BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

Lol, Dozzell hasn't even been that impressive at Ipswich. Also missed a lot of game time due to injury, so will fit right in with our philosophy of signing players who enjoy spending time in the treatment room. 

• Like 2

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Dozzell is a good player if the signing is true, but I would imagine it's bs.

On further reading Ipswich fans saying it's from an extremely unreliable source and from that account said "made enquiries".

If you read even further the guy who started the thread says he didn't get it from the 'unreliable' source. The Dozzell link has come up before anyway so it's not new. 

If he is here to stay, I don't think he'll be making the signings, and he will accept that.

He's lost a lot of his clout with the owners and, to keep his job, he will do as he's told when it comes to recruitment.

That is why the players who are leaving this summer, know they are leaving and that decision has gone above TM, i.e Johnson, Evans, Holtby, Downing and Bennett.

Fact is, results aside, he's proved himself unreliable in his recruitment. Breo and Gallagher outweigh Dack and Arma. Ayala outweighs, well, there hasn't been a successful permanent defensive signing in his tenure. Kaminski wasn't TM.

It appeared, in fact, in January he was in the dark about the Pickering signing, so that process has already begun.

So, he can discuss transfers all he wants, but he knows that he isn't in control of it. Rightly so.

6 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

If he is here to stay, I don't think he'll be making the signings, and he will accept that.

He's lost a lot of his clout with the owners and, to keep his job, he will do as he's told when it comes to recruitment.

That is why the players who are leaving this summer, know they are leaving and that decision has gone above TM, i.e Johnson, Evans, Holtby, Downing and Bennett.

Fact is, results aside, he's proved himself unreliable in his recruitment. Breo and Gallagher outweigh Dack and Arma. Ayala outweighs, well, there hasn't been a successful permanent defensive signing in his tenure. Kaminski wasn't TM.

It appeared, in fact, in January he was in the dark about the Pickering signing, so that process has already begun.

So, he can discuss transfers all he wants, but he knows that he isn't in control of it. Rightly so.

But then he gets all grumpy and doesn't play his best team.

As seen by the past 2 years of his tenure.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So they don’t trust him on recruitment, they have reduced his power, ‘others’ are making signings, the results are significantly worse... so he’s being kept on, because?

same as 2011/2012, they are confused and he "works" long hours and is a "nice" man, the ideal traits for a broiler manager in Venky world

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So they don’t trust him on recruitment, they have reduced his power, ‘others’ are making signings, the results are significantly worse... so he’s being kept on, because?

Probably the equivalent of brining in snake oil salesman Senior in January 2017 to lead us to survival rather than just sacking the inept manager.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Just his latest goal post moving scheme this i'd wager. He bemoaned that we needed experience to blend with youth and get us into the upper end of the league. So they backed him with wages for Downing, Hotby, johnson, Ayala and the Trybull & Douglas loans. Most of those have proved underwhelming or made of glass.

It seems that whilst that was going on someone has been driving the signings of good young players. Rumours of them advising against some of TMs experience signings in favour of youth instead.

So now i reckon he's just switching tack and getting with it in the pursuit of youth. This has all the hallmarks of one of his little black book connection players. I think it'll form the basis of his summer recruitment. Young/cheap and known to him.

He's a sly old dog.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

That seems to be the ultimate winner here.

He has it, in abundance.

But not enough of it to spend money or be in charge of recruitment for his own team, seemingly?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, bringdunnback said:

That seems to be the ultimate winner here.

He has it, in abundance.

Not sure in what way if what you said previously is true.

Trust to get consistent results and make us a competitive top 10 team ? - Fail

Trust his judgment on signing experienced freebies who deliver value for money on their wages ? - Fail

Trust him to fashion a best 11 and the team to grow ? - Fail

Trust him to do as he's told, play every player in his squad regularly somehow. Fit in players others want fitting in. And just generally be their latest human shield ? - Pass with flying colours.

Seems that's probably more than enough for this shower.

There can only really be one reason for the constant changes to formation and the bizarre rotation of players and that is, he doesn't actually know what he is doing.

If we had a strong and distinctive playing style that actually worked, why wouldn't you do everything you could to ensure we did that week in week out?

Mowbray has proven time and time again that he is just some bloke playing darts in the dark, and because there are more capable managers out there who can plan effectively and get a tune from even less able players, the hit and hope approach has been found sadly lacking over the course of the season.

Now we have a likely situation where we don't even have the backbone of a full side to plan around over the close season, which means next year will have to start with even more uncertainty than this season is ending. Only one way forward from here, I'm afraid - bin the gurning chump and get someone in who actually knows what they are doing.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

There can only really be one reason for the constant changes to formation and the bizarre rotation of players and that is, he doesn't actually know what he is doing.

He was keeping the squad fresh to ensure we got promotion... 😂

53 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

If we had a strong and distinctive playing style that actually worked, why wouldn't you do everything you could to ensure we did that week in week out?

Mowbray has proven time and time again that he is just some bloke playing darts in the dark, and because there are more capable managers out there who can plan effectively and get a tune from even less able players, the hit and hope approach has been found sadly lacking over the course of the season.

Now we have a likely situation where we don't even have the backbone of a full side to plan around over the close season, which means next year will have to start with even more uncertainty than this season is ending. Only one way forward from here, I'm afraid - bin the gurning chump and get someone in who actually knows what they are doing.

More to it than that i'd suggest he knows exactly what he's doing. He's keeping players onside, agents off his case, doing people favours and is able to hide behind 'squad development' when challenged.

It's the perfect storm for him, we hit on something that works then go on a little run. we lose one then another crazy cycle of rotation begins until he hits on something else.

As long as one or two players look like they are going to be worth money it could go on forever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

When has the silence from India ever been anything but deafening? Hope you're right but it seems like a lot of wishful thinking based on nothing at all. 

The communication between India and the Ops team is fairly strong. There’s very little that they propose which isn’t signed off over there....I’m wishful as a Rovers fan, yes. But I KNOW that the Comms and spending have been stopped. The pitch is a public example of that but it’s more obvious around ongoing projects which have also been halted.

No one can be 100% sure if it will happen or not. But ‘they’ are expecting a change..

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

The communication between India and the Ops team is fairly strong. There’s very little that they propose which isn’t signed off over there....I’m wishful as a Rovers fan, yes. But I KNOW that the Comms and spending have been stopped. The pitch is a public example of that but it’s more obvious around ongoing projects which have also been halted.

No one can be 100% sure if it will happen or not. But ‘they’ are expecting a change..

Well, that's what they did with Bowyer just before they potted him so here's hoping. I can't stand another season of Mowbray's excuse bingo. 

• Like 3

Could just be a severe budget cutting exercise though and don't forget the last one which started under GB lead to a fire sale. 

This squad is ripe to start selling now even if the prices they have in mind might be impacted by the pandemic. There's still a couple of years running costs could be recouped but it would need a lot of sales. If they've borrowed that money to pump in it'll need paying back at some point.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Who are "they?" And which projects have been curtailed?

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Could just be a severe budget cutting exercise though and don't forget the last one which started under GB lead to a fire sale. 

This squad is ripe to start selling now even if the prices they have in mind might be impacted by the pandemic. There's still a couple of years running costs could be recouped but it would need a lot of sales. If they've borrowed that money to pump in it'll need paying back at some point.

Im not sure that it is ripe for selling to be fair. Bar Armstrong who will benefit Newcastle almost as much as us, who else could we sell?

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who are "they?" And which projects have been curtailed?

Im not sure that it is ripe for selling to be fair. Bar Armstrong who will benefit Newcastle almost as much as us, who else could we sell?

Lenihen, Travis, Nyambie to start with.  Like i said might not get the big bucks but a sale is a sale, with the famous add on's. 

40 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Lenihen, Travis, Nyambie to start with.  Like i said might not get the big bucks but a sale is a sale, with the famous add on's. 

Assuming that we activate the year on Nyambes contract, both him and Lenihan still only have one year left. Plus all 3 are decent Championship players, certainly not Premier League ones and theres not much money to be buying players at this level, plus I dont think that any are really top end Championship players.

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming that we activate the year on Nyambes contract, both him and Lenihan still only have one year left. Plus all 3 are decent Championship players, certainly not Premier League ones and theres not much money to be buying players at this level, plus I dont think that any are really top end Championship players.

I could see all 3 attracting interest from top end Championship clubs if the money was cheap. There could still be a guaranteed 10 million including reduced initial fees, add on's and sell on's for those.  Yes they are worth far more to us but a fire sale is just that.

Depends on how dire the situation might get, add in Armstrong then there might be 20 million there. It probably won't happen but stranger things have here.

• Like 2