BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You were convince it would happen in January even the owners back Mowbray with 3 signings and we pick up 10 points from 4 games in that month. 

Now you move the goalposts and said sooner rather than later? 

Suggest you look at Nixon comment to a question about Mowbray's future over the weekend

Why does signing 3 players represent them showing faith in Mowbray?

Two of those vaunted signings are short term loans. Without knowing the financial details behind those deals we cannot say exactly what 'commitment' they made in January but let's not make out like they flashed the cash to back their man. He was given licence to wheel and deal, sending a few out on loan including Harry Chapman and bringing a couple of teenagers in until the end of the season. Net spend there probably not much if anything.

The Pickering one is unusual but I'm not sure it represents them showing faith in Mowbray in particular. Nor does it stop Mowbray being fired. If he's that good a young prospect then any manager would look forward to working with him upon his arrival.

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

So they reckon Rovers are going to bring him in as manager? Do they have substance for that thought? Or is tmit what he thinks?

There's a feeling with some fans that after almost four years there, maybe both Neil and PNE need a change and that Neil would jump at an opportunity with Rovers.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You were convince it would happen in January even the owners back Mowbray with 3 signings and we pick up 10 points from 4 games in that month. 

Now you move the goalposts and said sooner rather than later? 

Suggest you look at Nixon comment to a question about Mowbray's future over the weekend

Surely, Friday's sh1t show and Mowbray's attitude has convinced even you that it's time for a change.  FFS, Gallagher at right back has to be a defining moment. 

See my comments to RoversClitheroe re Neil.

At 39, he's still young and hungry and he's proven in recent times he's got what it takes to get a team into the PL.  You would think it would be very appealing to the Raos.

Wouldn't be my choice but, IMO, would be a HUGE improvement on Mowbray as Neil has shown he can VERY QUICKLY organise a team.

For what it's worth, I think Mowbray will be gone soon and even by the end of the month.

Edited by Mercer

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

It's quite amusing.

Relative of mine who told me he thought Neil would be appointed Rovers' manager before end of Jan. is even more convinced that it will happen sooner rather than later - PNE's win on Friday demonstrating Neil can get results quickly (no slow build or evolution for him) despite wholesale changes.  

He does have good PNE connections and is employed in what is deemed to be a profession of sobriety!  He doesn't bullsh1t and when he speaks I tend to listen!

Whilst Neil wouldn't be my choice, I think he's miles ahead of Mowbray.

It'd be like replacing Barry Chuckle with Paul Chuckle.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why does signing 3 players represent them showing faith in Mowbray?

Two of those vaunted signings are short term loans. Without knowing the financial details behind those deals we cannot say exactly what 'commitment' they made in January but let's not make out like they flashed the cash to back their man. He was given licence to wheel and deal, sending a few out on loan including Harry Chapman and bringing a couple of teenagers in until the end of the season. Net spend there probably not much if anything.

The Pickering one is unusual but I'm not sure it represents them showing faith in Mowbray in particular. Nor does it stop Mowbray being fired. If he's that good a young prospect then any manager would look forward to working with him upon his arrival.

If the owners have no faith in Mowbray they wouldn't had authorised 3 signings in the January window. Plus comments made by Kamy on here about Venkys likely Mowbray and those 2 journalists over the weekend tell you Mowbray is safe.  

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

There's a feeling with some fans that after almost four years there, maybe both Neil and PNE need a change and that Neil would jump at an opportunity with Rovers.

Surely, Friday's sh1t show and Mowbray's attitude has convinced even you that it's time for a change.  FFS, Gallagher at right back has to be a defining moment. 

See my comments to RoversClitheroe re Neil.

At 39, he's still young and hungry and he's proven in recent times he's got what it takes to get a team into the PL.  You would think it would be very appealing to the Raos.

Wouldn't be my choice but, IMO, would be a HUGE improvement on Mowbray as Neil has shown he can VERY QUICKLY organise a team.

For what it's worth, I think Mowbray will be gone soon and even by the end of the month.

Like I said Mercer before, I am undecided on his future. 

On Neil, He impressed me at Norwich in the championship. But not Premier League. 

I gave you my shortlist but we already seen the list of managers from a certain agency and if thats our options to replace Mowbray with then its a very poor list of options tbh. The list was posted by Miller11 weeks/months ago

I don't see Mowbray going any time from the Rovers job. 

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

it was in that moment that I finally had enough. 
I have defended Mowbray a hell of a lot in the past but there is always a moment where you think “this manager has had it” - Gallagher at RB was it. 

Do you think he forgot about needing a RB or do you actually think he intended to play him there? Honestly, I don’t know 

Whatever it was it was stupid but, even worse, when he looked good he shipped him off. I couldn’t believe my eyes. 

Change happens naturally and I do think it is time Rovers looked for the next chapter. I’ll always be thankful for Mowbray bringing about a sense of normality. He has signed a few good players here too. We have a nice squad, no trouble makers or chancers and it looks like a real football team. Unfortunately it’s on Saturdays he is at his worst and that is unforgivable. 

• Like 4

Was Mowbray questioned on the Gallagher at RB fiasco post match? Not seen him directly address the issue, he comes across as particularly spikey and grumpy after defeats and ive seen Rich Sharpe defend himself a few times saying that he regularly asks about the wide strikers, false 9s etc in the past and its been explained, so I do wonder if journalists thought better rather than even asking him. 

It’s the change in demeanour in recent weeks that is interesting. A real sense of him losing that ‘jumpers for goalposts’, ‘Mr Football’ routine, currently it looks and sounds like a bloke going through the motions.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If the owners have no faith in Mowbray they wouldn't had authorised 3 signings in the January window. Plus comments made by Kamy on here about Venkys likely Mowbray and those 2 journalists over the weekend tell you Mowbray is safe. 

I've no doubt he's safe but I'd say signing players is more likely to lead to a sacking rather than preventing it. We've got worse!

23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s the change in demeanour in recent weeks that is interesting. A real sense of him losing that ‘jumpers for goalposts’, ‘Mr Football’ routine, currently it looks and sounds like a bloke going through the motions.

Bayes said as much after the game.  A cynic might say that Mowbray was more fed up after that loss because it was on Sky and his team were humbled in front of a lot more people than normal. The national media myth that he plays good football was exposed for what is is. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Do you think he forgot about needing a RB or do you actually think he intended to play him there? Honestly, I don’t know 

I thought he maybe got his squad numbers mixed up and he meant to sub Gallagher when Elliott went on and was then going to bring Nyambe off for Harwood-Bellis. Being so far away from the action and the fourth official, and not paying too much attention, it took him a while realise who had actually left the field in the first instance.- If that is the case it's a sackable offence.

On the other hand, if he intended to play Gallagher at right back that's also a sackable offence!

Beyond a joke now.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I thought he maybe got his squad numbers mixed up and he meant to sub Gallagher when Elliott went on and was then going to bring Nyambe off for Harwood-Bellis. Being so far away from the action and the fourth official, and not paying too much attention, it took him a while realise who had actually left the field in the first instance.- If that is the case it's a sackable offence.

On the other hand, if he intended to play Gallagher at right back that's also a sackable offence!

Beyond a joke now.

He spent £5m on him too, managers have been sacked for less.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Cynical hat on again but I see that they've just announced John Buckley has signed a "long term" deal. If I didn't know better I'd say this announcement ties in with the increasing pressure and scrutiny on Mowbray from the fans.

Sparks will be delighted. I think he was worried we'd lose him to a Prem club. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Bayes said as much after the game.  A cynic might say that Mowbray was more fed up after that loss because it was on Sky and his team were humbled in front of a lot more people than normal. The national media myth that he plays good football was exposed for what is is. 

He shouldn’t worry about that, doesn’t matter how many times we stink out the place on Sky, the same old ‘has his teams playing good football’ tropes will be trotted out next time we’re on...

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That’s Mani isn’t it? Bucko‘s number one fan. 

Nope. Hate to burst your bubble but I’ve never really rated him.

15 months ago I said that i knew the club rated him as the best young player they had. They had fielded enquiries from PL clubs for him and there were two PL clubs there in the lounge who were at the match to watch him. The numbers being handed about in terms of what it would take to get him was  “8 figures” (direct quote). At the time Buckley hadn’t played much at all in the first team and so I didn’t get it and basically passed on the info.

In fairness, since that day my info has been proven right in terms of what they think about him as he is the most used player of any from the u23’s and they compliment him at every opportunity. I still haven’t seen in him what they do but that’s the reality of this matter.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nope. Hate to burst your bubble but I’ve never really rated him.

15 months ago I said that i knew the club rated him as the best young player they had. They had fielded enquiries from PL clubs for him and there were two PL clubs there in the lounge who were at the match to watch him. The numbers being handed about in terms of what it would take to get him was  “8 figures” (direct quote). At the time Buckley hadn’t played much at all in the first team and so I didn’t get it and basically passed on the info.

In fairness, since that day my info has been proven right in terms of what they think about him as he is the most used player of any from the u23’s and they compliment him at every opportunity. I still haven’t seen in him what they do but that’s the reality of this matter.

Don't want to burst your bubble but you do know this site has a search function don't you?

Or when you said 'you loved Bucko' you meant it literally?

On Mowbray I've been wondering recently if he would have been regarded as fondly by the owners and sections of the fan base if, instead of being relegated, he'd succeeded in his originally allotted task of keeping us up then followed that up with the same finishes of 15th, 10th and another likely mid table finish.

To met I reckon that would actually  have been slightly more of an achievement but I suspect it would have been generally regarded as bang average at best and pretty damp poor at worst.

The heavily bankrolled promotion from League 1 seems to have given a distorted view of Mowbray's managerial capabilities. Whilst he deserved credit for it it would have been a colossal failure had we not been promoted on that budget.

• Like 2

To be honest pretty much every reason the 'Mowbray in' group give for wanting him to stay revolves around side issues or non-footballing issues.

Getting us out of League One 3 years ago - a good job yes - but not relevant to 2021 and our future if we are an upwardly looking/mobile club or planning on continuing to lose 20 million a year - for that sort of money we simply have to be looking forward rather than behind and looking to the Prem rather than being happy with mid-table. If we were breaking even, selling our best players or balancing the books with minimal debt like Brentford, Preston, Millwall and co. then there might be more patience to float around at this level.

That Mowbray has delivered stability/sanity/been better than Coyle - again all might be true but there's something wrong if these are the best arguments for keeping him. Venkys are meant to have learned tough lessons and Mowbray will leave of his own volition sooner or later even if we don't sack him. So what happens then?

He's put in place scouting/recruitment/coaching that we didn't have before - again all maybe true - but why does that prevent another manager doing the same or progressing further? Why is he the only manager in the world willing or able to do these things? Are we supposed to believe that nobody else would have signed a few decent players, bought some computers and drones and employed the services of a European scout? I mean these are bog standard elements of 21st century football not reinventing the wheel yet Mowbray would have people think he's a pioneer in management.

For me it comes down to this - loyalty only gets you so far in this game. Make no mistake if by some miracle Mowbray was offered a Premier League job tomorrow or indeed even at his beloved Middlesbrough or some 'massive' club like Stoke or Forest (I jest) then he'd be on the motorway in no time. Then we would have to find a new manager potentially at a much more difficult or inconvenient time and we'd get nothing for our loyalty to him. Likewise he might decide in 6-12 months that he's had enough of the pressures of management and want to go and retire and spend time with his wife and kids. Again that's fair enough, but we'd be in the same boat as firing him only at a more difficult point.

At least if it is done between now and April we can take our time weighing up options, move when one becomes available and approach the market from a position of strength rather than weakness.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 08:15, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ll find it’s an opinion. I love Bucko. I’ve been harping on about him for  months but I’m not sure he even touched the ball until he scored the winner. The match 100% turned on Tosins goal.

I agree with and like quite a bit of your stuff and you talk sense. But ultimately your post last night was wrong. The manager had a good day yesterday. He set a team up well to nullify and better a decent side. He made proactive substitutes before their lucky goal and both Graham and Rothwell were positive influences on the match. His summer signing Tosin (who was absolutely amazing) gets the equaliser and the young lad who he’s had practicing his finishing all week comes on and gets the winner.

By somehow spinning this into yet another negative view on Mowbray it just weakens your / our argument. Because any person at the game today will accept that he did his job well.

Does that mean he’s the right man to take us on? Probably not. 

Ah....bless

• Like 5

The squad Mowbray has helped put together is light years away from Coyles misfits.

Yes it wasn't all clownpants doing but a better manager would've kept us up over a season. Mowbray included, however some of the stuff churned out on the pitch like that mixed up rudderless effort the other night isn't much different to what the doughnut botherer served up.