BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Do people not sense the element of patronisation that comes with the current adulation of Brereton's eligibility for career? Because of his dreadful first 2 years in which case football seemed a foreign concept (obvious improvement third year without convincingly succeeding) and occasional clips of him off the field being painted as a bit thick has really all helped him to create this cult hero status.

No, I think most people are just happy for him. However, there is a very snide element to how you worded some of the above 

• Like 6

Chileans have taken to & latched on to BB in large part because the ship that is chilean international football has been steadily sinking into mediocrity since 2015.  Chile failed to qualify for the 2018 WC by the thinnest of margins.  Chile's stars of its so-called "golden generation" no longer shine.  There is no new blood or truly talented young players.  The fillers aiding Alexis Sánchez in attack have sucked.  And along comes this giant piece of stiff English wood.  So Chileans have clung to it as you would to avoid drowning. 

I think chileans have gone off the rails and over inflated BB's potential, which is unfair to him.  They dont know how mediocre he's been in the Championship and have pinned too many of their hopes on this shiney new object but such is the desperation of the chilean fan.  Which is why chile's uruguayan coach Lasarte has attempted to temper expectations and warned fans BB still has a long learning curve in front of him.  

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, I think most people are just happy for him. However, there is a very snide element to how you worded some of the above 

I think all people are happy for him. I went to the pub on Friday obviously expecting England to win, and was obviously dissapointed at full time. The pub then put Chile on and I was buzzing (of course aided by alcohol) when he scored.

I dont see how my post was in any way snide. I do think both on the pitch with his initial couple of years where he didnt look like a footballer at all, coupled with the social media perception of him with team mates quick to make jokes at his expense, and then of course the strangeness to his recent exploits (if it was another player qualifying for say another country within the UK, not half as interesting as the player from Stoke playing for Chile v Bolivia) that when he does do something good, its just so easy to warm to him.

I remember in his first season when we played Bolton in a dead rubber and he scored and I genuinely felt so happy for him, as did the whole stadium, contrary to the myth at the time that anyone "wanted him to fail."

Of course a big compliment to him would be that last season has very much seen a level of output that his first 2 seasons didnt even hint at, whilst it was probably average all in all, he has very much made himself a much more important member of the squad with so much more to be optimistic about. Talk about being close to justifying the fee, well thats just getting caught up in Chile fever, but we should be prioritising a new deal which I never thought id say a year ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think all people are happy for him. I went to the pub on Friday obviously expecting England to win, and was obviously dissapointed at full time. The pub then put Chile on and I was buzzing (of course aided by alcohol) when he scored.

I dont see how my post was in any way snide. I do think both on the pitch with his initial couple of years where he didnt look like a footballer at all, coupled with the social media perception of him with team mates quick to make jokes at his expense, and then of course the strangeness to his recent exploits (if it was another player qualifying for say another country within the UK, not half as interesting as the player from Stoke playing for Chile v Bolivia) that when he does do something good, its just so easy to warm to him.

I remember in his first season when we played Bolton in a dead rubber and he scored and I genuinely felt so happy for him, as did the whole stadium, contrary to the myth at the time that anyone "wanted him to fail."

Of course a big compliment to him would be that last season has very much seen a level of output that his first 2 seasons didnt even hint at, whilst it was probably average all in all, he has very much made himself a much more important member of the squad with so much more to be optimistic about. Talk about being close to justifying the fee, well thats just getting caught up in Chile fever, but we should be prioritising a new deal which I never thought id say a year ago.

Think this is one of the biggest Rovers myth's that fans (especially fans that probably dont get to go to Ewood much) seem to fall for that folk were against Brereton or wanted him to fail, or booed him at his every touch etc.

Sure he got a few groans when mis placing a pass or missing a chance, but no more than any other player gets. Throughout his time here I can only recall a handful of boo's directed towards him when he was substituted from a 500ish following at Brum in the FA Cup season before last. I was near the front and heard them, a couple of mates were up at the back and didn't hear anything. Was probably about 10 "lads".

The relief and emotion from the whole stadium was probably the best moment of that season when he scored against Bolton.

There does seem to be a small portion of our fanbase that point the finger at anything that goes wrong towards the fans though which I just find very strange.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 7

• Backroom
2 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Chileans have taken to & latched on to BB in large part because the ship that is chilean international football has been steadily sinking into mediocrity since 2015.  Chile failed to qualify for the 2018 WC by the thinnest of margins.  Chile's stars of its so-called "golden generation" no longer shine.  There is no new blood or truly talented young players.  The fillers aiding Alexis Sánchez in attack have sucked.  And along comes this giant piece of stiff English wood.  So Chileans have clung to it as you would to avoid drowning. 

I think chileans have gone off the rails and over inflated BB's potential, which is unfair to him.  They dont know how mediocre he's been in the Championship and have pinned too many of their hopes on this shiney new object but such is the desperation of the chilean fan.  Which is why chile's uruguayan coach Lasarte has attempted to temper expectations and warned fans BB still has a long learning curve in front of him.  

Well there are plenty who think he's a knob for some reason 😂

All the rest of the stuff aside i'm rover the moon for him as most of the underwhelming stint here hasn't been his fault imo.

He didn't ask to leave Forest as far as i'm aware they wanted to cash in. And he certainly didn't ask anyone to sign off a near 7 million deal. What was missing from him too often was hard work on the pitch and the look of real desire to make a go of it. 

That seemed to change last summer and when he's been fit since he's given it a good effort. Can't really ask anymore as a fan i just hope he keeps it up now and does himself justice.

• Like 4

On 20/06/2021 at 14:37, Mike E said:

You've got mixed up with the Jordan Rhodes £7-8m, which was a Balaji Rao project.

I think he was ably assisted by a comedian TV pundit, and a fan, from what I know on the matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

I can’t remember the year now, but Chile did field a decent side in one World Cup. I think a player called Salah, caught the eye, if my memory serves me properly.

Tengo mucho anos, ahora, so quizas no!!

I’ve had less time recently to post much and a dwindling inclination but even I’m happy for Ben.

He’s going to need to work bloody hard to maintain it but I bet he’s buzzing right now.

Now, we just need a feelgood factor at Ewood and not some Mowbray platitude about how BBD is “like a new signing”.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Well there are plenty who think he's a knob for some reason 😂

There are plenty of Rovers fans who think at least one player in every squad is a knob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

You been watching me in the shower again?

On 19/06/2021 at 14:52, Tugayisgod said:

Funny how that £7m Mowbray “wasted” on Brereton seems to have been conveniently forgotten. Now it’s tie him to a long term deal , he’s worth more than AA. 
Just maybe he was bought as a 20 year old kid with potential, and that potential is starting to be realised. 

When we needed defenders, under the threat of ffp, and a goal of promotion a daft time to gamble with £7m.

Funny how so many people don’t get that bit.

• Like 1

Yeah, come on - we all love the kid, right? His transfer was wrong and all that side stuff - but put your selves in his shoes right now! Dude is in south america, getting caps and is a twitter meme. Could do great for his confidence - lets hope!

• Like 6

In July 2019 I and my grandson had a tour of Ewood Park and I was surprised that one of the private boxes was used by the Brereton family. No other box had been hired by any other Rovers player's family as far as I am aware.

6 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Don't worry he's in good hands here..........oh no wait, he's not, Mowbray is a dreadful manager.

The mayor of Penco, a coastal town in S-Central Chile near Concepción, wants to build a crockery museum in honor of Bréreton Díaz's family.  Apparently BB's maternal great grandfather emigrated to Penco from Madrid in 1927 and revitalized a crockery and cerimics factory which went on to employ over 1800 people.  The factory produced plates which were used throughout Chile in the mid 20th century.   Now the mayor wants to open a museum to highlight the local contributions of the Díaz family in the realm of.....crockery.

ben_brereton_lozapenco.jpg

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 3