BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Some people are saying that Ainsworth should not be considered just because he supports the Rovers. Personally I think that is a massive plus. It might not be successful, but can it be any worse than the lying bastard that we already have.

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why? 

I would be happy with an Ainsworth appointment. He is tactically aware and he shown that against us when he switch formation against us and Mowbray had no answer to it. 

I dont see him going to Preston cos they want an head coach and not manager type. 

It's about what he'd do with the players and resources he'd have available here. He prefers 433, which isn't ours with the players we've available. 

5 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

It's about what he'd do with the players and resources he'd have available here. He prefers 433, which isn't ours with the players we've available. 

Perhaps he prefers 4-3-3 because that is the best for what he has got available at Wycombe. I am not saying this is true, but it is an option.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you be happy if we did appoint him based on his CV? 

Not too sure.

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Me neither

Get a tough nut in who'll bark at our lazy, complacent squad and tell them some home truths, not a Rovers fan.

Sam or Wllder is fine.

Do we need a tough nut? I dont get that argument personally, I dont think the current squad is in need of aggression, I just think it is lacking in quality in many areas as well as obviously guidance.

The 2 managers you mentioned arent simply "tough nuts" either. Allardyce is sadly unobtainable but is a very clever manager who builds on organisation and looks to get the very maximum based on probabilities, for example set pieces. Wilder got Sheffield United up based on a fairly revolutionary formation and a settled team who knew what it was doing. Both are good when it comes to recruitment too which is critical as our squad needs gutting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I wouldn't get too hung up about that as a good few will be off. 

I would be looking at Ainsworth as a long term appointment.

It won't happen, of course. This is Venkys car crash FC.

Paul Warne, Darren Ferguson, Nigel Clough, Kenny Jackett, Chris Powell, Simon Grayson, Gary Johnson

All done well and got small clubs to the Championship and failed to keep them there/took them back down.

Why does Ainsworth warrant special attention?

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Do we need a tough nut? I dont get that argument personally, I dont think the current squad is in need of aggression, I just think it is lacking in quality in many areas as well as obviously guidance.

The 2 managers you mentioned arent simply "tough nuts" either. Allardyce is sadly unobtainable but is a very clever manager who builds on organisation and looks to get the very maximum based on probabilities, for example set pieces. Wilder got Sheffield United up based on a fairly revolutionary formation and a settled team who knew what it was doing. Both are good when it comes to recruitment too which is critical as our squad needs gutting.

As a player I wouldn't cross Allardyce or Wilder. I think our lot are soft, too easily beaten all over the pitch, and would benefit from a sharp shock that both of them would give.

I'm well aware of their other attributes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Paul Warne, Darren Ferguson, Nigel Clough, Kenny Jackett, Chris Powell, Simon Grayson, Gary Johnson

All done well and got small clubs to the Championship and failed to keep them there/took them back down.

Well, okay, but Wycombe are certainly a minnow and he got them in the Championship without a pot to p*ss in.

It's the terrible start that's done for them, unfortunately. 

Ainsworth is one of several I'd be happy with. None of them will end up here.

• Like 1

We are firmly at the crossroads now, we've stuck in the past with stability and empty words. Now it's time to twist it's as simple as that.

I'd rather land in the middle of the division somewhere at least looking like we've had a genuine go for most of it. Than go round in the inevitable circles we have been with an attitude of 'oh well it is what it is' whilst some feather their own needs and we end up midtable anyway.

We need some va va voom back in the club.

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

In normal circumstances I spend about 10 weeks a year, sometimes 13 or 14 in Brittany. I dont think Pelissier would do well at Rovers as it's a very different set up and I haven't a clue  whether he speaks English. Any manager that can get his team, in the relegation zone, to beat PSG with most of their big stars playing has to be doing a good job. They're still hovering around the relegation zone but did well away at Marseille yesterday, only beaten by a late goal.

I'm not sure for me that Venkys Rovers do come first. I feel less connection with the current set up than I do with other teams I'm interested in in other sports or playing football in other countries. Do I want Rovers to do well again? Yes of course I do. Will I be back at Ewood? Not for the foreseeable future.

Being a Rovers fan ceased being a joy even before Venkeys turned up. It ceased being even something I enjoyed shortly after their arrival, and although I persisted as a season ticket holder, they lost me when they closed my stand and appointed Coyle at the same time. Either of those and i might have hung on but both together was too much. I still follow scores when were playing and theres always part of me that rejoices in a win but I no longer feel the connection that took me all over the country. I no longer plan my life around attending Ewood. I no longer go to youth games. I no longer know who we're playing over the next 6 weeks or enter the entire season's fixtures in my diary when they come out.

10 weeks?  Are you walking through?  Surely you can't be staying there, it's full of french people lol.  I jest, but Pelissier has done well for Lorient and am glad you are getting your 'fix' from another womans busom.  I can definitly relate to the lack of connection with Rovers after the last decade, it's been a trying time being a Rover after such a metoric rise in the 90s.  It's been like watching a loved one send themselves to an early grave.

9 hours ago, RoverInverness said:

What trophies did England win in the 1970s?? I think we failed to qualify for two World Cups! 

When I was younger, 80s - 90s - 00s, England had lots of heart and passion, a dangerous cutting edge, but lacked technical ability. Now, IMO, England seem to have technical ability (well we can play more than 442 at last and don’t give away possession as cheaply as previous generations) but seem to lack the heart and passion of previous generations.

By 70s I meant people in their 70s, so 50s/60s playing ageish. 

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

Ainsworth or any new manager would be able to rebuild their own squad from this summer with us having so many players out of contract this summer. 

Also does he play 4-3-3 formation there cos its suits the players he has and the resources there. 

I bet he would play Gallagher as number 9 and not as wide forward as Mowbray does

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Me neither

Get a tough nut in who'll bark at our lazy, complacent squad and tell them some home truths, not a Rovers fan.

Sam or Wllder is fine.

Tough Nut? If you honestly don't think Ainsworth wouldn't tell the players some home truths then you are deluded and don't know the person. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Look at the job he has done at Wycombe and the financial resources he had whilst achieving 2 promotions. 

2 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

If he can fluke a promotion, we definitely need him here.

Lorient fluked promotion because they had a good start to the season and when they finished the season early because of covid, promotion happened because of how they worked out the points. If the season had finished normally, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been promoted as results were going the wrong way at the time and they were dropping down the table. 

I don’t know if it’s apathy or what but I’ve gone from thinking we can do better than ainsworth to thinking sod it, he could be brilliant he might not be but he’s one of us who would give his all. No bs, lying, no ah wells. No flogging training grounds for backhanders. One of us. If he’s trying his best I could get behind that. With this shower in charge and what could follow whether that be Mowbray staying or whatever other chancer is on the agencies books I firmly would have him as my number one choice 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Because he has fantastic hair 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the job he has done at Wycombe and the financial resources he had whilst achieving 2 promotions. 

John Coleman has got 4 promotions at Accy who are a smaller club than Wycombe. Haven't seen him mentioned.

Yes Ainsworth has done well. If you want a list of others who have done well on shoestring budgets in the lower leagues it will stretch to a long list.

Again he might be a top manager one day. Just think there's too much being attached to his background. There really needs to be a lot more going into this appointment than plumping for the most obvious name because he comes from Blackburn. Lazy.

Just now, JHRover said:

John Coleman has got 4 promotions at Accy who are a smaller club than Wycombe. Haven't seen him mentioned.

Yes Ainsworth has done well. If you want a list of others who have done well on shoestring budgets in the lower leagues it will stretch to a long list.

Again he might be a top manager one day. Just think there's too much being attached to his background. There really needs to be a lot more going into this appointment than plumping for the most obvious name because he comes from Blackburn. Lazy.

If you don't want Ainsworth here that fine. But some fans would. Yes Ainsworth is a Rovers fan and from the area. Why is that such a negative for you and other people like @roversfan99

He has done very well in the job at Wycombe. And I think a move to Rovers he would jump at it. It could be a good move. 

Any appointment is a risk even a Wilder or Hughes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you don't want Ainsworth here that fine. But some fans would. Yes Ainsworth is a Rovers fan and from the area. Why is that such a negative for you and other people like @roversfan99

He has done very well in the job at Wycombe. And I think a move to Rovers he would jump at it. It could be a good move. 

Any appointment is a risk even a Wilder or Hughes. 

Who he supports isn't a negative per se. I just think it is a lazy way of dealing with a managerial appointment. 

As a club we need to be clever to get where we want to be.

Bringing emotion and sentiment into this sort of decision is very risky.

This is a club losing £20 million a year and needs to be getting promoted quickly. I'd hope the people responsible for such a major appointment wouldn't be hung up on a candidates emotions or place of birth.

Let's face it. The reason Ainsworth is a hot topic is because he comes from Blackburn. Yes he's done very well with Wycombe. I'll ask again. Why does that put him ahead of Paul Warne, or John Coleman?

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I take your point, but Coleman has never taken Accy to The Championship.

To us, Ainsworth might be an obvious name, but not to Venkys advisers.

I get why people have their reservations, but just wait until we appoint another dinosaur / complete dud and you can pretty much guarantee that Ainsworth will immediately be seen in a better light!

Ainsworth is a realistic target who would almost certainly accept the job.

He would put his heart and soul into the job.

He comes across as bright and charismatic. In my book, that, added to a decent CV at a small club,  gives him at least half a chance of making the step up.

• Like 8

Just now, martonrover said:

I take your point, but Coleman has never taken Accy to The Championship.

To us, Ainsworth might be an obvious name, but not to Venkys advisers.

I get why people have their reservations, but just wait until we appoint another dinosaur / complete dud and you can pretty much guarantee that Ainsworth will immediately be seen in a better light!

Ainsworth is a realistic target who would almost certainly accept the job.

He would put his heart and soul into the job.

He comes across as bright and charismatic. In my book, that, added to a decent CV at a small club,  gives him at least half a chance of making the step up.

All correct. But why are we looking at managers needing and hoping they will make the 'step up'?

Why not just aim for one already at the step we are and take out any risk of not being able to take the step up?

A decent CV at a small club shouldn't be enough to land the job of managing Blackburn Rovers with serious aspirations of promotion to the Prem. 

People like McCarthy and Warnock fit the criteria of 'dinosaurs' both being vastly experienced and have been around the block. I'd love either here and both would be a much lesser gamble than Ainsworth.

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Who he supports isn't a negative per se. I just think it is a lazy way of dealing with a managerial appointment. 

As a club we need to be clever to get where we want to be.

Bringing emotion and sentiment into this sort of decision is very risky.

This is a club losing £20 million a year and needs to be getting promoted quickly. I'd hope the people responsible for such a major appointment wouldn't be hung up on a candidates emotions or place of birth.

Let's face it. The reason Ainsworth is a hot topic is because he comes from Blackburn. Yes he's done very well with Wycombe. I'll ask again. Why does that put him ahead of Paul Warne, or John Coleman?

I am fully aware of the financial situation at the club but why couldn't Ainsworth take us to the PL on the same budget as Mowbray had?

Has Coleman took a club to Championship? 

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

All correct. But why are we looking at managers needing and hoping they will make the 'step up'?

Why not just aim for one already at the step we are and take out any risk of not being able to take the step up?

A decent CV at a small club shouldn't be enough to land the job of managing Blackburn Rovers with serious aspirations of promotion to the Prem. 

People like McCarthy and Warnock fit the criteria of 'dinosaurs' both being vastly experienced and have been around the block. I'd love either here and both would be a much lesser gamble than Ainsworth.

Warnock ain't coming here after the last time fiasco. 

Why shouldnt we appoint an up and coming manager? 

Can we attract Wilder to the job? 

I would be very happy with Hughes appointment with Bowen and Bellamy on his coaching staff would be my ideal appointment. But after that Ainsworth  Ñeil or Rowett are realistic appointment who would improve us after the 12 months of Mowbray. 

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Any appointment is a risk even a Wilder

Is that a joke?  Norwich get relegated stick with the manger straight back up, the knuckledraggers stuck with Dyche....Sheff Utd have made a massive error getting rid.

Best man for the job by a mile. A complete and utter shithouse of a manger who would sort it out.  Although he isn't a yes man, so it probably would never work.  Can't imagine him flying to Pune to kiss Balajis big fat arse.

• Like 3

The one thing that Ainsworth would bring is the certainty that he would never be a Venky stooge. The fans need someone they can trust and someone who can rebuild bridges.

McCarthy or Warnock could come in and do a decent job before moving on. The job that Ainsworth could do off the pitch is as important as success on the pitch - to me anyway.

Managers who gain Venky's trust seem to stick around but that cosy relationship with the owners can alienate the fans. I believe Ainsworth could be trusted on both sides of the divide and possibly begin the healing process.

Even if we remained the the championship for the forseeable future, we could rest assured that the manager was not simply milking the Blackburn Rovers cash cow.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am fully aware of the financial situation at the club but why couldn't Ainsworth take us to the PL on the same budget as Mowbray had?

Has Coleman took a club to Championship? 

Warnock ain't coming here after the last time fiasco. 

Why shouldnt we appoint an up and coming manager? 

Can we attract Wilder to the job? 

I would be very happy with Hughes appointment with Bowen and Bellamy on his coaching staff would be my ideal appointment. But after that Ainsworth  Ñeil or Rowett are realistic appointment who would improve us after the 12 months of Mowbray. 

I'm not saying he couldn't. I'm saying it is a big risk that appears to be based more on his origins in Blackburn than on anything else. 

I've already named half a dozen other managers who have also taken unfashionable, low budget clubs to the Championship in the last 10 years. I haven't seen any of those people linked to the job and can only assume the reason for that is because they weren't born in Blackburn. Infact I'm sure if Gary Johnson, Darren Ferguson or Steve Evans were the names being put forward there would be uproar, yet I fail to see what Ainsworth has done that the others haven't.

I've already explained why we shouldn't appoint an 'up and coming' manager e.g. one from the lower divisions - it is a compete gamble and unnecessary risk when the club cannot afford another gamble.

Wilder has just left Sheffield United en route to relegation and previously managed Northampton, Oxford and Halifax. Can we attract him to the job? Good god, we've got problems if not. 

I agree on Neil and Rowett because both have proven over many years that they have what it takes to haul clubs from the bottom end of this league into the top 6 or contention on limited budgets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

They are competent dinosaurs, not the type that we would most likely appoint.

I was gutted when we hired Coyle over Warnock, but feel that both he and McCarthy are now both finally past their sell by dates.

However, I would still prefer either to Mowbray.

The reality is we're not a big enough draw to lure a Bielsa or someone who would almost guarantee success.

We still have a decent pool to fish in, but opting for a Neil or a Rowett , (who have both been touted), would be unimaginative and no more likely than an up and coming candidate, (eg Ainsworth), to succeed.

Venkys are still guilty of trying to put the cart before the horse. We need a competent, functioning and empowered CEO first.

Then we might finally start to progress and get these types of decision right.

I'm not saying he couldn't. I'm saying it is a big risk that appears to be based more on his origins in Blackburn than on anything else. 

I've already named half a dozen other managers who have also taken unfashionable, low budget clubs to the Championship in the last 10 years. I haven't seen any of those people linked to the job and can only assume the reason for that is because they weren't born in Blackburn. Infact I'm sure if Gary Johnson, Darren Ferguson or Steve Evans were the names being put forward there would be uproar, yet I fail to see what Ainsworth has done that the others haven't.

I've already explained why we shouldn't appoint an 'up and coming' manager e.g. one from the lower divisions - it is a compete gamble and unnecessary risk when the club cannot afford another gamble.

I dont see appointing Ainsworth as big risk and no more a risk than Wilder or Hughes. 

Darren Ferguson would be decent appointment for me. But wouldn't be on my shortlist. 

I've have already explained why I think Ainsworth has achieve more for me and on his budget than tho managers you mention. 

Wilder has just left Sheffield United en route to relegation and previously managed Northampton, Oxford and Halifax. Can we attract him to the job? Good god, we've got problems if not. 

Why have we got problems if we cant attract Wilder? 

Wilder did an outstanding job at Sheffield United but he is old school manager who wants completely control of the football side. Are Rovers willing to give him this?