as I just couldn't afford it, but that can cost anywhere between £10 - 30

Work shift missed = - £25

Then we have to remember that I missed a whole two days of lectures and seminars at uni and got a ###### awful migraine because my sleeping patterns got messed up.

Now imagine doing that 20+ times a season, on a students budget, or otherwise. Also take in to consideration that fact that fans with kids would be working 5 days a week and travelling all weekend. Maybe they shouldn't have kids and should move to Blackburn and live alone.

I have to ask myself whether you lot complaining about us long distance supporters would make the same effort if you lived as far away. Would you (Please don't use that word again)!

Now by the end of the season I would have made it to about 13 games and watched whatever games are on tv. Last season I made about 2/3 of that.

This season I have spent about £200 on merchandise, kit etc and spent about the same last season. Remember, this is on a students budget.

Just because we don't make every game, doesn't mean we aren't committed.

The problem is closer to home, and while you recognize that, you don't recognize the problems of travelling such distances with so little money.

Tell you what Theno, why don't you pay for my ticket to Ewood, and maybe a burger too? You're obviously financially secure enough to do so!

Edited by tcj_jones

What I want to know though, is should every hand ball during a game be punished by a yellow card?

Simple yes or no will do.

391840[/snapback]

The really annoying thing about it was later in the game Viduka commited a blatant hand ball, the ref gave us a freekick but no yellow card for Viduka.

Consistency?

mad.gif

Wow! Theres a few barbs in there ....methinks they do protest too much!

Well for what it's worth imo.......

1.  Lee bangs on about low attendances stiffing our chances of signing top players in the close season on the official site.  Fine.......but it's not that is it Lee?  The problem is income.  Income is linked to attendance but not joined at the hip.  Rovers need money first and support second.  What about you exiles getting together and being regular sponsors of kit / match balls / kids for a quid etc?  You might not make much difference........ or you might make a lot BUT surely you'll feel better.  Or am I being naive? huh.gif 

2.  Whatever you all say I know that Rev works all kinds of unsociable hours in order to chuck about £500 (after tax!) the way of Blackburn Rovers every single season!  What do you lot contribute in financial terms?  Let me guess at Sweet FA!....... apart from maybe the token purchase of a Rovers shirt for the latest family addition.  tinykit.gif .  Judging by your number of posts you all make you must get something from being a member of the Rovers supporters (albeit passive), you appear to watch most matches too so why you can you be so selfish to leave financing it all to the likes of us lot over here?  When Rovers inevitably succumb to the forces of gravity it wont be your fault will it? You didn't go anyway!  It's the fault of those other selfish gits who actually live in Blackburn and who have given over going!         

3.  21 English games a season Philip?  How is that different to 21 games attended at Ewood Park?  Cos thats all that matters to the accountant and bank manager. 

I knew a lad in the late 70's who couldn't attend a home match (first in years that he missed) because of his sisters wedding.  Despite not earning much money he sent the club a cheque for his admission money!  How committed is that?  That one lads worth more to BRFC that all the stay aways and exiles on the sodding planet.  And that is indisputable.

Just like the thousands who thanks to illegal reception of foreign TV channels now watch the game through the bottom of a glass your support in body or spirit is as useful and transparent to BRFC as those empty beer glasses.  Unless you choose to offer financial support in some way the club may as well be without you.  You make no difference. 

Remember support does not just mean jumping up and down and singing in the Blackburn End with your mates, it runs much deeper.  When this site asked for donations I sent a cheque for £25 (accepted that was ages ago and nobody seems to ask anymore unsure.gif ).  The point is that if you want to feel a part of something then support it financially or one day it wont be there.  Simple as.

391797[/snapback]

Why are you having a go on here at Rovers fans who are exiled. Surely you must have some suspicion that, were we still home we would be at the games.

Why don't you save your venting for those that CAN attend games and don't the ones right there in your own backyard.

I think Neill's throw was a bit unlikely really. Okay its risky throwing it across your own box but it looked like it was going staright to Zyra and then it suddenly speeded up (the wind & the bounce).

Bellamy was outstanding as well. No doubt the best performance by a Rovers player this season.

Anyone see the "Ewood: Be our 12th man" thingy on the jumbo screen. Thought the was clever after we'd been singing where playin; 12 again. laugh.gif

anyone see the Tackle Gallas did to earn his red card???

Dear god, an essian special - I missed the chosen one's interview post match, was it good smile.gif

391882[/snapback]

I didnt see a tackle Flops.

I saw a professional footballer stamping on a fellow professionals calf. That was no tackle.

"Why are you having a go on here at Rovers fans who are exiled.  Surely you must have some suspicion that, were we still home we would be at the games."

IF MY AUNTIE HAD BOOLOCKS SHE'D HAVE BEEN MY UNCLE..... work it out USABlue.

......................................................................................................................

"Why don't you save your venting for those that CAN attend games and don't the ones right there in your own backyard."

RIGHT.

1.  I AND 4 OTHERS HAVE JUST SPENT OVER £100 PROVIDING HOME TICKETS TILL THE END OF THE SEASON FOR A LAPSED SUPPORTERS BIRTHDAY PREZZIE IN THE HOPE THAT HIS APPETITE FOR BRFC WILL BE RE-KINDLED! 

2.  YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BE AWARE OF THIS BUT URDU AND GUDJARHATI ARE NOT MY STRONG POINT. 

391864[/snapback]

USAB Please don't expect others to do what you are disinclined to do...... namely providing a share of the necessary funding for BRFC!

It was remarkable that their number 10 was not booked-Reid did not enjoy getting stamped on and he pulled him down with his hand. He committed many other fouls, some of which looked bookable.

Someone said they liked Todd at the back because he is a good defender. As someone who does not rate Todd, what I have noticed is that he sften gets away with mistkes where other defenders do not- Zurab could maybe have done more with the awful throw to him. Todd was nowhere near Senderos when he headed over for Arsenal so he got away with his mistake again.

I just cannot believe Mourinho. It's just amazing how a man can be so oblivious - oh how harsh, even though it's a handball you still feel hard done by! What a dick.

EDIT: now Hansen and Le Saux are calling Gallas's blatant stamp a "tackle." Not only that but Hansen is saying that the ref only disallowed the goal because he was influenced by a decision earlier where he didn't give Fulham a penalty!

Edited by tcj_jones

USAB  Please don't expect others to do what you are disinclined to do...... namely providing a share of the necessary funding for BRFC!

391889[/snapback]

Gordo, if you took the time to read my post (you probably did, but are ignoring it because you don't have a good response) you'd know that USA does provide a share of the funding.

What a load of cobblers from the club.  By my calculation, a decline of 3,000 fans over 19 games at the club's stated income level of 13 quid a seat works out to the massive sum of 741k.  If we were to finish 5th, that would be a rise of 10 places at 500k a place - 5 million. 

Attendance income comes a poor third behind Sky and commercial incomes, so for the club to state that it drives our purchasing power in the market is simply misleading.  Fans won't come out of fear, especially when it is so transparently ungrounded.

391817[/snapback]

Not saying that the increased income doesn't cover it, but I do want to highlight what is missed when you look at a situation from a pre-judged perspective.

One thing the improved league performance does do is:

1. Kicks in performance related bonus clauses.

2. Necessitate upgrades for players who are nearing the end of their contracts (and funnily enough, I recall Lee mentioning at the start of the season that we had an abnormally large no. of contracts up at the end... although we've off loaded a few of those already). Because the players are performing well, in a side that is doing well, it improves their marketability from the agents perspective. Unfortunately, we are inevitably going to see this in off season transfer strife (player X wanting big money move, etc).

To me, player contracts are the riskiest part of a football clubs business. You will get cycles where "deadwood" is sponging up a good portion of the wages.

EDIT. Forgot to ask... isn't the difference in "placing" income only worked out from whatever Rovers budgetted on finishing? I thought this time round, it was 10th position. Unless you already had calculated as such? Edit again... you couldn't have could you (I not with stupid... someone is with me wink.gif )

Edited by Shaddy

All fair points Shaddy, but even so, trying to scare punters into coming isn't likely to be effective when they can see that the entire lost gate income wouldn't even pay the salary of just one of the first team squad.

Still, the half empty stadium doesn't seem to be adversely impacting player motivation and home results!

Having seen the goals from the game (for which I pay Fox a monthly fee and hence indirectly Rovers, whether we are on live or not), I cannot but be amazed at Bellamy's scoring prowess - Shearer reborn. Both Boro goals seemed to go straight through Brad, but then he does still keep pulling out the reactive shot-stoppers. I also though there was a hint of hand to ball for Savage

I didn't think we played particularly well first half but there was little to suggest this was going to be anything other than a routine home win until Mr. Foy decided to make himself centre of attention.

I was worried having castigated John Howarth that TV replays might show a career ending challenge and a bit of volleyball from Savage. I have watched both "offences" numerous times in slow motion and am still to be convinced that either was an infringement, let alone cardable. In real time and at normal speed I was convinced it was an honest (and fair) challenge for the ball and ball to hand rather than vice versa. If Savage had been in trouble throughout for persistent fouling then I could understand the official wanting to put his foot down but I can't remember Savage committing another foul of note all game and if that is the standard of officiating we can expect in future the game is in real trouble.

In the circumstances it was a performance of tremendous character from the team to concede an equaliser yet go on to win. Other than their second, they caused us less trouble with an extra man than previously, a testament to the character and fitness of the side on the day.

I seem to sing Bellamy's praises on here every time he plays but that was the best performance we've seen at Ewood since Shearer in his prime IMO.

A day when we didn't make any headway in the Champions League/UEFA chase but we could so easily have been practically out of it, and that didn't happen either.

What a load of cobblers from the club.  By my calculation, a decline of 3,000 fans over 19 games at the club's stated income level of 13 quid a seat works out to the massive sum of 741k.  If we were to finish 5th, that would be a rise of 10 places at 500k a place - 5 million. 

Attendance income comes a poor third behind Sky and commercial incomes, so for the club to state that it drives our purchasing power in the market is simply misleading.  Fans won't come out of fear, especially when it is so transparently ungrounded.

391817[/snapback]

Totally agree on the figures.

As a side issue history has shown us that the "come and support us or else" approach has little effect.

(Bill Bancroft taking out the front page of the LET in the 70's)

I can't recall either things working the other way round i.e. being told the manager having a larger wedge to spend when we've finished higher than expected - 10th first season back, 6th etc. Incidentally if we budgeted to finish 10th this year i.e. relying on it as opposed to hoping for it, that's quite optimistic after 2 successive 15th place finishes.

So whoever authorised this bit of "PR", my message would be "Leave it to Hughesey -he's much better at it."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.