BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Villa this Saturday: 30th March - KO - 3pm

Well, I think we all expected a lot worse! They are a good side Villa, they have some quality players at this level. They were the better side but I don’t think we disgraced ourselves today, compared to some of our recent away showings this was a step in the right direction. That’s not saying much though. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

That's like a win for Tony

In fairness, most of us predicted much worse.

We looked so much better when Rothwell and (surprisingly) Brereton came on. We were no longer able to play route one, started playing it on the deck, and had someone to actually link the play in order to make that work. He really has to stop benching Rothwell or he's on a hiding to nothing.

I’d have more respect for Mowbray if he accepted we can’t defend, are going to get beaten by Villa, but gave the young attacking players a chance like Rothwell, Butterworth, Brereton, Chapman.

What did we learn from today? Nothing. 

31 minutes ago, Neal said:

Many teams have exceeded in this league without the financial might that other teams have... Due to exceptional management. Tony Mowbray is a nice fella but by no means is he an exceptional manager at this level. If you can't see the points return from the last available 30 points and know that there needs to be a change then its just blind loyalty, pure ignorance or both. 

I am just being honest about our plight. Who out there is available as manager that would improve our situation, as an evaluator of players, or from a strategical point of view, that we could get? If the owners don’t pony up 20 mil, 30 mil in additional debt, I don’t see a new manager being the answer. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

First half was terrifying, and we were piss poor. Bennett at CM made me rethink my criticism of Evans. Should not play there.

Armstrong missed a golden chance before the subs but after that we played a lot better and knocked it about nicely. Rothwell and BB made a difference to our approach - D & G didn’t have bad games really, just think we need to be a bit cuter than hoofy hold up play and knock downs against quality 6’5 defenders and with players like McGinn buzzing around.

Replace Mulgrew & the departing Reed, get some more defenders in and I still think we can be a decent outfit.

Overall: certainly not good, but not too bad. I 100% expected worse from Villa Park with their team and form and the way we’ve been going lately.

Move onwards and hopefully upwards. Let’s experiment a bit more with the lineups.

But not with Bennett at CM.

• Like 1

Of the defenders whose jobs ought to be on the line:

Raya - good saves, good catches. No chance with the goals. 

Nyambe - Weak. At sea for the first and offered nothing going forwards

Lenihan - Mostly good. Got caught miles upfield once going for a ball he had no business to.

Mulgrew - Get rid. At fault for both goals and almost gave away a third with a dreadful pass straight to Villa. Poor positioning and weak as piss in the air.

Bell - Best game yet IMO. Gave them something to worry about going forwards, esp after Rothwell came on, blocked a few crosses coming in, and three goals in this team is not to be sniffed at.

Williams - Where he should be, nowhere in sight.

Rodwell - If you can’t get in this team matey, time to move on.

• Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

First half was terrifying, and we were piss poor. Bennett at CM made me rethink my criticism of Evans. Should not play there.

Armstrong missed a golden chance before the subs but after that we played a lot better and knocked it about nicely. Rothwell and BB made a difference to our approach - D & G didn’t have bad games really, just think we need to be a bit cuter than hoofy hold up play and knock downs against quality 6’5 defenders and with players like McGinn buzzing around.

Replace Mulgrew & the departing Reed, get some more defenders in and I still think we can be a decent outfit.

Overall: certainly not good, but not too bad. I 100% expected worse from Villa Park with their team and form and the way we’ve been going lately.

Move onwards and hopefully upwards. Let’s experiment a bit more with the lineups.

But not with Bennett at CM.

If Bennett can’t play CM in the Championship, he’s finished. Get him some pom-poms and a tu-tu and stick him on the touch line.

• Backroom

We had two shots on target the whole afternoon, both of which I believe came at the same time with Mulgrew's free kick and Bell scoring the rebound. I wouldn't really call that a step in the right direction. By the sounds of it we were fucking atrocious one half and mostly inoffensive in the second. If that counts as going in the right direction then we may want to check the map again. 

• Like 4

Don't know what to think any more, does TM simply not care any longer and is thumbing his nose up at the supporters and the younger players by just picking his old mates regardless of form and results?

What in the name of god is he doing starting Conway? Is he trying to get his appearances to the point where we are obliged to give him another new contract?

10 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I am just being honest about our plight. Who out there is available as manager that would improve our situation, as an evaluator of players, or from a strategical point of view, that we could get? If the owners don’t pony up 20 mil, 30 mil in additional debt, I don’t see a new manager being the answer. 

Jokanovic.