BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

Sorry, had a scroll through and can't see an answer - why have the U21s matches been moved to Saturdays? (And, why was it changed back to U21s from U23s?

Because JDT wants them playing alongside the main team. 

26 minutes ago, J*B said:

Because JDT wants them playing alongside the main team. 

You would have thought that it wouldn't have been too difficult to organise, that the U21s play at home when the first team are away, and not when the first team are at home

• Backroom
7 hours ago, rigger said:

You would have thought that it wouldn't have been too difficult to organise, that the U21s play at home when the first team are away, and not when the first team are at home

It means all players eligible for the first team can train together on the same schedule, rather than any match day meaning that different players have to miss training.

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

It means all players eligible for the first team can train together on the same schedule, rather than any match day meaning that different players have to miss training.

If that's the case (I personally think it's poor rationale) why don't they stagger the kick off times? For example if they were both at home tomorrow the first team would naturally be 3 pm and the under 21's could kick off at sat 12 noon. That way supporters can still see the under 21's play. Personally I like seeing the youngsters coming through and developing as do many others.

• Like 1

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

If that's the case (I personally think it's poor rationale) why don't they stagger the kick off times? For example if they were both at home tomorrow the first team would naturally be 3 pm and the under 21's could kick off at sat 12 noon. That way supporters can still see the under 21's play. Personally I like seeing the youngsters coming through and developing as do many others.

I think it makes better sense, personally. Otherwise any player in the first team squad made available for non-first-team games would miss just over a month of training days per year.

By matching matchdays (I do agree that matches could be staggered times, mind) it means that all players are available for every scheduled training session.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think it makes better sense, personally. Otherwise any player in the first team squad made available for non-first-team games would miss just over a month of training days per year.

By matching matchdays (I do agree that matches could be staggered times, mind) it means that all players are available for every scheduled training session.

But predominantly the nucleus of the under 23's train at the Academy and not the STC. In the past they have played midweek, usually Monday's at home and it's never been an issue. Once the season starts and games come thick and fast training becomes less intense and managers will be likely to give days off more readily. It makes little sense to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike E said:

But if both teams are playing on a Saturday, why have both teams at home. Surely it is better for supporters to have one team at home whilst the other is away. I know not many get down to watch the U21s, but there will be even fewer, if the Firsts are at home on the same day. 

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But predominantly the nucleus of the under 23's train at the Academy and not the STC. In the past they have played midweek, usually Monday's at home and it's never been an issue. Once the season starts and games come thick and fast training becomes less intense and managers will be likely to give days off more readily. It makes little sense to me.

Possibly. Maybe I've got my Football Manager hat on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Do you really think our pitch would hold up to that?!

After the last couple of seasons I certainly don't.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Fee might pay for the painting and general improvement of the stadium.👍

Fee? I doubt there will be much of one. He's 14 isn't he? Don't think you get a decent fee at that age. Dunno if you even get any.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Fee? I doubt there will be much of one. He's 14 isn't he? Don't think you get a decent fee at that age. Dunno if you even get any.

£200k

Don't get to see much of the under 21 lads.  We've been reasonably successful at bringing through  some useful midfielders and centrebacks over the last few seasons.  

For those of you who watch, are there any decent attacking options coming through?  I think we can rule Butterworth and Vale out. 

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't get to see much of the under 21 lads.  We've been reasonably successful at bringing through  some useful midfielders and centrebacks over the last few seasons.  

For those of you who watch, are there any decent attacking options coming through?  I think we can rule Butterworth and Vale out. 

Burns in a high press role, other than that, no.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Who is Harry Leonard? Blackburn starlet putting injury woe behind him | jobs4football

• Like 1