BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

26 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I know he’s probably hated here, but Appleton doing a fantastic job at Lincoln City. In all likelihood, they will be promoted to Championship. 

The Rovers job when Appleton took it on was a huge job for a young manager like Appleton was at the time. If he was going to be a success here then he needed time to sort out what was a complete mess but he was afforded little time, along with that he was badly let down by Shaw in the transfer market.  I think Appleton has shown at Oxford and now at Lincoln that he is a decent manager, the Rovers job was a case of the wrong job at the wrong time for him.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The Rovers job when Appleton took it on was a huge job for a young manager like Appleton was at the time. If he was going to be a success here then he needed time to sort out what was a complete mess but he was afforded little time, along with that he was badly let down by Shaw in the transfer market.  I think Appleton has shown at Oxford and now at Lincoln that he is a decent manager, the Rovers job was a case of the wrong job at the wrong time for him.

I came into Rovers fandom when Bowyer was hired full-time. I looked up Appleton’s record, he was 2-4-5 at Rovers... not bad, but everyone was scared to death of dropping to League 1. 

All this is guesswork of course; Mowbray won’t last forever, but I expect him to survive the season. I fully expect us to get “hot” when playoff spot is out the question, and the season is for all intents over, and he’s safe for the offseason. 

Edited by WacoRover

2 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I haven’t seen his name (& do not desire to read the whole thread), but how about Tugay? He has coaching/managerial experience at Galatasaray.

Really wouldn't want his legend status tarnished. It's already happened with Berg and it will probably happen with him under this lot.(although I will still defend Berg for all time, given the mess he inherited and the fact he wasn't given a transfer window to put his own team in place). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I came into Rovers fandom when Bowyer was hired full-time. I looked up Appleton’s record, he was 2-4-5 at Rovers... not bad, but everyone was scared to death of dropping to League 1. 

All this is guesswork of course; Mowbray won’t last forever, but I expect him to survive the season. I fully expect us to get “hot” when playoff spot is out the question, and the season is for all intents over, and he’s safe for the offseason. 

Err, the play-off spot is out of the question already.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Really wouldn't want his legend status tarnished. It's already happened with Berg and it will probably happen with him under this lot.(although I will still defend Berg for all time, given the mess he inherited and the fact he wasn't given a transfer window to put his own team in place). 

For me Berg did not tarnish his reputation. He tried his best under very difficult circumstances and failed. But there was some hope early on that had our luck been different, well it could have been a different story. 

Any club legend that comes in as gaffer keeps their status, unless they scrape the levels of Kean and Coyle. Mowbray is on a different level, I see him as an old stubborn man out of his depth and past the times. He needs to be put out of his misery but nobody is gonna do it, so he plods along falling ever further into madness. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I would argue that 2-4-5 record is pretty bad. Probably not far off Mowbrays record for the last 11 games and most of us want him gone.

The suggestion of Tugay is a bit daft, anyone following the guy on social media would see he's clearly living a life of luxury and wouldn't have the discipline to be a successful manager (who can blame him). Get away from these romanticised notions of former players coming in. It rarely works. Lampard at Chelsea the most recent example.

Equally suggestions of Hughes are odd, not done well anywhere really in the last 5-10 years. Progressive managers are the way forward for me. Wish we'd got Barnsley's before they did, clearly knows how to set a team up. Shame we don't have the infrastructure to spot a diamond in the rough like that

49 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

For me Berg did not tarnish his reputation. He tried his best under very difficult circumstances and failed. But there was some hope early on that had our luck been different, well it could have been a different story. 

Any club legend that comes in as gaffer keeps their status, unless they scrape the levels of Kean and Coyle. Mowbray is on a different level, I see him as an old stubborn man out of his depth and past the times. He needs to be put out of his misery but nobody is gonna do it, so he plods along falling ever further into madness. 

His reputation is intact with me. Sadly, from a previous debate months ago, some fans don't see it that way, mainly due to the fall out from his sacking. However, that debate is done and I have no desire to reopen it.  Wouldn't want to turn focus away from the current incumbent and his failings. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And do you honestly see Carrick leaving Utd to come here as 1st manager job? 

Lampard- derby

gerrard- rangers 

Henry- bmouth

as examples. Why wouldn’t he come here or are you in mowbrays ways of thinking that we are just Little club Blackburn rovers these days 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Lampard- derby

gerrard- rangers 

Henry- bmouth

as examples. Why wouldn’t he come here or are you in mowbrays ways of thinking that we are just Little club Blackburn rovers these days 

Spot on. 

Sick of this we can’t attract managers attitude.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Established Championship club

Recent history of Premier League football

Squad packed with quality, including 2nd highest scorer in the league and a returning Dack

No forced sales

Owner investment and no interference

Fantastic training ground

Cat A academy top of the tree in the country

Most successful club outside the top division by trophies won

Low expectations from both fans and owners

Its a dream job. If we conducted a proper recruitment process they'd be clamoring over each other for a crack at promotion here.

Quite frankly its a disgrace that they'd have us believe Mowbray is the best we can hope for.

Well done mate, absolutely. Small time mentality fans can go and support Chorley, no offence intended for Chorley 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Lampard- derby

gerrard- rangers 

Henry- bmouth

Has Henry gone to Bournemouth yet? 

Gerrard wasn't on the 1st team staff at Liverpool when he moved to Rangers. 

Lampard was recommend to Derby by Harry Redknapp and he accepted the job after talks there. Redknapp also recommend Lampard to Ipswich before Hurst was appointed there but he rejected it due to funding. 

In my opinion, Michael Carrick is a very unrealistic suggestion. We can't match his wages he is on there and why leave Man Utd 1st team coaching staff to come here. 

I came up with 5 realistic suggestions for the manager job when Mowbray leaves. But the all likebood is we will chosen someone from HSH Sports agency. anyone from that list take your choice?

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

In my opinion, Michael Carrick is a very unrealistic suggestion. We can't match his wages he is on there and why leave Man Utd 1st team coaching staff to come here. 

If he wants to be a first team manager then at some point he is going to have to leave United and in all likelihood take a wage drop. Also I doubt Michael Carrick is going to be on the bread line if he takes a wage drop, he's working in football because he obviously loves the game if he didn't want to work then he wouldn't need to do another day's work in his life. Not everything in life is about money.

Edited by Ewood Ace

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lampard was recommend to Derby by Harry Redknapp and he accepted the job after talks there. Redknapp also recommend Lampard to Ipswich before Hurst was appointed there but he rejected it due to funding. 

I came up with 5 realistic suggestions for the manager job when Mowbray leaves. But the all likebood is we will chosen someone from HSH Sports agency. anyone from that list take your choice?

Who do you think we are as club? JH Rover just put together a great list of why we're an attractive proposition. All you can come back with is waffle about how managers were recommended. Face it Chaddy. There are very clear similarities between the three managers mentioned and Carrick. Question is. Would we want Carrick. Not the other way around. 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And how do you know what wages he is  on Chaddy? Inside info?? (I believe this is your standard response to other posters, when you want to discredit their opinion) 

52 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Established Championship club

Recent history of Premier League football

Squad packed with quality, including 2nd highest scorer in the league and a returning Dack

No forced sales

Owner investment and no interference

Fantastic training ground

Cat A academy top of the tree in the country

Most successful club outside the top division by trophies won

Low expectations from both fans and owners

Its a dream job. If we conducted a proper recruitment process they'd be clamoring over each other for a crack at promotion here.

Quite frankly its a disgrace that they'd have us believe Mowbray is the best we can hope for.

Brilliant post. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who do you think carrick is going to go to in order to start his managerial career? He isn’t going to get a Man Utd or West Ham job because he is a gamble. As another said, question is more should we take a gamble on carrick and not the other way around. I don’t even know if he wants to be a manager, just felt he sounds knowledgeable in interviews I saw and had a personality I feel would work well with management. 
Your lack of ambition and pride in our club is astounding. I don’t see us as wee Blackburn, and I’d argue with anyone that said it to me 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I know he’s probably hated here, but Appleton doing a fantastic job at Lincoln City. In all likelihood, they will be promoted to Championship. 

Another former Rovers’ coach, Darren Moore, has Doncaster in the playoff places. 

I still think if the owners want promotion, they need to make Benitez an offer. He wasn’t afraid to manage Newcastle when they were in the Championship. 

I would prefer any of these three over the usual cast of characters who surface when any job is mentioned. 

Yeah Appleton was just way too young and his timing was unlucky, his fate was sealed before he even walked through the door with Shabby lurking in the shadows undermining his every decision.

Also sadly it didn't help that he had a matching dome as Kean at the time!!! he now looks much better with the rug(or is it implants🤔)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Yeah Appleton was just way too young and his timing was unlucky, his fate was sealed before he even walked through the door with Shabby lurking in the shadows undermining his every decision.

Also sadly it didn't help that he had a matching dome as Kean at the time!!! he now looks much better with the rug(or is it implants🤔)

I can’t really remember Appleton’s time here all that well to be honest. I don’t think it was impressive though, like you say, maybe just too soon. He wasn’t given long in his defence