BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Says everything when I feel like I've really enjoyed, and perhaps even needed, the last 8 days not thinking about Tony fucking Mowbray. It's not even Rovers that stresses me out now, it's our utterly inept manager.

Problem is once he goes - and I feel like we're not too far away from it now - then there'll almost certainly something else to worry about, as unless Venkys get very lucky and/or break from their tradition of making ever single incorrect decision possible, then we'll be forever mid table, or God forbid flirting with relegation. 

The only thing that keeps me going is that football goes in cycles, our time will come again, I just hope I still care by then - and the fact I still care after the last decade of utter shit means I almost certainly will. 

• Like 4

Really poor list when shown like that. Downing in 4th would deserve that place on his first year even though he has just

Not sure how Jacob Davenport is above Richie Smallwood, he might well be a better player but the former has barely kicked a ball in 3 years and the latter was a big part in our promotion.

Probably put Smallwood above the likes of Holtby, Rothwell and Johnson too, none of whom have done enough in a combined 7 years of service to suggest that if any of them went, they would be huge blows to us. Even Dolan in 5th was a signing that Mowbray didnt suggest, and even though he has massively exceeded expectations in terms of game time, he is still very raw and hasnt contributed that much of tangible and thus wouldnt be 5th out of 26 for most managers.

Brereton has to be at the bottom all things considered really.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even Dolan in 5th was a signing that Mowbray didnt suggest,

That's why Rovers have scouting and recruitment department at the club? To find hidden gems which Dolan is.  I was at the Under 18's cup game with Rovers and PNE, and Dolan didn't stand out but thats why you don't base an scouting report on one game but a series of games. 

Why would Mowbray be scouting a Preston under 18's for a first team player? 

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton has to be at the bottom all things considered really.

why is that? 

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why Rovers have scouting and recruitment department at the club? To find hidden gems which Dolan is.  I was at the Under 18's cup game with Rovers and PNE, and Dolan didn't stand out but thats why you don't base an scouting report on one game but a series of games. 

why is that? 

I was pointing out that it is not a good reflection on Mowbray that his supposedly 5th best signing of 26 is a young kid that he played no part in the signing of, that hasnt contributed THAT much really, but has played far more than expected.

Why is Brereton bottom of the list? Because he cost 7 million pounds and has ranged from laughable to average. And had he not cost so much which is a fee that requires justifying now, no one would be arsed if he left on a free next season. Obviously he has contributed more than the likes of Leutwiler, Gladwin, Hart etc but they were a slither of the expenditure of Brereton.

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why is that? 

I have it on good authority that it was this match that Mowbray saw Dolan as it was the youth cup,  and one of the scouts informed Mowbray he'd been released.by the nobbers a bit later on. Mowbray told them to sign him for the 23s but he impressed in pre season so got a chance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I have it on good authority that it was this match that Mowbray saw Dolan as it was the youth cup,  and one of the scouts informed Mowbray he'd been released.by the nobbers a bit later on. Mowbray told them to sign him for the 23s but he impressed in pre season so got a chance.

Really like the kid, sure, he has a lot to work on but his enthusiasm and work ethic is second to none. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19193238.la-galaxy-hope-derrick-williams-will-beat-rovers-fitness-projection/

Williams in contention in the next week to 10 days. 

What is the story with Rovers medical department? Mowbray was saying he wouldn't play this season. Sounds like he could have played at least 6 games 

Just complete bull covering the fact he was getting fit for his move here whilst we were struggling for defenders.

Must be 4 or 5 now under Mowbray who've been able to sort themselves out whilst still being paid by Rovers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We have to give him credit for that then to be fair.

• Like 1

“We’re doing pretty good, Derrick is close. We hope to have him in the mix within the next week and starting to progress towards match minutes.”

It does say this, so it is unclear still how close he is to fitness, it doesnt sound like he will be ready to be considered for games in anything close to a week.

Either way, even if there is a semblance of bollocks again in what has come from Mowbray's mouth, I am not bothered that Williams has gone and I dont think he will be particularly missed at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I was pointing out that it is not a good reflection on Mowbray that his supposedly 5th best signing of 26 is a young kid that he played no part in the signing of, that hasnt contributed THAT much really, but has played far more than expected.

He authorised the signing. We have recruitment department for a reason. To find players. 

Thats your opinion that he hasn't contributed that much really. Do the data and stats back that up? 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He authorised the signing. We have recruitment department for a reason. To find players. 

Thats your opinion that he hasn't contributed that much really. Do the data and stats back that up? 

I know it is my opinion, that is the purpose of a messageboard. He has been a huge bonus, and has massively exceeded expectations, for a player expected to play for the reserves.

My opinion is pretty simple to understand, the fact that it can even be argued that Dolan is a better signing than 21 of the 25 players that Mowbray has himself chosen shows how bad recruitment has been.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19193238.la-galaxy-hope-derrick-williams-will-beat-rovers-fitness-projection/

What is the story with Rovers medical department? Mowbray was saying he wouldn't play this season. Sounds like he could have played at least 6 games 

My belief is that Williams was on his way last summer. Something happened that scuppered it. Either we tried to sell and nobody coughed up the cash, or a deal fell through, or Mowbray changed his mind after deciding Williams was going to be one of our CBs. Whatever it was I think Williams' career here was over then and this season was only ever going to be him going through the motions and counting down the days until he became a free agent and could jet off to the US.

Williams has had a pretty good injury record up to the last 18 months and since then has barely featured. 

After he played a few games, which were forced upon us due to the Ayala and Wharton absences, he got another injury and it was abundantly clear then that he wasn't going to feature for us again. Not a ligament or bone injury a la Dack but a mysterious muscle injury yet one which they quickly felt was going to keep him out for a whole 6 months.

After what's gone on here I simply don't believe it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

My belief is that Williams was on his way last summer. Something happened that scuppered it. Either we tried to sell and nobody coughed up the cash, or a deal fell through, or Mowbray changed his mind after deciding Williams was going to be one of our CBs. Whatever it was I think Williams' career here was over then and this season was only ever going to be him going through the motions and counting down the days until he became a free agent and could jet off to the US.

Williams has had a pretty good injury record up to the last 18 months and since then has barely featured. 

After he played a few games, which were forced upon us due to the Ayala and Wharton absences, he got another injury and it was abundantly clear then that he wasn't going to feature for us again. Not a ligament or bone injury a la Dack but a mysterious muscle injury yet one which they quickly felt was going to keep him out for a whole 6 months.

After what's gone on here I simply don't believe it.

yup - clear as day.

• Backroom
17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A touch of the Ryan Nelsen's about this deal imo.

• Like 2

Gladwin, Samuel, Smallwood now Williams.

Maybe even throw Chapman in there, TM and co's football holding company.

No wonder players like him it's all about them, might be nice if it was all about points and progress for a change.

22 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Really? I think we're being prepared for another season of possession-based tedium. 

Yeah I do think he'll go in the summer. Whether that's because I can't bring myself to think about another season of woeful underperformance is another matter 

• Like 1