BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

There’s a difference between being able to attract said managers, I think we can; pay, status, facilities, pay decent wages for players, and if the club is set up to discover them in the first place and then go and get them, which we probably aren’t.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

There’s a difference between being able to attract said managers, I think we can; pay, status, facilities, pay decent wages for players, and if the club is set up to discover them in the first place and then go and get them, which we probably aren’t.

Which is what I said a few posts back 😉 

Also, the stuff you mention to attract a manager like him, other clubs n this division are miles ahead of us as things stand 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Did you? I assumed you believed Rovers aren’t attractive because we are a basket case club. That won’t bother foreign managers as they often work for nutters. 

We won’t be ‘down the queue’ as you put it, as we wouldn’t get our act together to be in the queue to start with.

• Like 3

So thinking a bit more on this and my previous involvement in this thread got me thinking we need our Hasslebank. 

What I mean by that is our manager who is a great fit for us and works well with us, even if they aren't the greatest of managers. Hasslebank's record it has been pointed out isn't that great away from Burton but at Burton it really works. Am sure there are other examples and fits like that as well. We just need to find ours. Could Hughes be that person?

Of course had we competent people doing the recruitment I'd feel more confident in this. But on the flip side thinking on needing the right fit Vs a good manager, makes me a little more confident that we may alight on the right candidate. If TM ever goes that is. 

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting Derek Adams as the next Rovers Manager but I just checked out his record. - All lower league and Scotland but an impressive CV.

He got 2 promotions at Ross County and then kept them well placed in SPL. Also a cup final ( beating Celtic on the way - not checked if Mowbray was there at the time! ) and a 40 match unbeaten run between league 1 and prem.

He got Plymouth promoted from l2 and within 1 place of playoffs in L1. Now doing wonders at Morecambe.

Wouldn't be surprised if PNE look at him as an option. 

• Like 4

On 09/04/2021 at 12:18, Mattyblue said:

Did you? I assumed you believed Rovers aren’t attractive because we are a basket case club. That won’t bother foreign managers as they often work for nutters. 

We won’t be ‘down the queue’ as you put it, as we wouldn’t get our act together to be in the queue to start with.

Which is the same thing 

Other clubs are basket cases, with basket case owners, but at least most of those owners have some idea of how football works. Even Leeds when they had a headcase owners made some decent appointments. The Venkys have yet to make a decent appointment. I'm hoping to be surprised 

Well it isn’t the same thing, as it isn’t the infrastructure of the club holding us back, it’s the imbecilic owners, but we certainly agree that this club won’t be bringing in a Wagner/Ismael type appointment.

Edited by Mattyblue

24 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I'm not suggesting Derek Adams as the next Rovers Manager but I just checked out his record. - All lower league and Scotland but an impressive CV.

He got 2 promotions at Ross County and then kept them well placed in SPL. Also a cup final ( beating Celtic on the way - not checked if Mowbray was there at the time! ) and a 40 match unbeaten run between league 1 and prem.

He got Plymouth promoted from l2 and within 1 place of playoffs in L1. Now doing wonders at Morecambe.

He's a decent shout actually. 

On 30/12/2020 at 16:49, LDRover said:

As a leftfield and probably more realistic suggestion, Derek Adams at Morecambe is doing an unbelievable job with very little. Also get the added bonus of him bringing the prodigal son home with him to solve our goalscoring issues, come on home Jordan Slew.

Still doing an unbelievable job

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Think it's a very good shout for Preston next head coach. 

It's taken a while and it may be too late to save them but it looks like Sam has turned West Brom around. Assuming he leaves if the Baggies go down he'll be a free agent again, and the owners could do nothing better than admit to their biggest mistake in sacking him 10 years ago and ask him to come back

We can all dream

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's taken a while and it may be too late to save them but it looks like Sam has turned West Brom around. Assuming he leaves if the Baggies go down he'll be a free agent again, and the owners could do nothing better than admit to their biggest mistake in sacking him 10 years ago and ask him to come back

We can all dream

Not for me.

• Like 1

I've been very impressed by the job Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has done at Burton. Worth a look for us imo. Had a massive impact on them since joining them in terms of results. 

Other choices you could look at Uwe Rosler with Rob Kelly as his number 2 if you want an overseas head coach with English football experience. 

Then just look at the out of work British managers out there currently. Some good or decent options. These are :- Chris Wilder, Mark Hughes, Neil Harris or Gary Monk. 

I've been impressed with Derek Adams since his Plymouth days. 

But he isn't from Blackburn nor did he used to play for or manage us so probably rules him out.

He'd also cost some sort of compensation which probably means a no from Venkys

Still think Chris Wilder is the one and that he would come here if the right offer was made - control over transfers, allowed his own coaching staff and left to get on with the job. Didn't exactly have it easy with the owners at Sheff Utd.

Someone in the Championship will get him soon. Why can't it be us?

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Still think Chris Wilder is the one and that he would come here if the right offer was made - control over transfers, allowed his own coaching staff and left to get on with the job. Didn't exactly have it easy with the owners at Sheff Utd.

Exactly JH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I've been impressed with Derek Adams since his Plymouth days. 

But he isn't from Blackburn nor did he used to play for or manage us so probably rules him out.

He'd also cost some sort of compensation which probably means a no from Venkys

Because our manager is going nowhere

Lambert was a good appointment as were those appointed around him. Had us on the cusp of the playoffs before off-field infighting sabotaged the season. He had the team playing in the formation he wanted, 352, winning the two last games using it. He'd worked out what he needed and had costed it out. He didn't get it and walked. He had a chip on his shoulder when he joined us and now it's the size of a metaphorical mountain. He wouldn't be a good choice even to the end of the season. He's no reason not to want to see us relegated.

• Like 2