BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City away

20 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

I honestly believe when we get a fully fit 11 on the pitch and have them playing together consistently for a number of weeks we have a team that compete to be top 6. 

In this current season no club in the Championship is going to be putting out a fully fit 11 for a number of weeks. I know Mowbray's disciples like to use the current situation as an excuse but the simple fact is that the other 23 clubs are all in the same boat. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Look at the players with have out injured

We are playing good attacking football - it will pay dividends eventually

Wait until the new lads settle in

Wait until Dack is back

Can't really judge due to covid

Victims of 'new manager bounce' against Forest

Watford have a £30 million player

Play like that every week and we will win more than we lose

Reading are flying - excellent team

Look at the stats - very even game

Swansea are second in the league and we matched them for the most part.

Anyone got any more excuses to add to the list???

Mowbray out, Venkys out.- they've both had long enough at our club.

Bournemouth just relegated from the Premiership have an expensive squad.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Whilst we have suffered injuries, that is true, so has everyone else. We’ve also suffered five defeats from our opening nine games. 
That can’t only be attributed to injuries I’m afraid. If we want to get promoted, we need to tighten up in a big way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Whilst there are many comments about Mowbray having been a centre half it should also be remembered that Venus too was a centre half. That said Danny Graham is on record as saying they have differences on how we should play.

I thought that Venus was a fullback. Either way a defender.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see that Mowbray cannot set up a defence. I said a couple of seasons ago, probably during one of Mowbray's dismal runs, that he should get rid of his coaching staff and bring in new ones who have different ideas and defensive nous.

Mowbray isn't going anywhere, neither are Venkys. 

1 minute ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I thought that Venus was a fullback. Either way a defender.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see that Mowbray cannot set up a defence. I said a couple of seasons ago, probably during one of Mowbray's dismal runs, that he should get rid of his coaching staff and bring in new ones who have different ideas and defensive nous.

Mowbray isn't going anywhere, neither are Venkys. 

He could play along the back line but I refereed him a few times as Mowbrays centre back partner. Interestingly they were different characters as players. Venus was a moany type, always questioning decisions whilst Mowbray was generally accepting of them.

• Like 1

Look at the early part of last season, look at the throw the towel in efforts after lockdown barring the first game.  Then look at what he was saying and what some fans were buying into.

It's all the same again and no amount of time or money will change it, it is what it is and it's a reflecting of the manager and coaching staff.  Club as a whole probably, yes it's the hope that keeps everyone going even them.  The reality is we know how it goes because that's what these methods always lead to difficult circumstances or not.

Mowbray has been unfortunate with a few injuries and everyone is suffering the current climate. However he's been VERY fortunate to be allowed to keep his best players season on season, have some good youth available AND be able to keep adding to the squad. At two points he was able to spend multi million pound fees. 

The squad he's had available for the last 2 games has been good enough to get results that's a fact.  The only real questionable one is the keeper, again down to the manager. He though despite not looking good hasn't been to blame for the defeats so the spotlight falls again on poor tactics and the same old 'regulars' making the same oid errors. And the glaring lack of nous in terms of getting back into games or turning them around.

'Oh reading are top we can't be expected to beat them if we go behind'  - 'Oh we haven't won at Swansea for decades can't be expecting to get anything there'

Utter bullshit mentality along with there's nothing really wrong with the tactics or defense it just isn't going our way at he min.  There's everything wrong with the attitude i'd say.

Edited by tomphil

every manager in the league will be picking up on our weaknesses,fire in accurate set pieces,let them come forward then get in between the cavernous gap between midfield and defence,out muscle them and it`s a guaranteed 3 points,games are not going to get any easier unless mowbray changes this stupid formation which is kamikaze against any half decent side

Whilst that may be true simongarnerisgod and there are certainly weaknesses to work on, not many teams will be as ruthless in taking advantage of them as Watford, Bournemouth,  Swansea etc. Nor will they be as able to repel us offensively.

I just think there's more to be positive about than not in the current situation, whilst accepting there's room for improvement.

Edited by Atko's Engine

• Backroom
6 hours ago, cesus said:

For me, the legacy of Mowbray not sorting the defence........ as he has consistently had an awful defence.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

....the guy was a defender and this makes it worse that he can't put a defence together.  

2 hours ago, 47er said:

This manager can't set up teams able to defend. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

a former centre half that can’t set up a defence, conceding too many goals. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Just one reason mate, a defence thats incapable of keeping teams out.  

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

A blind man on a galloping horse can see that Mowbray cannot set up a defence. 

Seems like there's an echo in here.

The same echo I've been hearing for years and years - (it's a hell of a big cave we all inhabit, and boy is it dark!)

So how come us average joe fans can see this clear as day, but the experienced professionals paid millions of pounds struggle to see the light?!

We all joke how we concede 2 goals every game, and therefore need 3 goals to win.

Last 5 matches = 10 goals conceded (And I suggest if Coventry hadn't gone down to 10 men so early they would have bagged 1 or 2 goals too).

So, I console myself with the notion that we're good attackers nowadays, we bang in the goals right?! That's what it feels like.

Last 6 matches = We've been nilled 3 times.

So we're only scoring in 50% of matches. 

Then my head gets in a spin.....I lose the will to live..... and come to the conclusion that we're just generally......SHIT!!

And have been for a long time. 

Then I remember how excited and optimistic i was a mere 3 weeks ago on deadline day, the anger and rage builds up inside of me, and I go sit in the corner of a dark room and gently rock. ???

Happy pre lockdown Sunday everyone! ?

• Like 3

Mowbray said in the last three transfer windows the rovers need to sort out the defence as we are conceding to many soft goals here we are years later central defenders Lenihan and Williams no change Lenihan former defensive midfielder,Williams a former left back yet our fabled scouting system was finding us proper cental defenders over the last three transfer windows yet most of Mowbrays signings seem to come as Middlesbrough rejects.  

1 hour ago, Gaz85 said:

Anyone that doesn’t acknowledge the players we have out as impacting our results/performances is showing a complete lack of understanding of the game (or most likely just using to fuel their Mowbray out agenda). To think you can just roll out 11 players every Saturday and Tuesday and get a result with no time to plan and prepare is quite frankly ridiculous. I’m not for one minute excusing some of the mistakes we have made (nor has the manager I might add).

I honestly believe when we get a fully fit 11 on the pitch and have them playing together consistently for a number of weeks we have a team that compete to be top 6. Let’s judge then.

So what was the excuse all last season and the first 5 games of this season?

I don't dispute the suggestion that the number of absences is a problem. But conceding soft goals is a recurring problem irrespective of personnel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So what was the excuse all last season and the first 5 games of this season?

I don't dispute the suggestion that the number of absences is a problem. But conceding soft goals is a recurring problem irrespective of personnel.

I’m not bothered about the past. I’m looking at the present and future state. In Kaminski, Douglas and Ayala I honestly believe we have significantly strengthened our back line (disagree?) The problem is we have not been able to play them all together. The key to a solid defence is consistency in selection over a period of time.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The left back choice was admittedly very limited today, the only real alternative was Williams LB, Wharton CB. My point regarding the full backs was regarding the choice prior to today to at times choose Rankin Costello or indeed Bennett over Nyambe at full back.

If there was little choice but to play Evans, firstly that would add further questions over the signing of Davenport, who Mowbray paid money for and hasnt started in 2 and a half years now. 2 options, play Buckley there, who I question the readiness of, or play Evans but in a midfield 2. The 4-3-3 shouldnt be above reproach, the results show that, and Evans is very limited, so have him and Trybull sitting deep and allow Holtby more scope to go forward perhaps.

I think we should have signed Downing early in the summer who would have been a better option in either position. But of course that wasnt a choice today.

All in all, the full back issue was one relating more to games prior to today, and the Evans point was more a shape issue, and again not really key to the overall points I was making.

Rankin Costello playing right back in certain games has worked like Wycombe and Derby games. 

Yes you could have Williams at left back I guess with Wharton at centre back could have been an option. 

I agree on your Davenport point. Evans got forward yesterday and didnt he has a chance or two to score. 

On Downing, We offered him a contract which he didnt accept. I don't think we should be sign him now either, No training and proper match fitness so would be a pointless signing for me

19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Serious question, do we not have a young  player in the u23's who is actually a LB rather than play another youngster barely out of the U23's who isn't a LB there?

Lewis Thompson is the under 23's left back at the minute I think. Good prospect 

18 hours ago, rigger said:

Or you drop Armstrong, I realise he is our top goal scorer, but he has also missed as many if not more really good chances. What have we got to loose by trying something drastic.

Drop Armstrong after he scored 9 goals in 10 games? how logically is that to drop your best striker and the player who has been scoring goals?

18 hours ago, rigger said:

What exactly have you seen to lead you to that conclusion.

Just look at Social media comments on Facebook, twiyyer and on Rovers fans sites where I would say the majority of fans are backing Mowbray. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Whilst there are many comments about Mowbray having been a centre half it should also be remembered that Venus too was a centre half. That said Danny Graham is on record as saying they have differences on how we should play.

How much of Danny Graham's comments was his displeasure at not being a regular starter in the last season here? 

Also he didn't go into much detail did he? So without that detail can we really comment much?

43 minutes ago, rossyrover said:

Mowbray said in the last three transfer windows the rovers need to sort out the defence as we are conceding to many soft goals here we are years later central defenders Lenihan and Williams no change Lenihan former defensive midfielder,Williams a former left back yet our fabled scouting system was finding us proper cental defenders over the last three transfer windows yet most of Mowbrays signings seem to come as Middlesbrough rejects.  

We signed Ayala to be regular starter and most fans were happy with that signing. 

We bought in Douglas who fans seems happy with. I would have prefer Ryan Manning who gone to Swansea for 250k fee I think. I feel we missed out massively there and Mowbray should have gone for Manning as its sorted the left back permanent. 

We signed Kaminski who has performed and looks a good signing. Pears was always coming as back up here, Tho I do wonder if we need Pears as a 3rd keeper signing

We have been unlucky with injuries granted, but when that happens you adopt your formation and your tactics to suit.

Mowbray is, and always will be, a stubborn bugger. He's adamant this new 'Liverpool' formation is the future of our club and will play it no matter what. In principle I do like it, I also think it can work, but only when we have a fully fit squad to pick from. If you're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow there's no shame in getting 2 solid banks of 4 in there and make us hard to beat.

Little niggles seem to be taking too long to recover from too.

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Mowbray is, and always will be, a stubborn bugger.

Agreed, he is. See Gally.

He's adamant this new 'Liverpool' formation is the future of our club and will play it no matter what. In principle I do like it, I also think it can work, but only when we have a fully fit squad to pick from.

It can work, but it seems to leave our defenders even more exposed than the 4-2-3-1 for some reason. And our defence was shite playing 4-2-3-1

If you're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow there's no shame in getting 2 solid banks of 4 in there and make us hard to beat.

Indeed, but that takes us back to the 'stubborn bugger', he'd rather lose 6-0 playing his way than admit it's not working.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

We could play 8 at the back but if you don't do the basics like marking and challenging it doesn't matter a jot.

The personnel issues have been the same for 4 years now and the mistakes persist, unfortunately Mowbray won't give up on polishing turds.

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Look at the players with have out injured

We are playing good attacking football - it will pay dividends eventually

Wait until the new lads settle in

Wait until Dack is back

Can't really judge due to covid

Victims of 'new manager bounce' against Forest

Watford have a £30 million player

Play like that every week and we will win more than we lose

Reading are flying - excellent team

Look at the stats - very even game

Swansea are second in the league and we matched them for the most part.

Anyone got any more excuses to add to the list???

Mowbray out, Venkys out.- they've both had long enough at our club.

5 hour trip down the motorway to South Wales.

Good job he isnt the manager at Carlisle - 702 mile round trip to Exeter yesterday.

His constant excuses and negative behaviour is having a detrimental effect on the club, the players and it's fanbase.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

5 hour trip down the motorway to South Wales.

Good job he isnt the manager at Carlisle - 702 mile round trip to Exeter yesterday.

His constant excuses and negative behaviour is having a detrimental effect on the club, the players and it's fanbase.

Carlisle got beat....and the constant negativity of our fan base is having a detrimental affect on the team ?

5 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

It's clear the early season enthusiasm has evaporated amongst the majority of fans and the reason is clear and present....we have seen it all before under this Managers tenure,the excuses Ad Nauseam.

Stupid,apathetic performances and results with Players being played out of position and as a result the Team looking confused and ineffective,sometimes even looking beaten before a Ball is kicked.

It's personally boring the shyte out of me,mindnumbing...this easy street Manager does not inspire nor motivate.

We're going nowhere and I'm fed up of it.

That’s just it in a nutshell. We’ve seen it all be before , time and again, season after season. Why people think it’s going to change is beyond me. If it was it would have happened by now or at least shoots of something changing. It’s exactly the same as the day we went watching burton  only this time we have given him chances, we know exactly what’s going to happen.... nothing . That’s it. Nothingness . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That’s just it in a nutshell. We’ve seen it all be before , time and again, season after season. Why people think it’s going to change is beyond me. If it was it would have happened by now or at least shoots of something changing. It’s exactly the same as the day we went watching burton  only this time we have given him chances, we know exactly what’s going to happen.... nothing . That’s it. Nothingness . 

When did you last think  " I'm proud of the lads today, every man jack has given 100% for the cause, they can all hold their heads up high " ?

Forgot about Bell. That's eleven out.

Kaminski

Bennett Ayala Johnson Bell

Vale Travis Douglas

Dack Butterworth Rothwell

OK some Mowbray-esque out of position options you may disagree with but the Rovers "crocks when they get fit" XI would give the Rovers "team that played at Swansea" XI one heck of a good game. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello playing right back in certain games has worked like Wycombe and Derby games. 

Yes you could have Williams at left back I guess with Wharton at centre back could have been an option. 

I agree on your Davenport point. Evans got forward yesterday and didnt he has a chance or two to score. 

On Downing, We offered him a contract which he didnt accept. I don't think we should be sign him now either, No training and proper match fitness so would be a pointless signing for me

Lewis Thompson is the under 23's left back at the minute I think. Good prospect 

Drop Armstrong after he scored 9 goals in 10 games? how logically is that to drop your best striker and the player who has been scoring goals?

Just look at Social media comments on Facebook, twiyyer and on Rovers fans sites where I would say the majority of fans are backing Mowbray. 

Thompson is often mentioned and I have never seen him play but he must be a million miles from the first team. When we had no left backs last season he never even made a 9 man bench and again on Saturday we had to play a right footed winger at left back.

Evans did have a chance but never in a million years did anyone think he would take it, his shooting is so weak. 

16 minutes ago, philipl said:

Forgot about Bell. That's eleven out.

Kaminski

Bennett Ayala Johnson Bell

Vale Travis Douglas

Dack Butterworth Rothwell

OK some Mowbray-esque out of position options you may disagree with but the Rovers "crocks when they get fit" XI would give the Rovers "team that played at Swansea" XI one heck of a good game. 

Vale and Butterworth have both played one solitary cameo off the bench in a dead rubber, counting them is just getting the number up. Bell and Bennett have been the weaknesses in our side since promotion so crying over their losses seems a little bit backwards too IMO.

Dack is a big miss but one we have been without for quite a while. Travis again is a big loss as is Kaminski although Mowbray did get to pay 2 fees for goalkeepers this summer so it shouldnt be as problematic as it is. Ayala and Douglas came with big red flags over their injury record, and Douglas was really poor against Reading, whilst many were suggesting that Williams and Lenihan are the best partnership at the club a couple of games ago. Rothwell has had his best time here whilst on his sick bed after flattering to deceive throughout his Rovers career, would he make a huge difference? And Johnson has been in and out, 3 poor games for every good.

Its obviously a blow to have some absentees but Mowbray using the number 11 is whilst numerically true perhaps painting a slightly false light on the situation.