BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, den said:

It was very moving. Paul Stewart in particular has been hit so hard by it, it’s awful watching it.

I watched the three episodes in iPlayer and wow, really powerful stuff. I don't mind admitting I shed a tear when hearing of the things they were put through. Well done the BBC for producing such an evocative programme. 

I wasn't exactly filled with confidence though that it could still happen or indeed is still happening. The FA once again should be initiating protocols and processes that would stop it but their silence is deafening. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just watching the start of George Floyd trial and it has me thinking of the documentary: LA 92.

Really good film. Covers the riots after the Rodney King incident.

Used to be on Netflix for free, but seems to just be to rent for £3.50 on Amazon or Sky now.

Anyway, if this Court case doesn't have a satisfactory outcome I fear we could see way worse than 1992. 

59 minutes ago, Silas said:

Just watching the start of George Floyd trial and it has me thinking of the documentary: LA 92.

Really good film. Covers the riots after the Rodney King incident.

Used to be on Netflix for free, but seems to just be to rent for £3.50 on Amazon or Sky now.

Anyway, if this Court case doesn't have a satisfactory outcome I fear we could see way worse than 1992. 

I find this kind of thing quite riveting. Watching how cases are argued in court in real life situations is so interesting and educational. 
I saw the prosecution set out their case and part of the defendants case being set out before sky decided we should be watching Boris Johnson instead. That wouldn’t be my choice.

Theres so much unknown about the actual facts of what happened on that day along with Floyds drug use and heart problems Also, it shouldn’t be forgotten that the defence doesn’t have to prove anything. They just need to put doubt into the jurors minds. 

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, den said:

I saw the prosecution set out their case and part of the defendants case being set out before sky decided we should be watching Boris Johnson instead. That wouldn’t be my choice.

Should switch to CNN. They seem to have full coverage. 

You're right, it is a fascinating case, and I don't think it's overdramatic to say it could possibly be the biggest in history if you factor in the potential consequences. 

I reckon there will be fairly large riots if the defendant gets a medium conviction of, say, manslaughter and 10 years.

An acquittal doesn't even bear thinking about, there would be full on armageddon in the States. 

• Like 2

Just now, Silas said:

Should switch to CNN. They seem to have full coverage. 

You're right, it is a fascinating case, and I don't think it's overdramatic to say it could possibly be the biggest in history if you factor in the potential consequences. 

I reckon there will be fairly large riots if the defendant gets a medium conviction of, say, manslaughter and 10 years.

An acquittal doesn't even bear thinking about, there would be full on armageddon in the States. 

That’s what adds “spice”* to this case.

*probably the wrong word. 

Finding Jack Charlton was on BBC2 last night. It basically followed him during the last couple of years of his life and showed his battle with dementia. The talking heads were interesting as well, it was obviously a very strained relationship between Jackie and Bobby for example. Well worth watching.

Should be available on the BBC iPlayer now.

• Moderation Lead
On 23/03/2021 at 09:30, arbitro said:

I saw the first half of Football's Dirty Secrets last night on BBC1 and found it compelling but harrowing too. It continues tonight and tomorrow.

How on earth did them beasts get away with it for so long?

Watched this last night. Christ, that was tough! You wonder about Crewe and Dario Gradi by the end, too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Watched this last night. Christ, that was tough! You wonder about Crewe and Dario Gradi by the end, too. 

There were lots of unanswered questions for me and suspicions around Gradi have been around for decades. I was told of this rumour by a senior Cheshire policeman in the mid 90's. There is a Scottish version of child abuse in football on the BBC later this week.

• 1 month later...

Critique of the powers that be, fair enough. I know not everything in life gets a happy ending and I get the points that episode made, but this isn't real life, not even close so why couldn't we have something just a bit more explosive and dramatic?

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve been an avid fan of “ Line Of Duty “ over the years. It started out brilliantly with series 1 and has usually provided some gripping TV. However I thought it had run it’s course at the end of the last series. I haven’t watched the latest series in spite of my wife watching it.

Agree with you on that. They could have made last series the end and it would have gone down as one of the greatest series but they've pushed it one series too far. 

This series I thought was a bit predictable so I didn't get as invested in the cliff hanger moments. The Jo Davidson being related to someone was clearly Tommy hunter and the waiting to see who got shot it was obvious that someone had shot Ryan. 

I think also people got overly invested in the idea that there was one big person 'H' pulling the strings when it was stated so many times that it was a few rotten apples. People couldn't get 'H' out their head so the reveal was underwhelming. 

• Backroom

Having rewatched,  it's a better ending than I thought last night. Lots of loose ends tied up, and at least the ending makes sense.

Makes sense treating the Fourth Man literally (they were all 'caddies') without a specific 'Big Bad' leading.

Plus, a nice nod to the idea that oftentimes 'evil' is just incompetence not being challenged early enough.

Disappointing a very low key ending I thought. Jed Mercurio does have trouble rounding off these dramas; the finale to the Bodyguard was ludicrous.

LoD did tantalisingly offer the prospect of a return when Hastings asked the rhetorical question of who promoted Buckles (sp?) to a senior rank when he was clearly a useless police officer, though I may have misread it

I still don't know why Jimmy Nesbitt ended up just being a pic and he wasnt even in it.Is he a friend of Jed and helping him establish a red herring or is there something coming in series 7 if they carry on with it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I still don't know why Jimmy Nesbitt ended up just being a pic and he wasnt even in it.Is he a friend of Jed and helping him establish a red herring or is there something coming in series 7 if they carry on with it.

I agree. Arguably the most high profile actor involved and we didn't actually see him live. Mercurio is playing the long game here.

Having slept on it for a couple of nights I'm coming round to that ending a bit more. I may rewatch and see what I think. I think the issue was that the audience wasn't prepared for a subtle ending as it had all been geared towards an explosive ending. 

• Backroom

Re: Line of Duty, I was personally hoping for something like this:

Exactly the show that we got, but after the 'explanations' at the end we get one extra scene

We see a message typed on a laptop, camera pans round as the laptop is closed, so we don't see who typed it.

They walk out of the room facing away from us, and shut the door. On the back of the door hangs an unused walking cane.

Cut to black.