SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Man Utd

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

It was last week and the useless set of T**ts got a 1-1 with Rotherham

That's why we are in the bottom three because of the inconsistency.  If we can play like we did today over the next 15 games we will get out of the bottom three.  It's up to the players now to deliver that level of performance on a regular basis - if they don't we will be back in the Third Division next season.

Can't really see today's performance behind replicated for the next chichen games when we've been rank gash for most of the season. 

Mind you today's performance wasn't even that good. Two more shoddy  goals conceded 

Is that gives you renewed hope then you're easily  pleased 

Just now, Parsonblue said:

That's why we are in the bottom three because of the inconsistency.  If we can play like we did today over the next 15 games we will get out of the bottom three.  It's up to the players now to deliver that level of performance on a regular basis - if they don't we will be back in the Third Division next season.

I disagree, I think we've regularly passed the ball around at times, attacked and created chances, all season - uniteds obvious slow start today helped us but they eventually upped their game and turned it around.

Funnily enough, the individual errors and mistakes that have not been addressed all season cost us two goals in an otherwise mostly organised performance. Williams for the second goal is baffling and I'm pretty sure the centre backs where having a whizz for the equaliser.

There are certainly factors like injuries, but the squad has been there all season to get the most out of games. Today is proof of Coyles disastrous reign. 

I can't see how he can change it after 6 months of trying, we've never looked a 90 minute team, we've been hilariously weak at defending set pieces and stuff the league position is perilous.

1 month in - talks about individual errors, I haven't seen this change. I haven't seen our shape (without the ball especially) improve at all, in whatever formation he seemingly picked out the hat.

Today is just more frustration because the same lack of motivation and organisation will be back in the meaningful game this week, another Coyle screw in the lid.

Came away with mixed feelings after today's game. First of all pride that we put in a good performance up against strong opposition. Yet everything was still tinged with anger and sadness at how far the club has fallen under the current ownership. The electronic advertising boards, presumably hauled out from a dusty storage unit somewhere, brightly beamed the Venky's logo around the world and made me feel sick. Despite what's happened at the club the anger towards them or any form of protest in this high-profile game was mild to say the least. Maybe the timing of the goals was unfortunate but from where I was sitting I only witnessed a splattering of red cards at best as the clock reached 18 (I really hope this was picked up by the television coverage) and only a couple of Venky's out chants, the loudest of which wasn't heard till the closing stages of the game. That being said the overall atmosphere was decent although I would say the attendance was slightly disappointing, only 23,000 that's 5,000 short of what we had on, in what you would say was a comparably attractive game, when we played Liverpool a few years back. This leaves no doubt the core Rovers support continues to dwindle and you can guarantee the next home game the home areas of the ground will look half empty once more after the mixture of fair weather fans and neutral observers that flocked to this game are gone. That's not to say that they aren't Rovers fan but to them coming to a game is a form of entertainment and nothing more than that. I still expected more in the form of a protest for this game, I have come to realise that maybe a large chunk of the more vocal protestors would be the ones boycotting and as such you are left with very few loud protesting voices.

Onto the actual game itself. Paul Pogba's eyebrows are probably worth about as much as our entire squad, so one has to take into account the mismatch when judging how we performed. That being said I don't believe Coyle had much of a game plan, today was back to the good ol' 4-4-2 and run about a bit, which I thought was risky leaving us outnumbered in midfield. But a brilliant bit of work from Emnes and finish from Graham sent Ewood into raptures and who knows maybe Coyle is a genius after all (or maybe not). The universe came back into align eventually when a hoofball over our sleeping defense led that Zlatan guy to notch the winner. Now I hate a cliche as much as anyone else but our next four game are "our cup finals" I would say, we need at the very least seven points from those games to give us a fighting chance going into the final stretch of the season anything less than that and I fear we are as good as down. Somewhere in that group of players I believe there is the capability of stringing a few wins together in this league. I would say it is easy to get yourself up for a game like today's but can we maintain the same level of effort for the league games. I'm sure it has been mentioned on here a lot but I am also concerned about the fitness and fitness level of some of our players, it was no coincidence after about an hour or so into the game we completely dropped off and came under pressure (it's a regular theme in our games). Also I can't for the life of me understand how Mahoney isn't starting every game, he's a much better option than either Feeney or Conway at present.

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If you can't enjoy games like today you shouldn't really bother following football full-stop.  It was a cracking cup-tie.

Agree to an extent Parson. The 90 mins were great (apart from the fact we didn't get the replay we maybe deserved).

My over-riding feeling though is one of immense frustration that the players won't perform to anything like that sort of level in the League week in week out. We've seen already up at Newcastle the players can motivate themselves to put in a decent performance on a big occasion. The manager seems unable however to motivate them week in week out for the more mundane bread and butter fixtures.

Emnes' performance today should buy him a starting place in our remaining games this season, having a forward that can drop deep, hold up the ball and deliver good passes to a running striker and wingers helps our attacking game tremendously as well as eases central midfield's workload. Mahoney is another player who has to start the next game, although I get what Coyle is going for with putting him on against tiring defenses. Hopefully he can learn from this performance and build on it; keep things simple, keep the team's shape, leave the initiative to the opposition and hit them on the counter. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

What are you on about? I haven't insulted anyone for wishing not to protest. I HAVE expressed that I feel it's the wrong thing to do and have done so without insulting them.

My post is not the result of 'a bit of gib' from today. I just feel that today was the final straw after multiple previous attempts over 6 years at engaging with fellow supporters were greeted with insults, hearing-related degradation, and spit (as I've explained before).

I dread to think how you feel about charity workers in the town centres, or do you falsely accuse them of insulting non-donors too?

I'd say "No thank you" and move on. But not everyone would.There is no excuse for abuse and good manners cost nothing but those are increasingly rare in all walks of life as I'm sure you've noticed. So it's naive to expect a different standard outside the ground from that which you would encounter in everyday life. 

I also think you're being rather naive in not realising that a few fans will (wrongly) view your protesting as being disloyal to the Club. 

So if in general the vast majority of fans take a card, or politely decline, but a few numpties give you some stick then your protest has had the desired effect and been successful.

I certainly don't see it's any reason to tar all Rovers fans with the same brush and say you will refuse to sit with fans who don't actively protest etc.

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd say "No thank you" and move on. But not everyone would.There is no excuse for abuse and good manners cost nothing but those are increasingly rare in all walks of life as I'm sure you've noticed. So it's naive to expect a different standard outside the ground from that which you would encounter in everyday life. 

I also think you're being rather naive in not realising that a few fans will (wrongly) view your protesting as being disloyal to the Club. 

So if in general the vast majority of fans take a card, or politely decline, but a few numpties give you some stick then your protest has had the desired effect and been successful.

I certainly don't see it's any reason to tar all Rovers fans with the same brush and say you will refuse to sit with fans who don't actively protest etc.

Now why didn't you say that in the first place instead of falsely tarring me and making things up? You claimed that I was 'labelling non-protestors as mentally defective in some way', so ACOB is actually correct.

Confirming my original point: Perhaps people should try civil disagreement instead of hurling insults (minority of fans today) and completely false accusations (you).

I enjoyed watching today. I thought Rovers gave a good account of themselves and if I didn't know that the club is a basket case struggling in the championship I'd I have thought that the game was a premier league one. It was an even affair. £100m+ worth of talent on Man U's subs bench and some horrifically static defending cost Rovers a replay. 

It was a bit sad watching. I had the pleasure of watching Rovers battle Man U for premier league titles in my youth. In a strange way today reminded me of the Mark Atkins Liverpool cup game. A brief bit of publicity with pats on the back. However, nowadays is nothing like that as the club has been torn to shreds by numerous self serving entities. 

Its a shame. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

That',are in the bottom three because of the inconsistency.  If we can play like we did today over the next 15 games we will get out of the bottom three.  It's up to the players now to deliver that level of performance on a regular basis - if they don't we will be back in the Third Division next season.

Wont Happen though, a one off big game doesnt Make up for a season of absolute dross

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

To the contrary, we are consistent at failing to get results, even from games we are well in, (no disgrace, but yesterday being a good example).

Inconsistent teams sit in mid table.

We have a manager who is simply incapable of getting results.

Is that likely to change after giving United a game?

Not in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

If you can't enjoy games like today you shouldn't really bother following football full-stop.  It was a cracking cup-tie.

Encouragement techniques haven't  waivered since 1992 I see .  On the face of it I see a half decent  game but I can't lobotomise myself as skilfully as others it seems to forget the bigger picture 

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not at all. Some people want to protest. Some don't.  I can't see why the protesters can't get their heads round the fact some people have a different opinion to their own and are reduced to hurling insults like Mike and labelling non protesters as being mentally defective in some way.

That's a disgusting post from start to finish. Step back and watch while others try to do something and then belittle protesters.

Anti-protesters aren't mentally defective they just couldn't care less about the club and make excuses to do nothing.

Just now, Stuart said:

That's a disgusting post from start to finish. Step back and watch while others try to do something and then belittle protesters.

Anti-protesters aren't mentally defective they just couldn't care less about the club and make excuses to do nothing.

Yes, those who are antagonistic towards protesters do have a different view to protesters , of which they are entitled to . It just appears that their view is that all is rosy . 

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

No, we have been pretty consistent thus far .

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Exactly. Rovers manager and players need step it up a gear now and get results. No more excuses. Bored of them. 

Just now, Stuart said:

What an insulting last sentence. Are you really trying to tell me I dont care about my club? Really? Are you taking the mick or something? Dont try to tell me that I dont have passion for club. Cos you talking out of your &$$.

We should talking about the game not this yet again. Same thing in every thread

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly. Rovers manager and players need step it up a gear now and get results. No more excuses. Bored of them. 

What an insulting last sentence. Are you really trying to tell me I dont care about my club? Really? Are you taking the mick or something? Dont try to tell me that I dont have passion for club. Cos you talking out of your &$$.

We should talking about the game not this yet again. Same thing in every thread

You are financially complicit . That's your choice to watch the football , however Have you at least given any of the protests a try ? 

If not it suggests you are prepared just to let whatever happens happen without a whimper 

as for consistency we have been very consistent . 

Enjoy yor club 

Yes! It doesn't matter how well we go or not for most of the game because we always have 2 defensive shockers up our sleeves. All it took was was 2 long balls down the middle which left their strikers one on one with Steele! No defenders anywhere around! So to win that game we had to score three. Happens every week so we are consistent.

How this guy has the nerve to call himself a manager is beyond me.

So I couldn't enjoy it because like 8 times out of ten I knew what would happen.

Archived